Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Thank goodness for PPIs!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
wrpspddrvr
Hi all. Had a car all lined up in Kansas for about 2 weeks now. I was planning to go down and pick it up this weekend, but figured I should get a PPI first.
A guy from here (will remain nameless unless he says he doesn't mind) checked it out for me. Turns out this "excellent" car had a set of vice-grips holding the rear brake lines, had extensive rust and rust hiding/repair, several holes, some hack-job wiring, and just generally shouldn't have been on the road. My PPIer said he reccomended the guy find an alternative method of getting home. This for the car that the seller felt "positive... would have have no problem making it all the way to virginia..." from Kansas.
So, thanks to the PPI, I saved the $400 on a plane ticket out there, the $400 on the plane ticket back, a crapload of disappointment, lots of headbang.gif headbang.gif , and maybe a ar15.gif ar15.gif or two. And on top of that, the PPIer refused to take payment for the job. Though he did seem rather enthusiastic about getting a beer if he's ever out this way.
Anyway, moral of the story: USE A PPI!!!!

Thanks again, PPI guy,
Cole
xsboost90
yeah a good ppi is always a good idea. Saves alot of hassle.
redshift
Another 914 disaster, averted by 914 friendship.

smilie_pokal.gif

Dr Evil
Was the seller like 6'7" with dark hair and dumb as a stump? I had almost the exact same encounter, but I didn't have a PPI. Some people dry.gif
joeav8tor
Cole,
I am still patiently looking for a car....not that easy! idea.gif
skline
Kansas? The only one I know out in Kansas is Rusty. Perhaps there are others?
Rusty
Ya... it was me. I do PPIs for beer! biggrin.gif beer3.gif

I invited the gentlemen who owned the car to come visit us here. I'm not sure that he really understood some of the problems that he had. He seemed like a nice enough guy, and hopefully he'll stop in and pick up some tips and tricks. He's only had the car a year or so. The glass flares look like they were nicely done, but it's suffered from neglect from long before he owned the car. sad.gif

We spoke for some time, and I encouraged him to get the rear brakes working before he put too many more miles on the road. I didn't take it for a ride - I was scared. unsure.gif

-Rusty smoke.gif
McMark
Isn't $400 halfway to having a CA car delivered? confused24.gif
wrpspddrvr
QUOTE (McMark @ Feb 17 2005, 10:11 PM)

If I could find what I'm looking for around $3000 in CA, I'd get it shipped. I'd love to drive it back, but I don't know if I could take the time off school. My geology is killing me. blink.gif

Cole monkeydance.gif

scotty b
QUOTE (McMark @ Feb 17 2005, 10:11 PM)

ohmy.gif If it is give me the shippers name! I have been getting quotes to ship my 944 to Wyoming (incase I do move) and every one has been $1300 - $1500.00.
Joe Ricard
Shipping is expensive. Driving car home is a pain littorally.
As you all know I got lucky last year with my yellow car. with the help of the boys in WA. I got in and drove the hell out of the car all the way home 3499 miles in 3 days.

I don't recommend it for it is not for the weak of will screwy.gif nor non mechanically experienced. smash.gif
It takes balls to drive a 35 year old car across the country sight un seen. Not much brains but big balls. Yea I clank. flipa.gif
scotty b
Guy I used to work for (Porsche mech.) went to visit a friend in Mexico last summer and drove a "Mexican special" 928 back to Va. Had to stop once in Nevada to repair an oil leak that was spewing all over the front end, and had a timing belt go in the middle of nowhere Arkansas,almost got run over by the local cop while waiting for a tow truck. He fixed the car at the tow trucks base headed back to Va and the car hasn't started since he got back. Wiring is hacked to hell and he lost all will to fix it. blink.gif
brant
somebody correct me,

but I thought all the 928's were interference engines?
if thats true, he must have had a fan belt or something besides a timing belt go.

but I agree with the sentiment.
THANKS to all the people that have graciously done PPI's on this board.

If I can ever return the favor in the denver area let me know.....

and Andy, I still owe you beer....

Joe Ricard
Certain 928's are interference. That was one car I never thought twice about jumping in hammering out 1000 miles in a day. Gosh I miss that car. Thanks for putting my brain back in memory lane rolleyes.gif Damn it!!!!

That is probably the biggest problem with high end cars that can now be bought for near pennies. 928 is one sweet hot rod. My 78 could walk away from all but the newer Mustang Cobras.
But it was maintenance intensive as it was still a high performance Porsche so it will cost $$$$$ Lately people get these cars and drive them till it breaks never doing any preventative stuff then the repair bill hits them square between the eyes and the decision to sell it is made and the cycle continues.
Sparky
Whats your friend doing with that 928 now? unsure.gif

My best,
Mike D. beerchug.gif
scotty b
944 is an interference engine, single cam 928 is not, I'm not sure about twin cammers. As for the state of the 928 right now...I wouldn't buy it! By Mexican special I mean it was wrecked in the U.S. carried across the border and repaired. They don't use Cellete benches or take very good measurements! This particular car is pushed back about 3/4" on the driver side but looks fine until you really look closely. It is currently sitting at his shop waiting for the wiring harness to be repaired correctly.Interior is marginal and it is an automatic barf.gif He said the car ran fine and tracked straight all the way (don't ask me how) it just has some repair issues.
URY914
We have another member here, Doug Waters who bought a -6 on ebay and drove it from Washington State to Florida. That took some big ones. wink.gif
URY914
We have another member here, Doug Waters who bought a -6 on ebay and drove it from Washington State to Florida. That took some big ones. wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.