Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tranny angle drive question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
URY914
Can I remove the angle drive and run it with out it leaking fluid?

I should probbly know this but I never wanted to try it.

Thanks,

Paul
dlee1967
In theory you should be able to do so. The seal for the speedo gear shaft is then exposed. If it is in good shape, then there should be no leaks. In most cases it is old and brittle and has been seeping, but the angle drive has been containing (slowing down) the leak. If you find it starts to leak, remove the speedo gear housing (one set bolt) and replace the O ring and the inner speedo shaft seal.

I just put together a gearbox for my wifes V8 and another for my track car with Quaife, so this is fresh in my mind. I replaced the seals in this area. David Lee
URY914
QUOTE (dlee1967 @ Feb 17 2005, 06:31 PM)
In theory you should be able to do so. The seal for the speedo gear shaft is then exposed. If it is in good shape, then there should be no leaks. In most cases it is old and brittle and has been seeping, but the angle drive has been containing (slowing down) the leak. If you find it starts to leak, remove the speedo gear housing (one set bolt) and replace the O ring and the inner speedo shaft seal.

I just put together a gearbox for my wifes V8 and another for my track car with Quaife, so this is fresh in my mind. I replaced the seals in this area. David Lee

Thanks David.

An answer in five minutes. I love this place. smilie_pokal.gif

Paul
cha914
There are actually two parts, the angle drive that the speedo cable connects to and then the gear that goes up inside the end cover. Since I put in an electronic speedo, I took the whole thing out, unscrewed the angle drive from the gear, put a new o ring on the gear, applied a thin coat of ultra grey to prevent leaks, and stuck the gear back up in the end housing. I have ran it for a couple thousand miles now with no leaks, and I probably saved a decent amount of weight losing the angle drive, speedo cable, and speedo tongue.gif

Tony beer.gif
914fan
what are the details of youe electric speedo.I would like to change over but I have no idea what parts are needed.
List???
cha914
Well, my solution is very simple and very cheap ... I used a bike computer made by sigma, cost 20 bucks. I made a little L bracket that holds the sender and attached it under one of the diff cover bolts and then glued the magnet on the backside of the output flange on the tranny. Then all I had to do was to extend the wires about 5 feet. Took about 2 hrs to install. It sure don't look stock, and it is accurate down to .5mph and good up to 180mph according to some motorcycle guys. It also tells me average speed, max speed, trip distance, odo, etc...

only draw back is that it isn't lighted, so can't see it at night, but I have seen some cool little LED's that the bike guys use to light them if I really wanted to.

Anyway, if you want some thing cheap and accurate, this is the best I have found...but I imagine most wont care for the look cool_shades.gif

I can snap some pics if you are still interested...

Tony driving.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.