Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: price check
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
garrettlee2
I am trying to sell a 71 1.7 very original car. it does have webers and one carp repaint. my goal is to make it run and stop and sell it. it runs now and I' m playing with brakes now. well putting on brake lines I found rust in the passenger engine support. its about 6 inches long and i have the parts to fix it but not the skills. so now its time to let it go but I'm looking for help on pricing. pictures to follow thanks
Mike Bellis
Depends on the total amount of rust. In California a rusty 914 is worth much less than the same car on the East coast.

I would not pay more than $2000 for a 914 needing welding as a repair. Exception would be an LE or a -6.
garrettlee2
so would you like it delivered to the wcr? biggrin.gif
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(garrettlee2 @ Apr 28 2015, 10:48 PM) *

so would you like it delivered to the wcr? biggrin.gif

I'm in the $500 budget right now... It's almost time to start my next build...

BTW,

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
worn
QUOTE(garrettlee2 @ Apr 28 2015, 07:52 PM) *

I am trying to sell a 71 1.7 very original car. it does have webers and one carp repaint. my goal is to make it run and stop and sell it. it runs now and I' m playing with brakes now. well putting on brake lines I found rust in the passenger engine support. its about 6 inches long and i have the parts to fix it but not the skills. so now its time to let it go but I'm looking for help on pricing. pictures to follow thanks

If it rusted there, there is probably major engine out welding there and elsewhere, unless the brake line check led to a very thorough investigation. If you are honest, you are kinda well that sheep emoticon with a guy in the back.

If you prefer to avoid the honest thing for self preservation at the expense of someone else, advertise it as a rust free car. I fell for that twice and got cars like yours both times. The one I fixed cost close to a grand in pressings alone. But I was able to do the welding. I autocross the other.

Compromise and find a price for a good car and tell the buyer and knock off several thousand for the repairs from the asking price. I have the fi for the buyer. Send them my way and they will get it very reasonable. In that case ask what it costs to fix a car with structural rust. Also take an awl and probe the floor behind the seats and the rear trunk floor. You don't have to tell anyone about the results, but you will know. Also get a syrong light and shine it as far down as you can down and forward of the battery tray till you intersect the firewall.

I wish you and your buyer the best of luck. These are worth the work saving.
garrettlee2
Is this badClick to view attachment
garrettlee2
Click to view attachment
garrettlee2
The trunk is savableClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment
garrettlee2
Click to view attachment
garrettlee2
Click to view attachment
garrettlee2
Click to view attachment
garrettlee2
Click to view attachment taking offers
Dave_Darling
Looks like a goner to me.

--DD
mepstein
$500
billh1963
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Apr 30 2015, 12:44 AM) *

Looks like a goner to me.

--DD

agree.gif

Part it out.....you'll make more money.

AndyB
That car Ivan be saved. It's very easy to say part it out, however it isn't a project for the timid.
Andy
JoeDees
That baby is going to need a rotisserie. If the engine mount area looks like that, the long will too.
JoeDees
I'd say its value is in the $800 range, good wheels and tires I'd pay $1000.
Andyrew
Its fixable...

If your coming to the wcr put a Best Offer sticker on it and see where the weekend takes you...
garrettlee2
it will also include a quartered car with good metal to fix it $1500 and it has good tires and new brake lines
garrettlee2
$1000 no carbs or passenger seat bottom
Mike Bellis
No offence.

I have seen much better $500 cars.
KELTY360
Time to post it in the classifieds.
garrettlee2
no offence taken I just want to give a chance to break ever before [code] sawzall-smiley.gif time.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.