Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Time to start laying out the cooling system
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
quadracerx
Ok...

So parts will be here this week to finally put the mock up engine in the car for the first time....

So time to start planning the cooling system...

I want to use aluminum hard lines in the longs, I'm thinking 1.25 or 1.5 OD. I will make a removable "bottom" on each of the longs one side for aluminum cooling lines and the other for braided stainless AN Fuel Lines. So here are my initial questions:

1).Should I buy and aluminum radiator with or without a cap? If I go without I will use either an inline fill in the upper hose? Or radiator cap where the thermostat housing original was on the Small Block Chevrolet?

2) Should I buy the aluminum radiator with outlets one on each side? OR both outlets on drivers or passenger side?

3) I am using an electric remote water pump, so I could mount it in either the engine bay or front trunk?

4) Which would be easier to use 1.25 or 1.5" OD Aluminum tubing for the cooling lines?

Thanks guys I look forward to your responses...

Steve
v82go
Hi

I use 1" aluminum conduit on both of my cars, and they both have no fill radiators.

The conduit has a heavy wall and welds nice.

Good luck Bob
pdlightning
QUOTE(v82go @ May 3 2015, 03:19 PM) *

Hi

I use 1" aluminum conduit on both of my cars, and they both have no fill radiators.

The conduit has a heavy wall and welds nice.

Good luck Bob

I agree with Bob. He has done it a couple of times and there is no need to re-invent the wheel.

Some people go with 1 1/4 green stripe tubing, but the aluminum is more durable.

I don't understand how you are running the tubing through the longs. How are you going to accomplish that?
quadracerx
The plan is to cut open the bottom or side of the longs and then pull out the heat tubes and insulation. Then make removable covers so that if I need to service either the cooling lines or fuel lines it will be possible...

Thanks for your interest in my project...

Steve
Andyrew
The longs are structural, I highly suggest NOT doing that.

Also there is no good way of getting the pipes from the long to the front. Either you have to go up and above the wheel well, go into the cabin, or get crushed by the tire.

What I think were trying to say is just go under the car, there are perfect recesses for it and its super simple. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.