Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Factory Steering Wheel Extension?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GregAmy
Any easy solutions for extending the factory steering wheel in a '74? Can't seem to find anything on a basic search.

Back story: I had a ratty steering wheel in my '74 I bought it. Plus being 6'1" with the seat slid back I find the steering wheel too far away for my liking. To resolve this I bought a new Momo Prototipo, a new adapter, and an extender from LTB Autosport ($350 all in). With some minor fiddling I even got the horn to work correctly, and it moved the wheel back nicely.

Problem is, after only a couple hours of use, while I really liked the look of the Prototipo, and I really liked the heft of the ring, I found the 350mm wheel diameter (versus stock 380mm?) blocked the upper corners of my view of the oil temp and speedo (the latter not being so bad) and of course the effort of the smaller wheel increased. Both were workable buy annoying.

As I was debating what to do, I came across a decent deal here on a "faux leather" wheel in great shape, so I bought it and installed on the car. Then I realized that while I like the period look of the stock wheel too, and I like the larger diameter, I'd forgotten how it was uncomfortable to have it spaced far away.

I'm wondering if anyone has ever come across a solution that would space out our factory wheels say 2-3"?

Greg
mepstein
QUOTE(GregAmy @ May 1 2015, 01:53 PM) *

Any easy solutions for extending the factory steering wheel in a '74? Can't seem to find anything on a basic search.

Back story: I had a ratty steering wheel in my '74 I bought it. Plus being 6'1" with the seat slid back I find the steering wheel too far away for my liking. To resolve this I bought a new Momo Prototipo, a new adapter, and an extender from LTB Autosport ($350 all in). With some minor fiddling I even got the horn to work correctly, and it moved the wheel back nicely.

Problem is, after only a couple hours of use, while I really liked the look of the Prototipo, and I really liked the heft of the ring, I found the 350mm wheel diameter (versus stock 380mm?) blocked the upper corners of my view of the oil temp and speedo (the latter not being so bad) and of course the effort of the smaller wheel increased. Both were workable buy annoying.

As I was debating what to do, I came across a decent deal here on a "faux leather" wheel in great shape, so I bought it and installed on the car. Then I realized that while I like the period look of the stock wheel too, and I like the larger diameter, I'd forgotten how it was uncomfortable to have it spaced far away.

I'm wondering if anyone has ever come across a solution that would space out our factory wheels say 2-3"?

Greg

I still have a spacer available. I can make up a wheel for you if you want. PM me if your interested. Mark
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.