Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wilwood rotor question.....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mueller
I thought I read a few years back that compared to the factory and some of the higher end rotor manufactures that the Wilwoods have a tendancy of not lasting or holding up to abuse as well as the others...

anyone have 1st hand experiance with this ??

Dad Roberts
Mike.......A guy on Samba has them on a Type III. About all I got out of his post was that they are 4 piston? Someone has questioned him about size. I will follow it and let you know. Are these Wilwoods a bolt on ?? Type III calipers have the 3 inch spacing also. If so ....price?? I'm still thinking about putting my front calipers in place of the 914 rears I'm currently running. I do not need the Ebrake, haven't used one in years on this car. I need something for the front......nothing elaborate, just something that will work. Right now I have mainly fronts with what seems like very little rears. New 19 mm MC and new front calipers. Braided stainless hose, throughout. Pedal is good.....just unsure of performance.........Dad driving.gif .... carefully biggrin.gif
Mueller
Hey Pops smile.gif

For my calipers I am using '86-'91 RX-7 Turbo calipers, they are dirt cheap 4-piston design....the bad news is the spacing is 158mm (6.222") centerline to centerline.
I'm making bolt-on adapters for my application

My rotors and hats are going to be from Wilwood....

Wilwood does have a brand new caliper out that is radial mount (mounting holes are 90° from the axis of the spindle compared to the stock mounting holes which are parallel to the spindle)...these are about $150 ea, but that price does not include the mounting bracket. I'm waiting to hook up with a Bug/Type III guy up in my area, once I do, I hope to be able to take some measurements and see what we can do for your car.....

URY914
QUOTE (Mueller @ Feb 18 2005, 10:05 AM)
Hey Pops smile.gif

For my calipers I am using '86-'91 RX-7 Turbo calipers, they are dirt cheap 4-piston design....the bad news is the spacing is 158mm (6.222") centerline to centerline.
I'm making bolt-on adapters for my application

My rotors and hats are going to be from Wilwood....

Wilwood does have a brand new caliper out that is radial mount (mounting holes are 90° from the axis of the spindle compared to the stock mounting holes which are parallel to the spindle)...these are about $150 ea, but that price does not include the mounting bracket. I'm waiting to hook up with a Bug/Type III guy up in my area, once I do, I hope to be able to take some measurements and see what we can do for your car.....

Is there a ALUMINUM caliper that will bolt up to the stock mounting holes?

Those stock iron ones are killing me.

Mueller
QUOTE (URY914 @ Feb 18 2005, 11:08 AM)

nope sad.gif

at least I cannot find one.....

I have an idea on how to mount the wilwood single dynalight (and keep your existing rotors), but it involves some cutting and welding, which I know you can handle welder.gif

for a lightweight bolt-on (sorta) solution, you'd be looking at about $700 just for parts...

Mark Henry
I know that the bug units are not as strong or long lasting as ghia callipers, don’t have a clue about a 914 app.

Hey Mike… finally figured out why you got 94mm Nickies….well, actually Charles phoned me last night for a chat.
Nice, I would like to know what crank you're running and how much shim you’ll need under the jugs when you do your deck height.
Might have a guy interested in a similar set up.
URY914
QUOTE (Mueller @ Feb 18 2005, 10:21 AM)
QUOTE (URY914 @ Feb 18 2005, 11:08 AM)

nope sad.gif

at least I cannot find one.....

I have an idea on how to mount the wilwood single dynalight (and keep your existing rotors), but it involves some cutting and welding, which I know you can handle welder.gif

for a lightweight bolt-on (sorta) solution, you'd be looking at about $700 just for parts...

$700??? ohmy.gif

The pain ($) to gain (speed) ratio isn't right for that one.

I'll stay with stock. smile.gif

Paul
Mueller
QUOTE (Mark Henry @ Feb 18 2005, 11:35 AM)
I know that the bug units are not as strong or long lasting as ghia callipers, don’t have a clue about a 914 app.

Hey Mike… finally figured out why you got 94mm Nickies….well, actually Charles phoned me last night for a chat.
Nice, I would like to know what crank you're running and how much shim you’ll need under the jugs when you do your deck height.
Might have a guy interested in a similar set up.

my engine parts should be shipping out to me early next week boldblue.gif

I'm going with a 78mm counterweighted crank.....totally clueless about the shims for now screwy.gif
Mark Henry
I'm getting around .140 lower pin, so a rough guesstamate would be a .250 shim.

It will make the engine a bit wide, but that's not a huge deal.
URY914
Hey wasn't this post about brakes? wacko.gif

P
lapuwali
QUOTE (URY914 @ Feb 18 2005, 10:08 AM)

Not that I know of, but there are lots of calipers you could use that are pretty light. You just need to have adapters made. Wilwood 4-pucks are as little as $100 each new, and they do have some that will work with the thin stock rotors.
URY914
QUOTE (lapuwali @ Feb 18 2005, 12:09 PM)
QUOTE (URY914 @ Feb 18 2005, 10:08 AM)

Not that I know of, but there are lots of calipers you could use that are pretty light. You just need to have adapters made. Wilwood 4-pucks are as little as $100 each new, and they do have some that will work with the thin stock rotors.

I've looked at the Wilwoods and I've been waiting for Mueller to make some adapter/brackets. dry.gif

I just need to find one and figure out how to do it meself. Oh well.

Paul

Mueller
QUOTE (URY914 @ Feb 18 2005, 01:09 PM)

P

get my PM ??? smile.gif

...really?? I'm still not sure why I got them, hahahhaha

URY914
QUOTE (Mueller @ Feb 18 2005, 12:16 PM)
QUOTE (URY914 @ Feb 18 2005, 01:09 PM)

P

get my PM ??? smile.gif

I guess I spoke too soon. I got your PM and replied.

I've looked at the drawing of the Dynalight on thier website, but haven't spent a lot of time trying to figure it out.

Paul
Mark Henry
Paul pissoff.gif this is my hijack wink.gif

Mike, the cimas are a good piston and with the offset pin the piston rocks a lot more gentle when it hits TDC. I think it's a cool (and cheaper) combo.

I almost did this, with 93's bored out to 94mm, before I went for the 103's.

end of hijack.....
URY914
They used to hijack planes to Cuba, now you hijack threads to Canada.

What is the world coming to... confused24.gif

P
Mueller
90% of my SPAM is related to the f'n drug companies up in Canada..what's up with that??? ar15.gif

i'm really excited about my new motor....I have a stupid grin on my face just from driving my 1.8 914.....my poor 3.6 911* has been getting totally neglected due to the 914...

*I took it around the block over the weekend.....spun the cold 255mm wide tires about 75 feet going up the street MDB2.gif
the wife just shakes her head at me when I walk back into the house.... screwy.gif
Mark Henry
QUOTE (URY914 @ Feb 18 2005, 04:44 PM)
They used to hijack planes to Cuba, now you hijack threads to Canada.

What is the world coming to... confused24.gif

P

Paul…Don’t mess with a Canadian…I’ll put weights in your car!

Drugs are about half price from Canada, big business. US drug companies hate it and are lobbying to stop it.

How can they gouge (more like butt-fuch) the US public with cheap Canadian drugs on the market?

Whooooppps…Canadian hijacker at work…..Back off eh, I’m not kidding about the weights.
cha914
Damn! I just checked and those 4piston RX7 calipers can be had for 65 bucks each used!

So, what about a bolt on kit for these? beer.gif

I know there is a vw company (www.franklinsvwwerks.com) that is using these for a brake upgrade kit on a bay window bus, here is a pic, but it doesn't show how they are mounting it:

user posted image

also, these guys do some pretty cool porsche hubs/brake kits for the T1 crowd:

http://www.vdubcustoms.com/Wedo/pbrakes.htm

Tony
Dad Roberts
James!!!!...( lapuwali )...I new you would find me biggrin.gif. NOW.....I recognize your screen name. Glad to see I've got you workin over here, too. You say Wilwood has some for our thin rotors, do they also fit our brackets? Mike....James can probably help us with the bug/Type III questions. He has been very helpful to me. I think he's up your way, too................Dad driving.gif
Mueller
thanks for links Tony....the second place has some pretty neat items....I've seen others use the rear 911/930/944 rotors on the front. I was going to on my car, but i wanted to leave the billet hub exposed (not that you see much of it with the wheel mounted )

lapuwali
QUOTE (Dad Roberts @ Feb 18 2005, 01:43 PM)
James!!!!...( lapuwali )...I new you would find me biggrin.gif. NOW.....I recognize your screen name. Glad to see I've got you workin over here, too. You say Wilwood has some for our thin rotors, do they also fit our brackets? Mike....James can probably help us with the bug/Type III questions. He has been very helpful to me. I think he's up your way, too................Dad driving.gif

I have no idea if there are available brackets to fit Wilwoods to a VW or a 914. The Wilwood site has engineering drawings that should allow any competent machinist to make the Wilwood end of a bracket, so all someone needs to do is draw up the VW and/or 914 end of the bracket.

According to the drawings on Wilwood's site, the caliper ear spacing is 3.5", and the mount offset (ear to center of rotor) is 28.2mm for the version that fits a 9.7mm thick rotor, and 29.7 for the version that fits a 12.7mm thick rotor. I don't have any of the relevant dimensions on the VW/914/911 caliper mounts to know if this is close (other than 3.5" v 3" spacing) or way off.

To others, Dad asked me on The Samba if 914 bits bolt up to Type 3 caliper mounts, and I haven't a clue. Anyone here know? FWIW, the Type 3 front caliper/rotor/hub look a LOT like the 914 parts. It's been raining here, and my Type 3 is outside, otherwise I'd see if my 914 front calipers fit my T3 myself.

73notch
QUOTE (Dad Roberts @ Feb 18 2005, 09:38 AM)
Mike.......A guy on Samba has them on a Type III. About all I got out of his post was that they are 4 piston? Someone has questioned him about size. I will follow it and let you know. Are these Wilwoods a bolt on ?? Type III calipers have the 3 inch spacing also. If so ....price?? I'm still thinking about putting my front calipers in place of the 914 rears I'm currently running. I do not need the Ebrake, haven't used one in years on this car. I need something for the front......nothing elaborate, just something that will work. Right now I have mainly fronts with what seems like very little rears. New 19 mm MC and new front calipers. Braided stainless hose, throughout. Pedal is good.....just unsure of performance.........Dad driving.gif ....  carefully biggrin.gif

hey, thats me
what questions do you have about them?
the setup im using uses a stock type 3 rotor up front, and a trick rear aluminum hub that has a bolt on disc in the rear.its a pretty thin rotor in the back. 4 piston 1.75 inch pistons allround. It only increased my rear track by maybe 1/8 inch. i took pics, i need to find the camera cable to upload them.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.