Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Remove flappers inside engine cowl?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Bill's Racing 914
I have a 1.7L that I am building up to race EP in VARA. Should I remove the two flappers inside the front cooling cowling or leave them there? With them open fully, the oil cooler looks like it is covered up and will get no air.... huh.gif
brant
We screw them full open to to the cooler with sheetmetal screws on -4 race motors
SirAndy
Just to clarify, the "full open to the oil cooler" position for the flaps is the default mode when the thermostat is disconnected and the passenger side flap will be DOWN and flat over the cooler.

It may look like it's blocking the cooler but in that position it actually forces the most air through the cooler.

If you remove or change the position of the flaps the cooler won't get full air.
smash.gif
SirAndy
Below is a pic of the flaps in the default position when there is NO thermostat connected.

This is the full cooling position and as you can see the passenger side flap looks like its blocking the cooler but it actually directs the maximum air down and through the cooler.

If you want full cooling at all times, that is the position you want.
smile.gif

IPB Image
ChrisFoley
remove the flaps and the stock cooler.
Click to view attachment
SirAndy
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ May 4 2015, 09:59 AM) *

agree.gif or do that ... biggrin.gif
Bill's Racing 914
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 4 2015, 10:20 AM) *

QUOTE(Racer Chris @ May 4 2015, 09:59 AM) *

or do that ... biggrin.gif

Thanks everyone for the quickresponse! excellent solutions with and without the stock oil cooler....Bill agree.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.