Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: #790
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
djporsche
I bought me a 914 i found on Craigslist in Boulder, Co. It was delivered yesterday. It needs a new paint job and some little things here and there. But its a nice car none the less. 1970 dated 11/69 paint code L041. rare confused24.gif The motor was rebuild to a 2056 buy a Porsche shop in Denver, has 8k miles on it now. The driver front caliper was blown when it was delivered. Looked like it was a small leak that got progressively worse, then went out on my first drive.

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
G e o r g e
Nice looking car
sixnotfour
Looks Clean...I love the 70's esp. the green ones..
914Sixer
It is a real early car, may have some different items on it.
arkitect
Nice looking green. L041 is black, I'm partial to green but black is cool.

Custom made center console w/ speaker?

Dave
Maltese Falcon
Clean and straight 914, the 2056 w/carbs looks like a proper hot rod T4 driving.gif
Marty
Cairo94507
Nice looking car - Irish Green is what it looks like to me.
djporsche
Thanks guys. yes it's Irish green but the og color was black. Black was a option so probably not a lot of them around.

What different parts came on the early one?

Yeah that's a speaker box center console.

stugray
Nice!
May we ask what you paid for it?

Surprised I didnt notice it being in Boulder, OR that you didnt ask anyone on this forum to look at it for you.
JawjaPorsche
Nice Score! beerchug.gif
djporsche
QUOTE(stugray @ May 3 2015, 10:42 AM) *

Nice!
May we ask what you paid for it?

Surprised I didnt notice it being in Boulder, OR that you didnt ask anyone on this forum to look at it for you.

I paid 3k and found a guy on uship to ship it for $614 from CO to TX. I think i got a really good deal.
Ian Stott
That is a very good deal!

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada

Wonderbread
Very clean car from the photos , but not to rain on your parade I believe he told me that the underside is full of rot? I know it's been on & off line for quite sometime, again it looks sharp to me.
djporsche
pan,rocker and hell hole are all solid but the jack point is gone has about 5" by 4" hole. Looks worst in the pics then it is. metal around the hole is solid.

IPB Image
Wonderbread
Good deal, thought hard about it a while back. Guess I should have pulled the trigger. Nice car, and good deal.
914Sixer
Texas Teener, I just realized you are in San Antonio. I am up in Boerne. Give me a call some time. 210-262-4226. We have a few teener's here.
djporsche
Cool yeah i'm in San Antonio. Would be awesome to hook up with other teeners.
rangrbob
I went and looked at your car a couple weeks ago. It would have been mine if it had all the early parts I was in need of. biggrin.gif

Take your time and enjoy fixing it up. Don't get discouraged. Half the fun is getting back on the road. After seeing the paint code my plan for it was to strip it down, fix all the metal, and go back to black.

Keep the pictures coming!
Heeltoe914
Easy rust repair very nice car enjoy. LOVE THE GREEN
SA-914
Welcome! piratenanner.gif
djporsche
The BMW 320i calipers are leaking pretty bad so I bought some early 914 calipers from the classifieds, the red ones I'm sure y'all have seen them. Hoping to have them here soon.

It has 195 65 15 that rub in the rear. The rims are 5 1/2. Is it because it's a early 70? I don't remember rubbing in my other 914's which were all later models. I have a good set of 165's i might through on. My plan is to autocross it but i want to get the structural repairs done first. Then i'll hunt for a nice set of tires.
914Sixer
Rear control arm maybe out of alignment or bushings may have collapsed in it. Also early cars (up-72) have full internal lips on wheel wells . 73-on has the upper part of lip removed.
djporsche
I'll check the bushings. Thanks

IPB Image
rnellums
I drove that car and tuned the carbs on it about a year ago! LOTS of power in the mid-range!

It was a pretty good looking car then too! Congrats!

I'd dive deeper into that rust though. It looked pretty terminal when I was crawling around under it.
djporsche
were the tires rubbing then?
rnellums
Not that I recall, I only took it for a short spin though to prove out the carbs.
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(djporsche @ May 5 2015, 02:01 PM) *

That's unusual--generally the tires will rub on the outer fender, not the inner one! I would say that the wheels are too far in, but I thought your pics showed real 914 wheels and those don't seem to have this problem?

I would double-check the bushings and try to make sure the trailing arms are straight. Also make sure you don't have a ludicrous amount of negative camber.

--DD
stugray
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ May 6 2015, 09:19 AM) *

That's unusual--generally the tires will rub on the outer fender, not the inner one! I would say that the wheels are too far in, but I thought your pics showed real 914 wheels and those don't seem to have this problem?

I would double-check the bushings and try to make sure the trailing arms are straight. Also make sure you don't have a ludicrous amount of negative camber.

--DD

My car has 205/50 R15s and stock 2L Fuchs and the rears rub on the inside.
I added 3/8" Spacers to avoid that.
And it is set to max camber (no shims).
djporsche
I jacked it up and with a big screw driver i can move the rear arm about 1/4" I'm sure it moves more with all the weight of the car when it's sitting on the ground. I'm ordering new bushings all around.
djporsche
This some kind of new sleeve i don't know about?

IPB Image
IPB Image

rangrbob
QUOTE(djporsche @ May 6 2015, 04:33 PM) *

This some kind of new sleeve i don't know about?

IPB Image
IPB Image

It should be there. It's normally pressed into the bearing. I thought the same thing too.
djporsche
can i still install the sleeve to help get rid of the wobble?

IPB Image
rangrbob
QUOTE(djporsche @ May 6 2015, 07:39 PM) *

can i still install the sleeve to help get rid of the wobble?

IPB Image

I'm not really sure were that goes. As far as I know the bushing is pressed into the bearing. There should only be a spacer and a lock ring between the bushing and the bearing.
914Sixer
Sleeve is not for your car. Early cars have unique parts. Very early steering columns shared parts with VW Type 3. Pull the PET down from Porsche and look at the parts diagram.
djporsche
That would explain a lot. I'm missing the lock ring and spacer. Whats the best way to get rid of the wobble? Replace bearing? god i hope not.
djporsche
i looked at the PET and It doesn't show this long spacer i have. It also doesn't show the sleeve for the spring. Just a spring that im missing. is the missing spring my issue? or should i try this.

IPB Image
Jonathan Livesay

IPB Image

Seeing as that is on the passenger side (unless the picture is flipped) I am inclined to wonder about rust damage to the swingarm mounting points being the reason for the wheel moving around. Have you looked at that? Do both rear tires rub in the same way?

Edit: That's the drivers side isn't it? So less likely to be rusted, but still.....
djporsche
driver side. Pass side is ok, no rubbing. the door even shuts nice. biggrin.gif
rangrbob
QUOTE(djporsche @ May 7 2015, 12:47 AM) *

i looked at the PET and It doesn't show this long spacer i have. It also doesn't show the sleeve for the spring. Just a spring that im missing. is the missing spring my issue? or should i try this.

IPB Image

Nope. You need to find the spacer and lock ring. # 21 & 22 in the picture.

I have a 71 column I could sell you if interested.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
francar
enjoy yours 914 driving.gif
djporsche
QUOTE(rangrbob @ May 7 2015, 11:31 AM) *

IPB Image

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

i have 21, i need 22 and 23.
rangrbob
QUOTE(djporsche @ May 7 2015, 03:01 PM) *

QUOTE(rangrbob @ May 7 2015, 11:31 AM) *

IPB Image

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

i have 21, i need 22 and 23.

Yup. Eyes are getting bad.
djporsche
I don't need a column but I'll take the ring and spacer if you have them.
djporsche
The tire were low on air, 20psi. So i put 40psi and now it has 1/2" clearance.

IPB Image
djporsche
found the missing parts i needed for the steering column and now the wobble is pretty much gone. The temp gauge is not working so i need to check the sending unit. and the gauge. Also it has an oil leak from the rear main, i think. I made a video, check it out.

https://youtu.be/MORro8InLkY
'73Porsche914Tang
QUOTE(djporsche @ Jun 24 2015, 07:22 PM) *

found the missing parts i needed for the steering column and now the wobble is pretty much gone. The temp gauge is not working so i need to check the sending unit. and the gauge. Also it has an oil leak from the rear main, i think. I made a video, check it out.

https://youtu.be/MORro8InLkY

It's been a while, but any information on where this car went after you sold it? I would love to track it down. This was my first 914 and I regretted selling it immediately.

Any help locating it would be appreciated.
rhodyguy
That's a lot of air pressure in cold tires.
mark04usa
That's a very early car. What is the VIN? My Jan 70 car is 2791.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.