Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My new toy
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BillC
Howdy,

I just bought my first 914 this past Saturday. Had a nice drive back from Ohio to Maryland with it, got about 30 mpg at "highway" speeds.

It's a '73 1.7, and it's pretty original. Still running the stock fuel injection. It has a few issues, mostly minor, the biggest one is that the first gear synchro is shot. I just sent Dr. Evil a PM to order his 901 rebuild DVD.

My plan is to fix as many of the issues as I can in my spare time, and just drive it around and enjoy it. I think the synchro is going to be the first "big" project. Then, I'll work on adding heat and maybe swaybars over time.

Anyways, here are a couple of pics the previous owner took.
Cuda911
Looks great... congrats!!!! welcome.png
Mike Bellis
welcome.png
sb914
welcome.png nice ride
theleschyouknow
welcome.png
good-looking car I have heard the yellow ones are faster enjoy!
cjl
stevegm
Great looking car. Love the hubcaps. Welcome.
gfg3
Yellow is best! Congrats.

welcome.png

George
Big Len
No better toy.....good luck.
JawjaPorsche
Nice score! beerchug.gif
Shadowfax
welcome.png
Car looks clean!
arkitect
Nice looking teener, nice to start with a runner. biggrin.gif

Dave
db9146
Welcome and congrats. There are a lot of great folks here with all the 914 knowledge you will ever need!!! I rely on it all the time.
KELTY360
welcome.png

Nice car. I had a Sunflower Yellow '73 1.7 brand new. It was a great car and fueled a lifelong attraction to these funny little cars. Enjoy.
somd914
Welcome. Nice purchase!

In case you are not aware of regular weekend activities:

Katie's C&C in Great Falls, VA on Saturdays from 7:00-9:00 but during the summer get there by 6:30 to get decent parking. This is the premier C&C in the DC area IMHO.

Annapolis City Dock C&C on Sundays from 9:00-11:00. This is one is hit or miss but seems to be on the upswing.
struckn
welcome.png

Very original looking 914 in a cool color, congrats....they're a lot of fun and best with the top off IMO.

First Gear is a common thing to get use too. I'm thinking you may want to search the posts about first gear grinding and causes, may not be the sync. Common causes are linkage or clutch cable out of adjustment and worn bushings in the path of the shift rod back to the tranny. When you shift to first try to shift to second first and as you slow down just before stopping, down shift to first......standard 914 procedure.

driving.gif

BillC
Thanks for the warm welcome. aktion035.gif I'm sure I'm going to have plenty of questions in the future.
campbellcj
welcome.png

What's the rust situation like? It sure appears to be a solid original car, congrats!
zymurgist
Very cool. Hope you have many hours enjoying it. welcome.png
EdwardBlume
welcome.png w00t.gif
montoya 73 2.0
welcome.png

good looking car!
Cairo94507
welcome.png That is a very original looking 914. Take your time and address any issues one at a time so your car does not find itself on jack stands for a prolonged period of time. They seem to like being on jack stands for some reason....
BillC
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ May 5 2015, 03:28 PM) *

welcome.png That is a very original looking 914. Take your time and address any issues one at a time so your car does not find itself on jack stands for a prolonged period of time. They seem to like being on jack stands for some reason....

Excellent suggestion. I definitely want to avoid any extended bout of jackstand-itis.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.