Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I need horns - it's CA so I need to be heard
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Cairo94507
I need a pair of horns for the Six. I want something that has the european sound but that is loud enough that when some inconsiderate jerk (lots of them in CA Bay Area) or soccer mom putting on her makeup, doing her nails, drinking her latter while screaming at her children in the back seat starts to pull out in front of me I can give a little beep to alert her to my presence. I am thinking the louder the better, but I want it to have a nice tone and not sound like some 65 Chevy truck. Any suggestions? Hella Supertones?
dangrouche
Dude, I am with you on that. I live in SF Bay area (Daly City). The OEM set on my '74 2 liter are fine. My alternative are air horns, but that takes physical space to mount the compressor and route the air lines.
'73-914kid
hella dual tone rally horns. I have them in my car, and they scare people half to death when you hit the horn.
914itis
I have a $30.00 air horn , the compressor is mounted in front of the spare tire and two horns next to the fog lights.

Takes 45 minutes to install
I am in NYC and I am heard.
dlestep
I lived in California for 22 years, from Sacto to Sandy Eggo, and from the beaches to Nevada, I never had to honk my horn, not once.
My wife, on the other hand, uses the horn on her car as a communication device, and it irritates the fuck out me when she uses it.
somd914
QUOTE('73-914kid @ May 3 2015, 11:29 PM) *

hella dual tone rally horns. I have them in my car, and they scare people half to death when you hit the horn.

I have Hella Supertones on two cars, work well and seem to be heard when used. Also just installed a set of dual tone euro horns from my FLAPS on another car - sound is a bit more tinny than the Hellas but certainly loud and get attention.
TheCabinetmaker
One more for the dual tone Hellas. Love em.
AndyB
I have a set of air horns and have only had to use them once.
ripper911
Maybe something like this is in order.

Ebay horniness
Cairo94507
I hear you Dave. I am one of those people who does not use the horn either- around the Bay Area is is referred to as the "Oakland door bell" -no offense to Oakland. But, when you absolutely need to let a tractor-trailer know you are there, or a idiot soccer-mom, well you might have to give it a tap. Sounds like the Hella Supertones get the nod.
r_towle
911 dual horns from mid 80's
mbseto
QUOTE(dlestep @ May 4 2015, 01:25 AM) *

...I never had to honk my horn, not once.

I cannot reconcile this statement with your avatar.
scotty b
Hella dual tones, or if you can find them Mercedes horns form the early -mid 60's. I have a st for one of my cars I can take a pic of if need be
VaccaRabite
IPB Image
Make sure you use a relay for the horns. Otherwise they sound really sad and not loud, and put a load on your old wire harness.

Zach
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.