Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear view mirror
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
blk'72
Hey all....
So my rear mirror fell off, i went to kragen and tried their adhesive mixture thingy to stick that thing back to the windshield, and obviously that didnt work, any other suggestions on how to stick your rear view mirror back on the windshield?
Thanks.
Also the last oil change my mechanic put 20w50 can I drop some other weight oil in there? that is a dumb question but i dunno nothing, and i'm just asking out of my ass.... boldblue.gif
Anyways, thanks for the replies guys.
R.
redshift
There is an adhesive tab... like a double-sided tape, in squares, I got some at a NAPA.

If you use it, DO NOT TOUCH IT WITH ANYTHING BUT THE BACKING IT'S ON!!!!!!!!!

smile.gif

(and if you get a piece stuck to you... don't scratch anywhere with that hand... until it wears off)

M
iiibdsiil
The glue stuff that Kragen sells should be like a superglue, right? If so, it should come with a cleaner, I believe you just spray it on and wait for it to dry, then put the glue on the thing that goes to the windshield. I have used this stuff before, and it works. We don't have Kragen, but it should be basically the same stuff.
Dr Evil
Well, you could do away with that crappy stick on one and get one of my better ones. Check it out below.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act=...=ST&f=4&t=24383
wrpspddrvr
I used to do this for a living, believe it or not. I was a gas jockey at a service station. This was one of our more involved duties.
We scraped the old glue off the mirror tab thingy and the windshield with a razor blade. Then we hit the tab thingy with a piece of med. grit sand paper to rough it up a bit. Next we sprayed some sort of quick-drying cleaner/degreaser/prep crap on the window and the tab thingy. When it dryed, apply special glue, hold in place for 1 minute (2 minutes is better). If you can let it sit for another 10 minutes, it's best, but otherwise just try not to drive over any stiff bumps for a bit.
Held up just fine about 95% of the time.

Cole monkeydance.gif
mattillac
mine just fell off the other day. it looks better without it anyway. driving.gif
Dr Evil
I got updates ready to ship idea.gif happy11.gif didn't you contact me about one, Matt?
Rand
Maybe my bad luck, but I've NEVER had a reglue hold permanently. So if I ever lose a review mirror I take the opportunity to replace it with a full-width wink mirror that screws in for a permanent hold. Once I got used to those, I never wanted anything else anyway. Awesome visibility, far wider viewing area than stock mirrors, with no gaps or blind spots.

McMark
The glue never works for me either. I'll never use it again. Wink mirror is a good idea. I wonder if any are on eBay right now. idea.gif
Dr Evil
Whats a wink mirror?
Twystd1
This is not complicated..

Go to your FLAPS and buy the LOCTITE brand mirror/glue replacement kit...

Now find some CLEAN laquer thinner or acetone AND a bottle of isopropyl alcohol...

Add a couple of ONE sided safety razor blades.... Maybey some rubber gloves if your skin doesn't like solvents....

Have a little piece of 600 grit or finer wet and dry sandpaper.

Have a fine point felt tip marker on hand.

Have a couple of paper towels ready and at least a foot of good "OLE" toilet paper..

Ok heres the trick:::..................

Open the windows and the doors of the cars.. Ya don't wanna get stoned on the fumes.
Unless you into that kind of thing........... biggrin.gif

Grap a paper towel, put some laquer thinner on it...
Spread it around the glue on the windsheild. Keep the glue wet...

Go after the glue with a straight edge razor blade till it is ALL off.

Wipe off excess goop and solvent with paper towel..

Take ALL the glue offf your mirror base. Same as above. if the mirror base has a steel insert that is removable with a set screw.. Take off the insert and clean

Now the fun part..!!!!

First. Clean BOTH mating surfaces with alcohol using your TP paper only!!!
(Cause toilet paper has no surfactants and alkali in it)

Once cleaned you can NEVER touch the insert with your fingers. the oils on your hands will float the glue!!!!!!!!!!

Place the insert (or complete mirror) where ever you want it on your windsheild.
Now trace around the insert or base of the mirror with you felt tip marker.

Set everything aside.

Grab you LITTLE piece of sandpaper. put a little alcohol on it as a lubricant.

Scratch up the surface of the windsheild INSIDE of your marked area.

Clean up area with alcohol and TP without removing all of your marks for placement.
The glass has to be scrupulously clean for this to work..!!

Follow directions on glue bottle for application of glue... Put the sucker on and hold as long as you can applying firm pressure.

If it's under about 65 degrees.. FUGETABOUT IT...
Warm the winsheild up with a halogen light or an electric heater... be creative....

Before you really apply this to the windsheild, Check your body placement in the seat so that you can get some leverage to apply the insert without having your arms fall to sleep and your back freak out from being twisted about. Center consoled BIG cars will do that to ya....

LET IT SIT FOR AT LEAST 6 HOURS (LONGER IF COLD) BEFORE YOU GO KICKING IT BECAUSE THE BLOND CHICK CUT YOU OFF IN THE INTERSECTION..!!!!!

Thats my .02 worth...

Works like a charm for me.. Everytime. The trick is to kee it clean

Cheers,
Twystd1

ar15.gif ar15.gif ar15.gif boldblue.gif boldblue.gif boldblue.gif
Jenny
DAMMIT!!! How come everyone else's mirror is coming off, but I can't get mine off to save my life? I should just glue another mirror on, and have two mirrors. An Uber Mirror, if you will. dry.gif

FWIW, my mirror being held on with Kragen's glue. Worked GREAT for me.

Jen
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Jenny @ Feb 17 2005, 11:35 PM)
DAMMIT!!! How come everyone else's mirror is coming off, but I can't get mine off to save my life? I should just glue another mirror on, and have two mirrors. An Uber Mirror, if you will. dry.gif

FWIW, my mirror being held on with Kragen's glue. Worked GREAT for me.

Jen

jen,

do you need a booster seat to see past your decklid??? laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
Twystd1
Kruel man................

wink.gif

Twystd1
ThinAir
Funny - mine fell off two days ago as well. We'd had rain, the inside got damp some, and in the morning there was condensation on the inside of the windshield.

I just got my new mirror from Mike about a week ago and hadn't mounted it yet because I was gonna put it in the 73 when it's back on the road. I guess now I'll get to try it out in the 70 for a bit. Now if I could just figure out how to get the mirror OFF of the windshield of the 73 when the time comes!

BTW - Mike does really nice work and I highly recommend his mirror. One of the best $50 I've spent on my teener.

As for all those glue solutions, I've tried them all except the double-stick tabs from Napa. I've never had any adhesive in a tube that worked and I've ended up going to my local windshield place where they'll happily mount the mirror for a couple of bucks to put in the snack pool. That's why I jumped on Mike's mirror when he started making them.
Jenny
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Feb 17 2005, 10:38 PM)
do you need a booster seat to see past your decklid??? laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Actually, I need to be sitting lower, like without the seat cushin, to effectively use the mirror. But then I might as well just drive backwards, since I wouldn't be able to see past the guage cluster. I don't care how tall you are, Aaron with two A's. I will deck you when I meet you in April smash.gif

Jen
Twystd1
I'm coninced...
Buy Mikes Mirror...

He needs something to do...... He Hee...

Twystd1
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Jenny @ Feb 17 2005, 11:45 PM)
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Feb 17 2005, 10:38 PM)
do you need a booster seat to see past your decklid???  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Actually, I need to be sitting lower, like without the seat cushin, to effectively use the mirror. But then I might as well just drive backwards, since I wouldn't be able to see past the guage cluster. I don't care how tall you are, Aaron with two A's. I will deck you when I meet you in April smash.gif

Jen

sorry jennay (forest gump voice) sad.gif

i bet i have 2 feet and twice your weight..... ohmy.gif and youd still kick my ass unsure.gif happy11.gif
McMark
Here's a wink mirror. smile.gif I'm about to buy one. lol2.gif
Rand
The "wink mirror" I'm talking about is a multi-panel mirror that runs across the whole top of the windshield (different widths available)...

user posted image
Rand
Oops... McMark, you beat me to it smile.gif
Jenny
Very 80's. aktion035.gif

Jen
Rand
Yeah, I guess so, but have you used one? For me it's not about the style (or lack thereof), it's about how well it works.
Jenny
The bf has one in his toyota truck. it blocks the dome light, and I always bonk my noggin on it. But I don't think those things pertain to 914s. Yeah, visibility is great on those things. Especially when ... "I wear my sunglasses at night." cool_shades.gif

Jen lol2.gif (the nyquil's kickin' in)
Dr Evil
I had a feeling that that was what a wink mirror was. Not my type of thing, but to each their own. I do have a mirror that is like 4" wider than the stocker. I am proably gonna save that one for myself. Thanks for the endorsement, Ernie. Happy customers are all I'm after....can't realy get rich off of doing what I do for the 914 wink.gif

I have another prototype on the table. Imagine a mirror that fits just like my other mod, but has built in lights on the bottom with switches idea.gif I hope it works.

I have other Evil ideas, but I will post them in a seperate thread happy11.gif
JPalacios
here's a DIY project....mirror...
Dr Evil
I never saw that one. I just posted on it. Interesting, but I still like mine better. I may be biased. wink.gif
dlo914
oops forgot to sign off buddies account...but yea i got bored that day....other than that PM me with the address and i'll see if i can still find that part...
Dr Evil
Done, and thanks!
blk'72
thks for the replies... anybody wanna come over to help me out?
Humm now ,,,, none answered my dumbass question about the oil mueba.gif
Anybody?
Thanks
R.
Flat VW
I understand from another fella here that one does not want to use "plain old superglue" to re-affix the mirror to the windshield. smoke.gif

The DAPO of my car used it and I ended up with a crack one day that surrounds the glued-on mirror base. sad.gif

I was told the "round crack" was caused by the wrong glue that was used having a different " heat expansion rate" than the glass, thus the crack. smash.gif

bs.gif DO NOT DO THIS. flag.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.