Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Seat belt locks up when pulling it out
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dangerranger01
My driver's seat belt in my '73 locks up every few inches as I pull it out dry.gif . Then I have to pull it out another few inches before locking up again. Now repeat bs.gif . Needless to say, it takes about 2minutes to buckle up when I go out for a drive. Passenger's side is fine.

Anyone experience this problem and know of a fix (or have a good belt one for sale? poke.gif )? It is kind of a pain in the butt everytime I go out with it...

Thanks!
ripper911
I've heard that if you get it all of the way out and use scotchbrite on the webbing it will help.
I still need to do that. dry.gif
Dave_Darling
Pull it all the way out and use a binder clip or two to keep it extended. Clean it with mild soap and water, rinse. let dry. It should work better, though maybe not perfect. Scotchguard can evidently help, too.

--DD
GeorgeRud
A re webbing service would be a great addition. As these belts are at least 39 years old now, having new, flexible webbing would be nice. Cleaning and lubricating the mechanism would also help!
steuspeed
IIRC taking apart the mechanism is not recommended. Very difficult to put back together.
Cuda911
I had the exact same problem. I pulled the belt all the way out to it's farthest extension, then sprayed the roller mechanism with silicone lube using one of those thin straw-like spray extenders. Works like new!!!
bdstone914
You can remove the thin side cover to clean and inspect the internal parts. Dont try to take off the side cover with the spring.

You can buy the webbing online. I used to take them to an upulustry shop that would resew the end parts. Just not DOT certified.
SKL1
I had seatbeltplanet redo the belts in my '73. Look and work like new and reasonable price.
GeorgeRud
Thanks for the link, I'll give seatbelt planet a look. I'd love to get some new webbing installed on my retractor belts.
JmuRiz
Good info, I'm sure most of our belts need refurbished.
somd914
Mine did the same and opted for the SeatPlanet fix. The ones I bought fit the factory receiver so still look stock.
dangerranger01
Maaaad thanks guys. I'll try cleaning them and also lubing up the rollers...hopefully it helps out.
Porsche930dude
I found that changing the orientation of how it mounts helps. loosten the bolt and try it in different positions and make sure the belt is pulling straight out.
Mblizzard
After cleaning the belts spray with Scotch Guard. Keeps them sliding.
dangerranger01
Is this the scotchguard y'all are talking about?
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Scotchgard-Fabri...-10-oz/13281231

Do I spray that on both sides of the belt after cleaning??

My webbing seems soft and good/usable so hopefully I can get away without a rebuilt unit.
Mblizzard
QUOTE(dangerranger01 @ May 2 2015, 10:19 PM) *

Is this the scotchguard y'all are talking about?
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Scotchgard-Fabri...-10-oz/13281231

Do I spray that on both sides of the belt after cleaning??

My webbing seems soft and good/usable so hopefully I can get away without a rebuilt unit.

That's it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.