Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: a Q for the guitarists in the hizzy
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tat2dphreak
I'm getting back into practicing reguarly on my guitar, and I want to get something I can be more portable with, so I don't have to plug in my head and cabinet every time I want to play... and can play late at night without the neighbors complaining

I was looking at one of these:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home...l/base_id/59720

anyone here used one? how are they through headphones?

or one of these?
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home.../base_id/109000

I don't want to spend a lot(<$100) , but I would prefer to be able to use it WITH an amp (for the effects) not just as a headphone amp...

any other suggestions?

also, I don't care about any effects really, just distortion and chorus...

I had an old ZOOM multi-effects processor a long time ago, but got rid of it because the distortion SUCKED on it. it also made everything sound "thin" through earphones
ChrisReale
For practice, they are ok. I wouldn't use one live though. Line 6 makes a smaller thing like these that works well, not sure the price
redshift
Sansamp is a cool box... I use a program called Amplitude some, and AmpFarm in ProTools..

I like tube Marshalls. smile.gif

I have a Line6 2-12 thingy too, their stuff works pretty good.

M
balljoint
Tubed amps are the best. Just don't touch them when they're hot.

No help here.

Gotta go...getting abducted.
DougC
Wayne, sorry I can't answer your question but I hope you don't mind if I hi-jack your thread (sorry) but it fits the same subject...I have a great little Fender Pro Jr all tube amp (w/up grades) that I want to sell (cheap) and a Fender hardcase for Strat - if anyone reading is interested. Now, someone help Wayne with this question - I actually need to know also 'cause we have a lil' girl due in April.

Doug C
Rand
I have a nice Korg preamp with 3 foot-switches for clean, crunch, dist.... you can set up multiple bank presets and just tap a footswitch to choose your effect. The programmable effects include distortion, chorus, reverb, delay, eq, and some others. I used to have a recording studio, so I also have a ton of other music gear. Let me know if you're interested and I'll post more info after I get home and look at it tonight.

Interesting learning about the community... while we're OT, what are your hobbies? Mine also include power-kiting, motorcycles, and drums.
flyloki
Check out the Line 6 Pod-

or

A Roland BR8 digital 8 track records onto Zip discs and has TONS of effects and Amp models-

The VOX AD30VT is a NEAT little combo semi-tube amp with power control (adjusts input wattage so it sounds like the amp is turned up to 11 even though the volume is normal speaking tones) and GREAT amp modeling. The AC30tb model is worth it alone. Guitar center here will sell me one for $210. Don't think there's a better practice amp for the money.
tat2dphreak
my main amp is a '64 Fender Tremolux head biggrin.gif god that thing is sweet!! (all tube of course)

as far as playing "live" : my only audience is my wife, 2 cats and the neighbors... and the neighbors aren't fans... maybe if I played some Jay-Z instead of Black Sabbath wink.gif

doug, how cheap? send me a PM I may know "someone" wink.gif ... what year is it?

as far as other hobbies... Video games, 914s and guitars are IT for me... no time for those as it is...

yea the line 6 "POD"s are nice, but they are about 2x what I wanted to spend...

a buddy had an older version of the behinger VAMP and he liked it, but it was a rack mount... which is not really what I want(too big) :| so that's why I was looking at the "VAMP2"

I need to look at the SANSAMP... a guy I used to hang out with had one of the old ones, they were cool for practice... but kinda expensive if I remember right...

thanks all!
jr91472
always liked the Line 6 POD, but definetly >$100.

Hey Miles, glad to hear there are other ProTools guys here beer.gif
redshift
I hate ProTools

laugh.gif

M
chunger
I hate protools too. . . pissoff.gif

It's got some kind of hash going on in the high end. . . they've gotta fix their mix engine. I keep complaining to my friend who works there, but he never believes me. . . Nuendo for me if I need a DAW.
redshift
The best digital audio program ever made was Studio Vision, and Gibson bought Opcode, and closed it in 5 days.

Was the most intuitive program ever created for anything.

Genius.

M
swood
THis is what I got. Real nice, but the neighbors don't dig it. w00t.gif aktion035.gif

Line 6

My brother built a tube amp that rocks!
ein 6er
OT ...... i'm not a guitar player, but has anyone played one of these? is it unusual?

redshift
It's some model of Ibanez.. an AR (artist) headstock shape, and 7 strings, so probably made in the last 5-6 years.

That's an Amaj, and the guy is not only squeezing too hard, his left hand technique is going to kill him, later.

Thumb low.

M
fiid
i've been messing with guitar rig (and some other things) on the mac. definately very cool stuff - most effects can be done digitally in real time now :-)

the problem i have is the electronics on my Peavey Predator AX are a bit lame, so the signal is usually pretty bad by the time it gets into the computer.

you guys looked at this stuff?
ein 6er
miles,

rather astute observations there!! aktion035.gif

the reason i asked is, a friend promoted a show recently and in the bands rider they insisted on having a 7 string guitar, my friend had a hard time locating one, one music store gave him the line .... "you're kidding right? ... bla, bla, bla .... i've been in the biz for bla, bla years and i've NEVER heard of a 7 string.".
p914
Check out M-Audio stuff. The mobile pre usb is a good little preamp/phantom power.
IronHillRestorations
My ART effects processor has a headphones output that works OK for non-volume practice.

The Line 6 stuff looks very cool. I jammed with a player Friday night that had what looked like a high dollar Line 6 set up, amp with a mondo pedal set up, and a Line 6 guitar too. Great sounds, some were way too hot though.
redshift
You can get a seven string guitar from almost any manufacturer.. these days.

www.ibanez.com I am sure.

Perry! You NEED A VINTAGE GUITAR! YOU NEEEEED ONE. I need a great 914... YOU NEED A VINTAGE GUITAR!

PM me when you decide to shame all your guitar buddies. smile.gif

What ya like, Les Pauls? Want a Strat?

M
IronHillRestorations
QUOTE (redshift @ Feb 20 2005, 12:10 PM)
You can get a seven string guitar from almost any manufacturer.. these days.

www.ibanez.com I am sure.

Perry! You NEED A VINTAGE GUITAR! YOU NEEEEED ONE. I need a great 914... YOU NEED A VINTAGE GUITAR!

PM me when you decide to shame all your guitar buddies. smile.gif

What ya like, Les Pauls? Want a Strat?

M

How 'bout a '76 Gibson RD Artist? One of the first guitars with active electronics.
Eric_Shea
barf.gif
redshift
Perry, I will give you 20 RD Artists for a car kind of like the one in your avatar.

heh

Do you want a sunburst one, with football shaped plugs in the wood, or one with football shaped plugs..

THEY WERE ALL SECONDS!

M
scooter311
I played a beautiful, new white Les Paul custom yesterday, through a 15 watt Peavme practice amp.

In the end, I bought the amp, not the guitar laugh.gif

I miss my Gibson........
sad.gif
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (scooter311 @ Feb 21 2005, 11:37 PM)

I miss my Gibson........
sad.gif

I feel you... a buddy had a '75 les paul and a '70s sg... I used to hang at his place and jam all the time... he liked my tele and my charvel with tricked out electronics, and I loved the gibsons... especially the SG... that guitar was so fast! it sounded great through my amp too...

I've been watching ebay and guitar shops for a good used SG... but I can't swallow $800 for a guitar
IronHillRestorations
So you don't like the RD Eric, or just not feeling well?

I sold the blue car several years ago and just keep the avatar for the cover pic.

Mine has no plugs in the wood, it's some kind of limited edition. As hot as the RD sounds, I play my Strat copy with a Seymore Duncan pickup more, the RD is heavy, and the SD pickup honks.
tat2dphreak
I love seymore pickups... when I got rid of my tele, it was because I pulled my old strat copy charvel out, put a screamin' demon humbucker (bridge) in the bridge position(wired with a switch to go to single-coil mode), a full-shred humbucker (also bridge) in the NECK position (also wired w/ a switch for single coil) and a single coil, duncan strat in the middle position... I get 9 distinct tones outta that bitch and it has no noise anywhere! (something my tele couldn't boast!)

pawn shop guitar - $100 (plays damn well)
3 new pickups $150
2 switches at radio shack $2
copper sheilding for cavity and pickguard - $20
a jigsaw blade and sandpaper(to open the holes for humbuckers) $10
the sound - priceless!

biggrin.gif

a secret... I used a "bridge" humbucker in the neck because it give a FAT low end and kicks up the high end more than neck pickups... it'a a great Black-sabbath sound... esp on "into the void" and sounds very smooth when clean!
tat2dphreak
ok, it had to be done:

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

post your gear pics!
redshift
My gear pics won't fit!

M
d7n7master
Follow the cord to the smallest amp I've ever seen.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.