Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WOT: anybody run OS/2 here
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bd1308
I need some advice on this before I go ahead and install it....Just need to know how hard it is to install on a 2200+ Athlon or something.
Steve Thacker
BTDT for a zillion years. What version of OS/2 are you going to attempt to install?
anthony
Assuming you could install OS/2 on a modern machine, the question is why? If you want to dink around with an OS, install Linux.
CptTripps
Wow...I hadn't even THOUGHT of OS/2 in 10 years...wow.

You may not have that easy of a time with it. I usually have to go to hardware boneyards to get stuff that can run an older OS. I think I may have a PII with it already installed on it if you are interested.
Steve Thacker

OS/2 wub.gif

Very stable in Warp series. Version 2.11 and below it was aweful.
jim912928
drivers are going to be your problem on new machines. If you are trying to avoid Mr. Gates go with linux.
bd1308
I have a debian server (BTDT) now I want to explore OS/2. It's amazing that a OS designed like in 96 can play Divx and xVid movies...anyway it's OS2 Warp 4, and i'll prolly mess it up installing it, so I am gathering the os2 crowd before i install it so i dont pull my hair out. I dont have the computer built yet (i need to start thinking about selling some...i have 6) but when i do i'll hit you all up. has anyone installed OS/2 recently enough to give some advice for runnign these things on modern computers? Steve you seem pretty OS/2 awesome....have any suggestions. I can't wait till i have computer #7 built : with OS2 wub.gif
CptTripps
QUOTE (Steve Thacker @ Feb 18 2005, 12:40 PM)
OS/2 wub.gif

Very stable in Warp series. Version 2.11 and below it was aweful.

I used to love the old Warp ads on tv....those were the days.
bd1308
the only ad i ever remember for warp 4 was a magazine ad selling it for $80 or $90 bucks. I was in fifth grade and I tried to save up for it....but it took forever and my mom threw away the magazine.
Steve Thacker
Warp 4 eh?....no worries mate, it will be a breeze. You will find it robust and fun to play with. I have old Warp 3 running on a 1.8 GHZ box and I have never had a issue with it. Been up for a year now and no reboot.
bd1308
if i have Questions, can you be my official OS/2 Warp 4 contact?
CptTripps
It's honestly a pretty easy install. Most people nowadays know more file systems than folks did back then. If you were installing Slackware 1.0, you'd need someone 'on call' to help you, but I think you'll be surprised how much you know.
Steve Thacker
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Feb 18 2005, 02:35 PM)
if i have Questions, can you be my official OS/2 Warp 4 contact?

Sure....
I don't think you will run into any problems. The install is a no-brainer....it really is.
mharrison
It will also run forever without a reboot. We just got rid of these within the last 4 years at my bank. It's really easy once you figure out where everything is.
bd1308
awesome....I would liek to have another computer to run this on....
campbellcj
Whoa...blast from the past for me too. I was a big OS/2 fan until about 97/98 when Windows NT really gained momentum and got relatively stable. I build/sell software for a living so have to go where the customers are -- and OS/2 never was it. But it did save me from having to deal with Windows 3.x and 95 too much...
914GT
I used OS/2 for many years. It was a great OS for its time but never took off, partly because of poor marketing of its multitasking capability. It was hard finding device drivers for it back then, such as for graphics cards and other hardware. It'll run on newer processors but plan on trouble getting some hardware to work or not getting the max. performance out of it if it does work. IBM still uses it in a few products, such as the 3494 Tape Library. Very robust and reliable for some applications. Its days are numbered though.
bd1308
okay....I appreciate your comments as each person's input is valuable to me. I am installing/test-trying Warp 4 on the Vurtual PC 2004 program. So far...so good. I like the sound effects most of all....very space-age wink.gif I was goign to build a computer with a Pentium III-800ish processor to run internet stuff....so if ANYONE has any Video cards and/or drivers for those cards and sound cards and network cards (with OS/2 drivers) please pm me.....thank you for helpign me out
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.