Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Main bearing pins
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
-JR-
I'm assembling my engine and it seems that the first and third main bearings never had locating pins to keep them from spinning.

It seems only number 2 has got locating pins on either half of the case.

Should 1 and 3 circular bearings have locating pins?

Anyone?

Thanks!
Dr Evil
Don't they have an indentation in them that mates to a slight groove?
-JR-
Nope, you are thinking of the connecting rod and cam bearings.
Dr Evil
Nah, I'm thinking /6 wink.gif
-JR-
Anyone else have some feedback?

You can see in the front here, where the front main bearing is, the oil gallery and the other hole is for a locating pin, which is missing in the picture and on my case too.

user posted image
Jake Raby
Yes, all bearings MUST have pins! The #1,3&4 only have one pin because they are full circle bearings. #2 has two pins because its a half shell bearing so it has one on each case half.

(If you had my video this question would not come up confused24.gif )

The pins must be there to KEEP THE OILING PASSAGES IN THE BEARING ALIGNED WITH THOSE IN THE CASE... If they are not there, and the bearing spins - Kiss it good bye, All of it.

I have the pins- 50 cents each and mine are the right length. (pins must be 8.0MM and no longer, else they will protrude into the bearing and wipe it out as soon as you torque the case up..

-JR-
You know, that's what I was thinking too... The engine I took appart (not stock to begin) was missing those pins for the #1 and #3 full circle bearings.

Guess I'll have to go get me some!

Thanks JAKE!
bondo
you sure they're just not in the other half of the case?
-JR-
Nope, because on the full circle bearings there is only one pin used as opposed to the #2 main bearing where there are two physical halfs, so there are two pins in that case.

So either the pins dropped out somewhere when I broke it down, which I was very careful to take notes or they were not installed OR I had the case halfs run through a high temp parts washer which I suppose it's possible that the case heated up enough to drop the pins out.

At any rate I need to get my hands on two of them before I can assemble the case.
HarveyH
When the mechanic had my 2056 apart he found the previous builder used a couple of pieces of Allen Key as main bearing dowels wacko.gif

The teardown was because they also didn't Loctite or stake the cam drive gear bolts ar15.gif

Harvey
bondo
QUOTE (bondo @ Feb 18 2005, 12:47 AM)
you sure they're just not in the other half of the case?

What the... I didn't write that... must be jkeyzer using my computer (he's visiting). I don't remember if the case I pulled that crank out of had the pins. I don't remember seeing them. I already tossed the case though, nobody seemed to want it because it was a bus case.
Mark Henry
QUOTE (HarveyH @ Feb 18 2005, 08:51 AM)
When the mechanic had my 2056 apart he found the previous builder used a couple of pieces of Allen Key as main bearing dowels wacko.gif

The teardown was because they also didn't Loctite or stake the cam drive gear bolts ar15.gif

Harvey

That's why you pay more for a reputable engine builder.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.