Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: TALIMENA 1
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Joseph Mills
We've had to move the date to a week later, which is Saturday, April 23rd. Don't ask why. biggrin.gif

Maybe it will allow a few more to attend. We also have a few more details worked out.

We are going to meet in Clayton, OK, which is about 25 miles southwest from Talihina where we approach Highway #1 for Talimena Drive. Clayton is an equal distance between Oklahoma City and Dallas.

The AA Motel in Clayton will be our motel of choice. It's a classic single story, "car" motel that is well run and has a nice parking lot off the road. It's inexpensive and has several units with kitchenettes. It's located right on "main street".

We will meet in the parking lot of the motel at 10:00am Saturday and start the drive at 11:00am.

The tour itself consists of 60 miles of blacktop that runs on top of the ridge line of Winding Stair Mountain and Rich Mountain in the Ouachita National Forest. This highway is filled with sharp curves and 13% grades of unbroken blacktop. There are lots of both low and high speed turns with many tight switchbacks that are often preceded by steep downhill grades. Your brakes should be in good condition.

Overall, the road surface itself is in very good shape with only occasional, rough areas. There are many scenic vistas that overlook the valleys for pulling over and regrouping, or taking some pics. All of it comes together so nicely, that even if you're temporarily stuck behind a slow moving RV, it's still a cool drive.

After a break, and lunch in Mena, AR, we will do the drive all over again back to Clayton. For those of you that need to head back home, we plan on being back in Clayton by 6:00pm

Everyone is welcome to stay in Clayton Saturday night for dinner and drinks, returning home Sunday morning.

That's it for now. So who is in with the new date change and who is out? And who's just thinkin'bout it? biggrin.gif
Joseph Mills
Forgot. Here's a pic taken from Talimena Drive.

That gray car belongs to James Adams. He's an engineer. He likes to park in the safety zone. biggrin.gif
jr91472
hot damn I'm in smilie_pokal.gif

the previous weekend was a issue for me. Hope everyone else can make it too.

monkeydance.gif
TheCabinetmaker
Four from T-town. Brian, Kevin, Tim, and myself.
Joseph Mills
QUOTE (jr91472 @ Feb 17 2005, 07:18 PM)
hot damn I'm in smilie_pokal.gif
the previous weekend was a issue for me.  Hope everyone else can make it too.

JR: Excellent! Glad you can make it.

Now who else do you know in the Dallas/Fort Worth area?

Here's the list of interested parties I copied from our original posting:

Texas:

DougC - Dallas
jr91472 - McKinney
cha914 - Austin
ClayPerrine - Hurst
David S - Dimmitt

Oklahoma:

vsg914 - Tulsa
Brian - Tulsa
Kevin - Tulsa
Tim - Tulsa
cametal - OKC
Joseph - OKC

We need some drivers from Arkansas! biggrin.gif
TheCabinetmaker
Three of the 4 Tulsa cars are ready to go and the fourth will be ready next week. How about you Arkansas guys?

Joe, do we need to reserve rooms at the Clayton motel?
Joseph Mills
Bad news!

My mountainbike team, Team BodyBag biggrin.gif is putting on a downhill race the same weekend. I was positive it was the following weekend. Sorry.

I called the AA motel and between the downhill race and a group of rock climbing 4WD Jeeps, ALL the rooms are booked.

I'll get on the net later today and report back with a new venue.

Joseph Mills
Okay! We have a new venue!

We will meet in the town of Talihina itself. It is right next to the start of our drive and will offer a few more eating establishments than Clayton has.

Our meeting spot will be at the Kiamichi Inn. It's a 60's style motel in downtown talihina. The address is 504 Dallas St.

For reservations call 918-567-2243 and ask for "Kitty", the owner. biggrin.gif

Kitty says her rooms are very clean and "updated".

Here are the special 914 rates:
1 person 32.93
1 bed 2 people 38.41
2 bed 2 people 43.90

Tell her you're with the 914 group and ask for non-smoking... she's going to group our rooms together. If you're planning on returning home on sunday morning, be sure to call and reserve your room now. You can always cancel later if you need to.

We will meet in Kitty's parking lot at 10:00am and plan on departing at 11:00.

seanery
those are incredible prices!
Joseph Mills
icon_bump.gif

TheCabinetmaker
All T-town cars are ready to go!
DougC
Joseph - thanks for posting this info and arranging everything. I, unfortunately will not be able to attend yet again.. For one thing my 914 isn't going to be ready. I was going to be taking the E30 M3 but we'll have a two week old baby (si' Dios quieres) by then so I should stay close to home for a while. Guess I wasn't thinking when you originally posted dates. Thanks again though!

Doug C
TheCabinetmaker
Joseph, do we have an updated list for who is coming? Have we heard anything from the Arkansas folks? Hey Arkansas guys, where are you? wavey.gif

Is Kitty gonna let us have a cookout in the parking lot? I've got a grill that will cook about ten burgers at a time, and fits in perfectly in the front trunk.

If you are planning to attend, please add your name.
Joseph Mills
QUOTE (vsg914 @ Mar 30 2005, 08:20 AM)
Joseph, do we have an updated list for who is coming? Have we heard anything from the Arkansas folks? Hey Arkansas guys, where are you?   wavey.gif

Is Kitty gonna let us have a cookout in the parking lot? I've got a grill that will cook about ten burgers at a time, and fits in perfectly in the front trunk.

If you are planning to attend, please add your name.

Curt,

I will update the list next week and see about getting it "nailed" by a friendly admin.

Of course they may not do it since we are in direct competition with WCC and will adversely affect their attendance figures. biggrin.gif

Maybe Arkansas folk are like the Texas folk... no running 914s biggrin.gif

Kitty does not have a problem with a cookout in her parking lot. Since your stove fits so well, maybe you could just leave the grill fired up in the back with the trunk lid off and we could pickup a few extra bucks driving around town selling burgers hot off the grill - ice cream man style.

Viable retirement plan? biggrin.gif

Don't forget to call in your reservation.

"For reservations call 918-567-2243 and ask for "Kitty", the owner."

beerchug.gif
ClayPerrine
The "friendly admin" nailed the thread for you....... biggrin.gif

Betty and I are driving up Friday night, arriving late. We have reservations

See everyone there!!! driving-girl.gif <- Betty

smash.gif <- Clay (The ride along mechanic)
ClayPerrine
Update for everyone going.

About 2 weeks ago, I printed off this thread and gave it to my neighbor with the 75 2.0, Well, I was leaving for FLAPS, and he came up and told me that he and his wife are going too.

For those of you who never heard the story, we moved into our new house a year ago last Feb. Bob and Debbie bought the lot next door and started building their house before we ever met them. It was a real suprise to find out that they had a 914 too!!!!

I was actually after Foxman and his wife to buy the house on the other side of me, but he had to move out in the country...... biggrin.gif lol2.gif

Everyone needs to Welcome Bob and Debbie McKinney! Bob is the original owner of his 75 2.0. smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif

They are leaving Friday night with us.

Everyone needs to be "gentle" (Betty's words) with Bob and Debbie. They have never done anything with a 914 group before.

schosser
I can't commit one way or the other till I figure out why my car went "exxon valdez" on me last week. If its a simple problem I'll probably be there. (Yeah Yeah there are never any simple oil leaks on these things) . I've driven that area before and it is a hoot.
I don't think I've ever seen another running 914 when visiting Arkansas. From Memhis this is a bit of a drive, (4+hours) but still doable.
Bill.

For some real automotive culture shock check out the dirt track in Mena!
Bill
TheCabinetmaker
Welcome Bill. Hope you can make it. why don't ya post a question on the forum about your oil leak. I'd bet we can help.

Curt
Joseph Mills
QUOTE (ClayPerrine @ Apr 3 2005, 09:33 PM)
For those of you who never heard the story, we moved into our new house a year ago last Feb. Bob and Debbie bought the lot next door and started building their house before we ever met them. It was a real suprise to find out that they had a 914 too!!!!

I was actually after Foxman and his wife to buy the house on the other side of me, but he had to move out in the country...... biggrin.gif lol2.gif

Everyone needs to Welcome Bob and Debbie McKinney! Bob is the original owner of his 75 2.0. smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif

They are leaving Friday night with us.

Everyone needs to be "gentle" (Betty's words) with Bob and Debbie. They have never done anything with a 914 group before.

Welcome Bob & Debbie. An original 914 owner! I look forward to meeting you and seeing your car. I have a 75' also (not very pretty).

You may not know this, but Clay has a lift in his garage nextdoor. biggrin.gif

So is Foxman and his wife going also? Names?

Hey Bill, like Curt said, post some questions... there's plenty of help around here.

Here's a Talimena Drive pic:
ClayPerrine
Joseph.

I will have to print this and give it to Bob. They aren't online. Neither of them are real computer people. Bob is an accountant and Debbie works at a Legal firm.

I don't know if Jason (Foxman) and his wife are going. He won't be in his 914 if he does show. The drivers floorpan around the pedals is gone......

schosser - you pansie.... We have a 4:45 minute drive to get there after work on Friday. The 4 of us in 2 914s figure to leave sometime between 3:30 and 4:00, so figure 5 hours IF ( and that is a big IF) we miss the traffic heading out of Dallas. We will probably hit the motel around 11:00 PM.

Somebody please leave the light on for us.... biggrin.gif
jr91472
Well it hasn't been easy, but the god of children's weekend athletic scheduling has finally smiled upon me......I am back IN mueba.gif mueba.gif

I made my reservation with Kitty for Saturday nite. Unfortunately I won't be able to leave here till Saturday morning. So look for me around 10am at the hotel.

Is there anyone else from the Dallas area leaving Saturday morning? Say around 6 am?

Joseph, let me know if there is anything else I need to bring or prepare for, and thanks for setting this up!!!!!

signed,
one more running TX 914!!!!! aktion035.gif aktion035.gif

Joseph Mills
TALIMENA 1

Okay... just to recap and get everything in one place....

Saturday, April 23rd
10:00am (meet in parking lot)
Kiamichi Inn (504 Dallas St.)
Talihina, OK ( http://www.talihinacc.com/ ).

For reservations call 918-567-2243. Tell "Kitty" you're with the 914 group.
Rates:
1 person 32.93
1 bed 2 people 38.41
2 bed 2 people 43.90

We will plan on heading out from Kitty's parking lot around 11:00am.

I will bring two of my 2-way radios. If you have some, bring'em... along with your mobil phone.

Remember, this is a 120 mile round trip - be adequately prepared... or be prepared to be adequately humiliated. smile.gif

JR: Glad you can make it! I moved you off the iffy list.

Current suspects:

Texas:
Clay & Betty - Hurst
David S - Dimmitt
Bob & Debbie
JR - McKinney

Oklahoma:
vsg914 - Tulsa
Brian - Tulsa
Kevin - Tulsa
Tim - Tulsa
Craig & Linda- OKC
Joseph - OKC

Currently Iffy or No Go:
DougC - Dallas
Tony - Austin (road warrior - you never know)
Bill - Arkansas (you can do it!)

We have 120 miles of beautiful driving in store.

The tour will be similar in nature to the MUSR road tours, in that there will be opportunities for some "spirited" driving, but it is not a race, nor is it a competition. If you want to race, meet me at the MUSR AX. All participants are encouraged to drive at their own comfortable pace. We will be stopping on numerous occasions for "breaks" at the scenic viewpoints and a few "photo ops'. This will allow us to re-group when necessary. Bring your camera!
TheCabinetmaker
Joe, Tim's wife is due to deliver their first bay next week sometime, so ya better scratch him from the list. There ain't no way he's gonna get away with going.

Uh, I think I meant baby.
Joseph Mills
Hey Gang,

Curt and I propose we have a "teener's cookout" in the parking lot at the motel Saturday night after returning from our Talimena 1 Tour so that we can sit around and admire our steeds. rolleyes.gif

We will furnish everything for the cookout. At this point we're thinking the fare to be hamburgers and franks, cole slaw and baked beans. Maybe a small dish of sorbet to cleanse the palet. LOL. Should run about 4-5 bucks each. All you will need is an appetite, lawn chair and a 914.

We should have beautiful weather for alfresco dining. We can park the teeners in a circle, like covered wagons. biggrin.gif

If you prefer to go to a restaurant , that's fine too - you can join us later in the evening. But we need a head count for those interested in the cookout so we can determine how many we need to prepare for.

So rsvp for your teener cafe table please. dry.gif
jr91472
QUOTE (joseph222 @ Apr 18 2005, 07:54 PM)
So rsvp for your teener cafe table please. dry.gif

sounds perfect!!!! Count me in.
Joseph Mills
Smoking, or non smoking? biggrin.gif
ClayPerrine
Betty and I are in for the picnic/parking lot gathering. I have not had a chance to to talk to Bob and Debbie, but I think they will go along with anything we want to do.

See everyone friday night.
TheCabinetmaker
We'll be there early Saturday morning Clay. See ya then.
jr91472
By chance, does anyone going to OK, have one of those oil thermostat thingys? You know thing you stick into the dipstick tube to measure actual oil temp?

I would love to be able to compare actual oil temps to my guage reading.....especially after some serious highway miles

just curious wink.gif

thx
ClayPerrine
Yes, I have a pyrometer that will do that. I will stick a new battery in it and bring it with me.
jr91472
QUOTE (ClayPerrine @ Apr 21 2005, 07:03 PM)
Yes, I have a pyrometer that will do that. I will stick a new battery in it and bring it with me.

awsome....thanks smilie_pokal.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.