Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: new master cylinder weeping fluid
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mwood
Hey all

I recently replaced my mc with a 19mm unit from rockauto
I also bought new rubber grommets for the reservoir inlets as the old ones were old and cracked.

I installed both feed lines after considerable f-ing around and now at least one is weeping brake fluid all over itself and the car.
the floor under the pedal box is soaked, but I am assuming the fluid is not coming from
the new mc as I felt around under it and it didnt see to be coming from there.

the strange part: I bled the rear brakes and am getting friction from them. I am unable to bleed the front brakes and have a soft pedal. could this be that only one reservoir line is loose and that it is responsible for the front brakes?

the connections seemed secure to the reservoir lines. I seem to remember there being metal washers underneath or in the grommets, if I left those out, could that be the problem?

help is greatly appreciated
Am currently on east coast, car is on west coast, so unable to take pics. Shouldnt be neccessary anyway

thanks!
Mitch
SLITS
If you got the URO brand, it doesn't come with the steel washers.

I took the old ones out of my ATE and the rubbers and installed them on the URO. I am not sure what the washers do, but I couldn't get the feed lines installed until I used the ATE rubbers and washers.
Mwood
Yeah i got the uro. And i had remembered pulling the steel washers out if the oem and not putting them in the uro
Good call
But still a little unsure
Mikey914
Avoid the Uro one. I replaced mine before WCR, and my brakes workd fine at 1st, then I had to start pumping them. Tried bleeding them multiple times, and finally gave up. My mechanic said the master cylinder failed, replaced it with factory 19mm unit and works great. A little less than $400 but the what's it worth to sop your car?

Not a big fan of Uro here.
boxsterfan
Get the ATE brand.
Mwood
Going to try and make uro item work due to severely limited funds - college student
Have to get gas tank ovehauled soon and thats another load of cash
Aside from buying a new multi hundred dollar part, anyone have any advice?

Thanks to those who have put in so far
Mitch
mepstein
You got good advice, take it or not...
SLITS
If you could get a kit for the 19mm ATE and use the rubbers in the URO, it might work. URO rubber is for shit (on any product they make)!
ripper911
QUOTE(SLITS @ May 4 2015, 03:57 PM) *

If you could get a kit for the 19mm ATE and use the rubbers in the URO, it might work. URO rubber is for shit (on any product they make)!

The rebuild kit...
Mwood
QUOTE(SLITS @ May 4 2015, 12:57 PM) *

I believe you can order the grommets individually. I'll also try to find the washers.
Good idea, i think this is the way to go
Thanks for the help.
P.s. Are you still using the uro mc body w ate groms? How long has it lasted for you?

Mitch
pilothyer
QUOTE(Mwood @ May 4 2015, 02:34 PM) *

Going to try and make uro item work due to severely limited funds - college student

Mitch

Don't spend a load of cash on the fuel tank........take it out, rinse it out with diesel fuel (1 Gallon) replace the sock, replace the lines from the tank to the tunnel connections..........put it all back in and gooooooooo!!!!!!!!
VaccaRabite
I thought I'd save money (years ago) and bought a Uro master. It was leaking right fro mthe start. Binned it and bought a quality MC.

Zach
Mwood
QUOTE(pilothyer @ May 4 2015, 02:26 PM) *

QUOTE(Mwood @ May 4 2015, 02:34 PM) *

Mitch

Don't spend a load of cash on the fuel tank........take it out, rinse it out with diesel fuel (1 Gallon) replace the sock, replace the lines from the tank to the tunnel connections..........put it all back in and gooooooooo!!!!!!!!

Hey man, is that what you do when you shake the thing and it sounds like there's sand in it? Haha. i have no idea whats going on with it but I'll give the diesel a try. Wish the po was slightly trustworthy

Mitch
pilothyer
If it has lots of crud in it, use hot water first till it all comes out, then last do the diesel treatment...............but by all means replace the sock.
pilothyer
PM Sent
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.