Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Reuse Oil
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Highland
I think I know the answer, but just wanted to get verification.

After engine break-in (engine not in car) I changed the oil and filter. With new oil I started the engine 1 more time. I have a leak at the oil temp sensor I'd like to fix before installing in the car (for ease).

Can I drain the oil into a clean container then pour it back in the engine after I replace the taco plate seals?

My guess is no, but just checking.
ripper911
Not in California.
euro911
Why not? … you only ran it for a few minutes, right?

The break-in oil and first filter should have caught any initial crap … and you were going to run the second batch of oil for 2500 miles anyway, right?

Filter it through a disposable paint filter when you drain it, and again when you pour it back in.
jd74914
I don't see a reason not to as long as you drain it into a clean container and filter like Mark suggested. It sure would be a waste to get rid of it after 1 startup.
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(euro911 @ Apr 29 2015, 12:29 PM) *

Why not? … you only ran it for a few minutes, right?

The break-in oil and first filter should have caught any initial crap … and you were going to run the second batch of oil for 2500 miles anyway, right?

Filter it through a disposable paint filter when you drain it, and again when you pour it back in.

agree.gif
stugray
Yes.

I had to do it once to install my Welt Tuna can.
Then it leaked and I had to do it again to take it off and return it.

AND I need to do it one more time to put the replacement on.
That is on the list for tonight. Car is in the air and I even cleaned out the 9 quart tupperwear tub (dont tell the wife :-)
toolguy
I done it multiple times when working on motorcycles when fixing oil leaks and changing seals. . Just be careful to make sure there are no impurities before putting it back in the motor. .
shoguneagle
I think Ripper is referring to California Smog/Pollution/Environmental Acts.

Should not be a problem as suggested above along with running it through a filter/strainer. Look at the oil to see if there is any metallic particles etc. in the oil.

I have done it before
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.