Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: ATL 911 Fuel cell in a 914?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MJHanna
Has anyone tried to see if the Porsche 911 17-Gallon Fuel Cell, ATL will fit in the front trunk? It looks close dimension wise. Back is 22.38 long, rear height 12.5, sides to front are 21.00, front 16.5 long, 9.3 high. dry.gif
I'm looking for a tank that holds more fuel than the cell that goes into the "stock" place (only 10 gallons) vs 17 with this tank.
Mike Bellis
This one is 15 gallons and will almost fit in the stock location.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/rci-2161a/overview/

Click to view attachment
jackspru
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ May 4 2015, 09:54 AM) *

Click to view attachment

I just got the fuel cell but can't figure out how to make it about 2 inches slimmer to fit in stock location for the 1974 914-4.
Any help will be really appreciated.
r_towle
Most of the times I have seen it the wall in front of the existing tank is cut out using a roll cage to replace that shear support.
Then you have enough room for a fuel cell and an oil cooler with proper duct work.
Greg914-6GT
Ron Zitza owner Zotz's racing designed this custom 21 gal tank for my car. I just had the bladder replaced for $2k, not cheap, but we can run for over an hour. Click to view attachment
larryM
question is WHY? - depends on what racing venue you want to run it in

some clubs require FIA cells such as the Fuel-Safe sold thru PMS;

other racing groups may let you get by with a non-FIA cell such as that one from Summit

check your target club venue rules before you buy
Cracker
Not trying to "rain on your parade" but that isn't a "fuel cell" as much as simply
a gas tank. I wouldn't trust a "fabricated gas tank" that retails for $225 and wholesales, therefore, for roughly half that! I read a review regarding "cracks" and I'm not surprised.

The "racing cells" are expensive, in part, due to a safety bladder (and corresponding certifications)...depends on your intentions but for racing it would be a big NO. If its to be
used as a "hot rod" car - stick with an original tank.

Tony
Jetsetsurfshop
sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif headbang.gif
Don't know if this helps of not. Its an ATL fuel cell. 22 gallons.
ThePaintedMan
Shane's fuel cell is really nice. I definitely noticed the shift in balance forward from having the tank further up front. And as I got down to 1/2 tank or lower, it really started freeing up the back end as the weight transferred back, closer to stock. Car is a hoot to drive! Thanks Shane smile.gif
jackspru
thanks for the reply.
I will be adding fuel cell foam and it does not have to be FIA.
One of the members seems like was pretty confident it can be placed in original location. I don't have space in front due to dry sump canister and filter already taking most of the space and don't want to change anything.
wndsrfr
QUOTE(jackspru @ Nov 14 2015, 06:35 PM) *

QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ May 4 2015, 09:54 AM) *

Click to view attachment

I just got the fuel cell but can't figure out how to make it about 2 inches slimmer to fit in stock location for the 1974 914-4.
Any help will be really appreciated.

I've got the same tank in my car.....got a lot of starvation on long sweepers on the track even with nearly 5 gallons in there since the pickup was getting air when cornering at high g loads. I put in a couple of pickups at opposite ends of the tank with snowmobile pickups that are supposed to shut off if they see air. Still need to top up the tank before every 30 minute session. Before you put the foam in, take a hard look at this...if I had it to do over, I'd go for the Holley "hydramat"....no affiliation.
http://www.arcaracing.com/articles/1991848...hydramat-system
Cracker
Thanks John...I'd never heard of that before - pretty nifty.

Tony

[quote name='wndsrfr' date='Nov 16 2015, 09:15 PM' post='2265955']
[/quote]

I've got the same tank in my car.....got a lot of starvation on long sweepers on the track even with nearly 5 gallons in there since the pickup was getting air when cornering at high g loads. I put in a couple of pickups at opposite ends of the tank with snowmobile pickups that are supposed to shut off if they see air. Still need to top up the tank before every 30 minute session. Before you put the foam in, take a hard look at this...if I had it to do over, I'd go for the Holley "hydramat"....no affiliation.
[/quote]
MJHanna
I love how threads take on a life of their own. This is the custom cell that had deteriorated just like every car that I have bought with a fuel cell. (I’m going to start taking off the cost to replace the cell on the next car) I was looking for a "stock solution” rather than pay for another custom replacement cell. The cell is still in the car so you know what I did$$$ blink.gif confused24.gif hissyfit.gif
MJHanna
I also run a surge tank in the cells and it stops the running out of fuel in the corners
jackspru
Thanks for the info. Seems like interesting product and will definitely look in to it.
Thanks everyone for the replies but really I haven't receive the exact answer I came here for.
Let me try one more time:
I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF ANYONE TRIED TO FIT THE ABOVE TANK IN THE FACTORY TANK LOCATION. IF IT'S PRETTY EASY PROCEDURE I WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE YOUR GUIDANCE.
Thanks you.
jcd914
You could look into one of these:

Click to view attachment

There is a thread in the paddock on this tank.

Paddock, Custom Fuel Cell Thread

Jim
jd74914
QUOTE(wndsrfr @ Nov 16 2015, 09:15 PM) *

That looks so cool! Thanks for sharing!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.