Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil Temperature Sender Substitute? RESOLVED!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GregAmy
Anyone have an acceptable substitute for the taco plate oil temp sender for the '73 combo gauge?

I have a 1974 car, but according to P914.com I have a 1973 combo gauge. The car also has an appearance group center console installed, but the oil temp gauge was not connected there; the sender wire goes straight forward through the harness to the dash. I'm guessing someone added that later.

My current problem is that the oil temp sender in the combo gauge just barely comes off the peg. At an indicated 220 degrees via the dipstick thermometer, the gauge is just about a needle width off the left white line, and rarely moves any farther. Given the variation in installed equipment on this car I'm guessing the incorrect sender is installed back there; since I'm about to do an oil and filter change I'd like to replace the temperature sender at the same time.

Info/ideas appreciated on this mongrel.

I've replaced the center console temp gauge with a VDO pressure gauge; Chris Foley has a nice steel-braided extension line that will allow me to remote-mount the VDO sender.

Alternatively, I actually have a '73 non-appearance group fuel gauge. If the engine has the correct sender for the appearance group oil temperature sender (how do I know?) then I can consider re-installing the oil temp gauge in the center console in place of the clock (which I've disconnected to reduce battery drain) and wiring that up instead, then install the '73 fuel gauge.

The joys of 40-yr-old cars...

Greg
McMark
The combo gauge with the temp sender should have the fuel gauge on the bottom. None of the new stuff matches the original stuff. So if you have an original gauge you need and original sender. If you have a new gauge you need a new sender.
michael7810
I have a similar problem with my triple gauge. The needle barely moves farther than the white line. Is there a reference that shows the temp vs resistance for the variance part number sending units? I think my gauge has a 200C redline I would like to find a sensor that hits redline around 250F. Thanks
GregAmy
Update: I got motivated last night and replaced the cluster-mounted combo gauge with a '74 non-Appearance Group fuel gauge I had, and removed the clock from the center console and re-installed the oil temp gauge there (the spot was taken by an oil pressure gauge). I intercepted the green/black sender wire going forward and hooked it all up. Easy job.

Now the center console temp gauge is showing...less than a need-width off the left white line, just like the combo gauge did. This, at a dipstick-indicated temperature of 200 degrees. This post indicates it should probably be higher.

Can someone suggest a suitable replacement sender for the oil temperature gauge? I understand the OE part is NLA. I'd prefer a 120C or 150C sender for higher sensitivity and quicker sweep.

Greg
GregAmy
Because I know that the forum has been waiting with bated breath for the results (dry.gif )...I replaced the factory 200C sender in the taco plate* with a VDO 150C sender, part number 323-055. Gauge now comes off the stop and the range is very similar to the JPG attached below for the early gauge that I have. I was getting 235 on the dipstick thermometer and the gauge needle was right across the "E" in "Temp".

I'm guessing 235 is not a terrible number for fresh Brad Penn 10-40 on a 75 degree day?

Got the VDO oil pressure gauge working thanks to Chris Foley for the remote mount oil line (call him for details). So the center console is now oil pressure, oil temperature, and volts.

Thanks for all the feedback.

GA

* Why is this called a "taco plate"? Foley says it should be call a "tortilla plate"...

IPB Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.