Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Can anybody tell me the difference . . . .
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
stevegm
Can anybody tell me the difference between these three gauges - as in, early/late, is one for a 6, relative value?

The top one is very similar, but not identical, to the one in my 6.
Jeffs9146
There should be a date code stamped on the back!
type47
Top one is a -6 combo gauge (suspect it is since it has the fuel gauge in the bottom) so since -6's were made 70-72, I'd say it's early. The one on the left is a late combo gauge with oil temp, no silver button like the other 2 and small red overtemp area on scale. The one on the right is an early combo gauge since it has a silver button. You can see the part number at the top face of the gauge and go to the Parts Vault on this site (located in Originality and History in The 914 Forums) and see info in the entries for the part numbers. In my opinion ....

PS: ... but looking at the example of the -6 gauge in the Parts Vault, your's does not have the idiot light for the parking brake or the other unused (for sportomatic?) idiot light but the temp scale is the same, so I can't tell you what that gauge exactly is. I'm still going to say it's for a -6.
Cairo94507
Here is the Six combo gauge from my car. Given that, if the top one is from a Six, it has to be '72. I actually doubt any of those came out of a Six confused24.gif

Click to view attachment
Tom_T
Yes - top -6 combo, L - late 2.0 combo, R - all with no OT (base gauge)

A good resource for these types of questions is p914.com
SLITS
The one everyone is saying is a /6 is a 911 combo gauge (don't know what year) with a /6 temp module installed.
type47
QUOTE(Tom_T @ May 4 2015, 11:44 AM) *

A good resource for these types of questions is p914.com

What?! shades.gif
914Sixer
Top gauge is something some one has cobbled together. The temp part is the only valuable part at $50-$75. Late temp combo gauge is worth around $100 -$125. Bottom gauge $20-$25 IF the fuel gauge works.
johnhora
Steve...look at the very top inside the glass on the front face of the gauge....there is a small Porsche part number in white printing that will tell you what they are from...
McMark
I agree that the top one looks cobbled. To my eye, it looks like it has a 914 part number, but the embossing on the warning lights is late 914, IIRC. It also looks like the silver button was added. Looks a little off center to me (slightly low). The temp gauge module looks like a -6 unit though. As far as I know, the six gauges all had four positions for warning lamps, with only three of them used.

QUOTE(johnhora @ May 4 2015, 06:02 PM) *

Steve...look at the very top inside the glass on the front face of the gauge....there is a small Porsche part number in white printing that will tell you what they are from...

Click to view attachment
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(McMark @ May 4 2015, 07:32 PM) *

As far as I know, the six gauges all had four positions for warning lamps, with only three of them used.

There were ~25 cars that used all four of the lamps. The last one was evidently for the Sporto. smile.gif

--DD
stevegm
QUOTE(McMark @ May 4 2015, 10:32 PM) *

I agree that the top one looks cobbled. To my eye, it looks like it has a 914 part number, but the embossing on the warning lights is late 914, IIRC. It also looks like the silver button was added. Looks a little off center to me (slightly low). The temp gauge module looks like a -6 unit though. As far as I know, the six gauges all had four positions for warning lamps, with only three of them used.

QUOTE(johnhora @ May 4 2015, 06:02 PM) *

Click to view attachment

The part number is - 914.641.102.10. The silver dot is dead center. I don't think it was added. But, I could be wrong. It is an interesting gauge. Here is a better picture. No point in letting it sit in my garage. Just curious what it is before I put it up for sale.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.