Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Just a quick question on valves
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Allan
Correct?
red914
for 1.7s i think it is .006 and .006. at least that is what haynes says. (but i am pulling those numbers odd the top of my head)
TheCabinetmaker
That is what the factory says, however, I set both at .005.
Allan
This is a brand new 2.0. Should I decrease the clearances? Haynes says .006 intake and .008 exhaust.
Joe Bob
They gonna go clackity clack....but better than being too tight...
MecGen
Hey Dude
Off the top of my head, your on.
Problem is I surf at the house, so my tech stuff is at work, I am sure some guy going to give you a possitive answer, rite now, maybe even before I post this ar15.gif
Hey quick note : I run swivle (sp) feet adjusting screws, 2 different ways to do it, if you haven't done it, look it up. I took my 2.0l apart for the first time because a valve mushroomed to the point where I had to grind it off just to pass the very loose guide.
sawzall-smiley.gif
redshift
Go stock, .006/.008 until you break the motor in, and after 2-3 adjusts, do the .005 if you like.. you must watch closely for a tight one..

M
SirAndy
QUOTE (vsg914 @ Feb 17 2005, 05:24 PM)
That is what the factory says, however, I set both at .005.

yupp, when i was still running my 1.8 i set them both to .004 ..

gives you a little bit more umpf!
burnout.gif Andy
MecGen
OOOOPPPPS hit the wrong button, cont :
Just have to say it realy cut down on the noise ar15.gif
How many other guys use swivle feet (sp) ??
WBR
Joe

rock_band.gif
scotty b
I go 4&5 for 1.7-1.8 and straight 6's on 2.0 and seem to have a little better running than stock specs.
Allan
QUOTE (redshift @ Feb 17 2005, 05:36 PM)
Go stock, .006/.008 until you break the motor in, and after 2-3 adjusts, do the .005 if you like.. you must watch closely for a tight one..

M

I think this is good advise. This motor has alot of time and money invested in it. If I am wrong, show the seal what a 914 CLUB is!!!!!!!!
Allan
Redshift, I need you!!!!!!

ArgyBargy...........
redshift
WHA!!?

Uhoh.... did I misplace a decimal..

laugh.gif

M
SGB
Set it up exactly to stock and break it in fully -
it's hard.

I couldn't stand it and didn't keep revs up as long as instructed. I think one set of rings never set quite fully.

So follow all directions. Yeah.
redshift
Breaking in a cam is the most nerve wracking thing a person can ever do, hisself.

wacko.gif

M
TravisNeff
And for a 2.0 with stainless exhaust valves? .06 and .06?? Since the sodium filled jobbers expand more than solid steel??
Dave_Darling
That seems to be the consensus. 0.008" only for the sodium-cooled valves (2.0 exhaust only; very rare option for the 1.8's exhaust valve). 0.006" for all the others, including aftermarket 2.0 exhaust valves.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.