Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: When is a foglight grill a
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Cairo94507
So I see that Sierra Madre and Automation both sell chrome foglight grills. smile.gif My instinct is to go with Sierra Madre selling an "OEM" grill. Automation sells a "replacement" chrome grill. $15 difference in price. Are they actually the same grills or is the Automation grill a replica of lesser quality? Anyone know? As I am typing this type.gif I am thinking "get the SM grills" but what if the AM grills are better? confused24.gif
rangrbob
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ May 2 2015, 08:09 AM) *

So I see that Sierra Madre and Automation both sell chrome foglight grills. smile.gif My instinct is to go with Sierra Madre selling an "OEM" grill. Automation sells a "replacement" chrome grill. $15 difference in price. Are they actually the same grills or is the Automation grill a replica of lesser quality? Anyone know? As I am typing this type.gif I am thinking "get the SM grills" but what if the AM grills are better? confused24.gif

I found a Dealer online were I'm going to get mine. I would hope they are OEM. But I'm guessing that they may all end up being plastic versions.

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product/914CH...=914EXTERIORACC
Cairo94507
Sweet! I have bought stuff from them for my C4S. Thanks- Michael
rangrbob
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ May 2 2015, 08:36 AM) *

Sweet! I have bought stuff from them for my C4S. Thanks- Michael

You bet. I did just order them, so we'll see what I end up with. Do you have any updated pictures of the progress on your car?
GeorgeRud
All the fog light grills out there are plastic, either chromed or painted.
Cairo94507
Hi George - Yeah, though I thought I had metal fog light grills in the mid-70's on my 1st Six, I guess not.

I have been hoping to see Scotty post updated pictures of my car, but so far- not. I keep looking daily in hopes of seeing it moving along..... He has said color will be going on the first week of September. That is not that far away, really. In his defense, he has been getting a lot of the little annoying stuff sorted so when it comes time to begin assembly, it comes together quickly.
Pictures....pictures....pictures.... biggrin.gif
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ May 2 2015, 07:45 AM) *

All the fog light grills out there are plastic, either chromed or painted.

agree.gif

I know of one single exception: One of the grilles on 914114 is metal. (The other was plastic, and as far as we could tell it was a replacement piece.)

I wouldn't be surprised if the grilles on the other prototypes were metal, or at least some of them, but nobody would let me get close enough to poke at them... wink.gif

--DD
Cairo94507
You don't look like a shady guy...... confused24.gif
altitude411
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ May 2 2015, 08:09 AM) *

Michael, did you get an answer to your e-mail to SMC?

* Order a set from both places and send back the set you don't want...
ripper911
I saw some metal ones during my time at AA. I don't know what they came off of, but it seems that a few cars had them at some point. They were old and used.
Tom_T
Michael,

1. Early cars in 70 & some 71 MY had cast metal grills (I don't recall cutoff time offhand), then they switched to plastic, but metal are NLA & cast pot metal is hard to rechrome.

2. Both SMC & AA sell both repro & genuine parts - so always ask all vendors (even Stoddards, etc.). You can call Jorge the owner @ SMC on Monday, or Steve Hoskins who is a PCA member working there PT in his retirement years, & they'll tell you, & may give you some discount - tell them you lost your SMC discount paper from the SGVR Concours 4/26 (Steve was concours chair) & maybe they'll give you the 10-15% off or whatever it was.

3. Mark/Mikey914/914Rubber also makes an aftermarket in black & chrome last I heard.

4. AFAIK Porsche still sells original plastic grills in chrome or black (to be painted to bumper color for pre 74 MY) & PCA members can get +/-20% discount from most P-dealers. They'll only sell genuine P parts.

5. IIRC Suncoast is a FL P-dealer parts dept, but ask if genuine. I too have looked at Cayenne tow hitch options from them & they beat every other P-dealer's prices.

Hope this helps!
Tom
///////
Cairo94507
Thanks everyone for the help. I think I am good now.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.