Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Have you broken the targa clips in the trunk
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
zambezi
A while back I had the targa top stowed in the trunk and needed to get something from underneath it. I thought to myself.... I can get it out from underneath without completely removing the targa. I will just be carefull and pick it up just enough to get the item out. Then ... snap! The clip broke. Has that happened to anyone else?
Click to view attachment
Tom_T
Old clips get brittle, but the trick is to slide it a 1/4-1/2" forward & lift.

Porsche actually designed them to do just what you are trying to do.

TT beerchug.gif
///////
zambezi
So I came up with my version of a solution. I made the clips pivot.
I used a 1 inch stainless piano hinge. 3 inch long piece on each one. I drilled the holes to match the car being sure that the hinges are in alignment with each other on each side. The hinges are secured through the original holes with #8 x 32 x 1/2 inch long countersunk machine screws. The new targa clips are then riveted to the hinge using 3/16 x 1/4 inch pop rivets and a rivet washer on each one. It all works as I envisioned and will now allow me to access the trunk without lifting the targa completely out of the trunk. This is how it should have been designed from the beginning.
Click to view attachment
zambezi
Heres a couple more pics
Click to view attachment
zambezi
both installed and targa in place
Click to view attachment
zambezi
Now it hinges like I need it to.
Click to view attachment
Johny Blackstain
Yep, I broke one. The clip is still available, but the hard part is finding a matching rivet. Most people give up & just bolt the new one in, which is what I would do if originality didn't matter so much. In the pic below the new one is on the left & can clearly be distinguished from the original one on the right. They do get old, yellow & brittle.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.