Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Could this be... a Bee?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
poorsche914
I know the title of the ad says "Base 1.8" but look at the pictures...
1974 Porsche Base 1.8
2.0 heads (notice spark plug location)
Black targa bar trim
Mahle rims
Center console w/gauges
4742914860 - VIN is in the LE range

Click to view attachment
Anyone in Mt Vernon OH? idea.gif

driving.gif
Dr Evil
I know of a Bee for sale in WCH OH, 43160. Hit me up if you want it smile.gif Not mine, belongs to my friend.
poorsche914
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ May 1 2015, 07:34 PM) *
I know of a Bee for sale in WCH OH, 43160. Hit me up if you want it smile.gif Not mine, belongs to my friend.

Thanks. I'm not in the market for one at the moment. Saw this 914 ad and thought it could possibly be an LE car.

driving.gif
JeffBowlsby
Boy howdy...Plausible.

Change the title of this thread to "You think'in what I'm think'in?"

Somebody chase this one

smile.gif
poorsche914
It's on ebay popcorn[1].gif

driving.gif
billh1963
QUOTE(poorsche914 @ May 1 2015, 09:14 PM) *

It's on ebay popcorn[1].gif

driving.gif

A call to Porsche would confirm....
Johny Blackstain
Check the ebay Q&A... according to that, no sway bars.
davep
Interesting, it is in the VIN region where very few cars were not LE's.
Getting the chassis number from the paint badge would be most useful.
I wonder if the rear trunk reinforcement is there for the rear sway bar; just thinking that if the vast majority of the bodies required it, then it would be a rare body if it did not have the reinforcement.
Mr.242
The fact someone painted the brakes yellow might be a hint they tried to stay tied to the original DNA of the Bumblebee.

I'm going to bet it's a LE. Greater than 50% chance it is....
fredcop
With the exception of the wheels, and painted calipers, it looks the same as my '74 1.8. Same console, same interior., etc...
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(davep @ May 2 2015, 09:30 AM) *

I wonder if the rear trunk reinforcement is there for the rear sway bar; just thinking that if the vast majority of the bodies required it, then it would be a rare body if it did not have the reinforcement.

From what I've learned here on the world, they were already into cost cutting, so if the car didn't need sway bars they didn't bother to drill/cut the front holes or weld the rear reinforcements.
JeffBowlsby
Not a Bee, evn though its L041 and in the LE VIN range. Its a 49-state appearance group, 2.0L 914, which explains the lack of sway bars. The Targa vinyl must have been removed at a repaint, and the lower trim holes filled. A great example that every white/black 914 even one in the LE VIN range, is not an LE. This from the sellers own posting:

Its model #473544: not 474644 or 473664 which is an LE car

DJet ECU bracket in place by the battery which for 1974 indicates a 2.0L
Spark plug angle = 2.0L

Still for the money...looks like a decent 914.
SteveLE
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ May 5 2015, 12:06 PM) *

Not a Bee, evn though its L041 and in the LE VIN range. Its a 49-state appearance group, 2.0L 914, which explains the lack of sway bars. The Targa vinyl must have been removed at a repaint, and the lower trim holes filled. A great example that every white/black 914 even one in the LE VIN range, is not an LE. This from the sellers own posting:

Its model #473544: not 474644 or 473664 which is an LE car

DJet ECU bracket in place by the battery which for 1974 indicates a 2.0L
Spark plug angle = 2.0L

Still for the money...looks like a decent 914.

Hey Jeff, now I'm confused, my Porsche COA documented LE says Type: 473544 on the Voucher .?.
JeffBowlsby
Must be a mis-written entry in the owners manual Steve. 473544 is not an LE and your COA indicates its an LE. Dealer mess-up.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.