Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Nice lokking 72 in NY CL $8700
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WANTED: 914 Cars and Rollers
Big Len
http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/cto/4998259710.html

No/Aff.
dudzy's914
I saw this too. It is wrinkled in the trunk and needs a little work- good started project minus the trunk. I think it is priced almost accurately for the current market.
mepstein
to me, reads like a 3k car, not 8700
914 iv
I agree with $3000 range.
era vulgaris
It's been here in the classifieds for a few weeks already
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=253446

It appears to be rust-minimal. Pics of door gaps while jacked up are nice. I think in this market $6-7K with the issues it has is fair, if the body is as solid as it appears. $3K seems a little harsh. My '72 sold honestly for $5K, and we all know how bad that car was... pain30.gif
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(era vulgaris @ Apr 30 2015, 07:20 PM) *

It's been here in the classifieds for a few weeks already
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=253446

It appears to be rust-minimal. Pics of door gaps while jacked up are nice. I think in this market $6-7K with the issues it has is fair, if the body is as solid as it appears. $3K seems a little harsh. My '72 sold honestly for $5K, and we all know how bad that car was... pain30.gif

My two cents. The CL ad states the cons are:

Cons:

Crummy paint job.

Transmission: No 1st gear synchro, 1st to 2nd needs a little finesse when cold.

Odometer not working, stuck at 42202.

Emergency brake not connected.

Heater hoses not installed.

Windshield trim included but not installed.

Seems to have been hit center-rear at some point, panel was replaced. Can't tell from outside, but trunk floor is a little sloppy.

Rear valance not installed. (2 included)

Think it could use control arm bushings.

Wiper scratches on windshield.

For $8700 I would expect the simple "Cons" to be addressed. Fix the EBrake cables, put the valances on it, install the heater hoses. At that point it is $5-6K car at best.
The trans work if you can't do it yourself will be $1500 and paint, if you wanted painted and done right is in the $6k range. Windshield trim I bet isn't stalled because the clips are broken. In order to replace them you need to pull the windshield. The big issue for me is the damage repair. Is the car straight?

There are much better cars for $8700. If you are just looking for a driver then fine Maybe $5k. It is a 72 1.7, oil bath engine. No sway bars, no center console, on steel rims. A hard sell at that price when you can find full optioned 2.0L cars similar condition in the $6-$7K range.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 29 2015, 09:48 PM) *

to me, reads like a 3k car, not 8700

You would be wrong.
I value it at more than $8700.
Of course it helps to have some of the service records in my business database. biggrin.gif
era vulgaris
QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ May 4 2015, 11:07 AM) *

A hard sell at that price when you can find full optioned 2.0L cars similar condition in the $6-$7K range.

Where are you finding fully optioned 2.0L cars for $6-7K with an engine bay that clean, a strong running engine, original FI, a crack free dash, very clean original interior, and that can stand up to a similar jack test with the door gaps? The 2.0 cars I've seen under $10K have either serious mechanical issues, serious rust issues, or usually both.

Anyway, it's on ebay now. We'll see what the market decides.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-914-1-7-FI...em=201344983918
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(era vulgaris @ May 7 2015, 08:04 PM) *

QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ May 4 2015, 11:07 AM) *

A hard sell at that price when you can find full optioned 2.0L cars similar condition in the $6-$7K range.

Where are you finding fully optioned 2.0L cars for $6-7K with an engine bay that clean, a strong running engine, original FI, a crack free dash, very clean original interior, and that can stand up to a similar jack test with the door gaps? The 2.0 cars I've seen under $10K have either serious mechanical issues, serious rust issues, or usually both.

Anyway, it's on ebay now. We'll see what the market decides.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-914-1-7-FI...em=201344983918

If you read the what the seller says are the "CONS" of the car in his craigslist ad (which I quote in my first post) there are lot of issues that need to be addressed for it to be a ~$9k car in my book.

Here is a 73 2.0L car in Chicago area for the asking price of $8500. I do not know this car or seller, but based just off the pictures that are posted with it, it would look to be in the same condition as the 72.

Chicago car LINK
era vulgaris
QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ May 8 2015, 08:46 PM) *

If you read the what the seller says are the "CONS" of the car in his craigslist ad (which I quote in my first post) there are lot of issues that need to be addressed for it to be a ~$9k car in my book.

Here is a 73 2.0L car in Chicago area for the asking price of $8500. I do not know this car or seller, but based just off the pictures that are posted with it, it would look to be in the same condition as the 72.

Chicago car LINK

That's not a bad car, but to me it's nowhere near as nice as the 72 (which I valued at ~$7K, not $9K). Just from the CL pics I can see:
Interior is in rough shape, non-original seat inserts, seat covers appear to be loose in the corners, the graining in the dash indicates one of those plastic dash covers to cover a cracked dash, lower dash pad appears to be falling off on driver side, non-original gauge in the center console, temp gauge appears to be from 74 or later (no large red area), a jacked up modern stereo with a dented sub cut into the center back pad cushion, one headlight doesn't close completely, weird louvres cut into the rocker covers, engine bay and rear trunk are painted black (usually not a good sign in terms of rust), front trunk bottom painted black, and no FI. Not remotely the kind of condition I was referring to.

To me, the cons on the 72 are nowhere near as big a deal and are much easier to remedy because the car is still pretty much original. That 73 has had way too many modifications for my taste, and would take a lot more time and money to get back to stock. In my opinion, both cars are probably $7K cars IF the 73 doesn't have rust issues (black engine bays and trunks are my first "walk away" indication though). But the overall originality along with Racer Chris' service records would make me lean toward the '72 if I had to pick one. Especially after seeing the 70 or so pics that are linked to in the ebay auction - that car is CLEAN and original. If not for the accident damage, I'd cough up $10K or $11K easily for that 72 if I was in the market for a car. Unfortunately the accident damage does de-value it.
claudeb
Hey Everybody, Claude B here, owner of the subject car. Fun reading all of your comments (some more than others wink.gif * ). Sad to be checking out of the community.

I jumped in full throttle, 914s have been my faves for almost the full 46 years of their existence — was really excited to finally have one. Unfortunately, being an apartment dweller in NYC and keeping the car 90 minutes away at my parents’ kept me from ever really living the dream.

In the first couple of years of my 5 year ownership, I got to address some of the undisclosed issues that came with the car (side shift conversion without the side shift engine mount anyone?), but more recently I’ve been limited to maybe 6 little joy rides a year — always truly joyous, though often tempered with some disappointment knowing that I wouldn’t be able to get to finishing and improving the car (never really finished right?)

Mixed blessing that these cars are gaining collector status, nice that it looks like I’ll be able to get out with almost what I have in — but if and/or when the day comes that I have a garage downstairs and some sweet roads around me, I know I’ll be kicking myself for having sold while it was still an affordable passion.

Thanks for the amazing knowledge, wisdom, experiences, and humor so many of you generously shared while I was here — hope I get to come back someday, but in the meantime…

Miataville here I come.

Happy Motoring!

* My first emoticon, hope I did it right.
era vulgaris
Looks like your reserve's been met. Congrats! Seems I wasn't too far off in my estimate! biggrin.gif My first 914 was a signal orange '72 1.7 with DJet and a side shift trans. Although mine was a rust bucket and nowhere near as nice as yours.

Hope you make it back to another 914 someday. But if you're going Miata, maybe wait for the 2016. Those look pretty killer!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.