Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: GT/LE front valence
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rgalla9146
Is there such a thing as a fiberglass front valence that combines the features of a GT and the Limited Edition ? ( flared ends, oil cooler inlet, flat - vertical across the front about 4" deep)
db9146
Here is one that I believe fits the bill as described:

Click to view attachment
db9146
The problem is that when I spoke with the owner of the car, he was not aware of anyone making this.....he seemed to indicate that it was a one-off or very custom, low volume item, IIRC.
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(db9146 @ May 5 2015, 10:18 PM) *

The problem is that when I spoke with the owner of the car, he was not aware of anyone making this.....he seemed to indicate that it was a one-off or very custom, low volume item, IIRC.

agree.gif
I've never seen one & have had the same thoughts you did regarding one. Unfortunately, I think your best bet is to purchase a replica & modify it.
rgalla9146
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ May 5 2015, 10:22 PM) *

QUOTE(db9146 @ May 5 2015, 10:18 PM) *

agree.gif
I've never seen one & have had the same thoughts you did regarding one. Unfortunately, I think your best bet is to purchase a replica & modify it.

That is along the lines of what I would like.
For me, the oil cooler inlet should be the size of that on a GT
Without seeing the sides it's hard to know what the shape would be
to suit the flares.

EdwardBlume
Its frustrating that there is no flared front valence in existence. The way that the front valence ends are tapered makes it hard to extend it up and out. The LE valence as pictured helps because it creates more of a right angle to build on and out.
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ May 6 2015, 09:05 AM) *

That is along the lines of what I would like.
For me, the oil cooler inlet should be the size of that on a GT
Without seeing the sides it's hard to know what the shape would be
to suit the flares.

Since the flares are not stock & always added on there is no consistency in their width & placement, so modification of any front unit would be necessary to match them up to the flares. Even if someone made an LE spoiler w/ a GT opening & flared ends, I doubt they'd match up (alignment) to both the flares & the GT bumper when you bolt it on. It's a lot of work but to get the best fit you should mount an ordinary LE spoiler under a 914 with a GT bumper & flares, & then go to town cutting & fiberglassing the spoiler to fit right. As to the flared ends, you could decide how you want to shape them to suit your tastes.
rgalla9146

Oh !
I didn't realize I wasn't seeing the whole picture.
The flared sides on that valence look great.
The only thing I would change would be the oil cooler inlet.
Can anyone here can identify who made that valence ?
Or info on a supplier ?
914dave
Rory
The guy who made them passed away. Chris Foley at Tangerine was selling them for a while but has them NLA on his site now. The brother of the original producer had 10 or so IIRC. He did sell one that I know of. To me. It's in the box in my basement.
Dave
Kansas 914
QUOTE(914dave @ May 6 2015, 09:25 AM) *

Rory
The guy who made them passed away. Chris Foley at Tangerine was selling them for a while but has them NLA on his site now. The brother of the original producer had 10 or so IIRC. He did sell one that I know of. To me. It's in the box in my basement.
Dave

That might be a great template for Tangerine or 914Rubber if it isn't protected by copyrights or similar.

There is a need for this.
914dave
I kind of agree with Rory. I was considering closing the opening to match the gt bumper opening. Didn't want to mod it until I made a mold to match the the original. Then I could produce both. By that will have to wait until the car is done and I have a little time.
Harpo
Sorry for the slight hijack but what are the dimensions for the GT opening in the bumper?

Thanks

DAvid
db9146
I believe the car that this is on is a 3.2 with a front oil cooler. With the opening in the spoiler this wide, I believe it would flow all the air necessary into the holes across the front of the trunk without having to modify the front bumper unless you really wanted to. Additionally, since you are not cutting into the bumper, the cost of the front bumper is less because as we have seen recently, a reworked GT bumper with fresh chrome is $1000. I like it as shown because its more understated but to each his own.
db9146
I'd certainly be in for one if "someone" here chooses to reproduce it....maybe pulling a mold from some kind soul who might happen to have one all wrapped up in the basement.... shades.gif smile.gif
914dave
QUOTE(Harpo @ May 6 2015, 05:14 PM) *

Sorry for the slight hijack but what are the dimensions for the GT opening in the bumper?

Thanks

DAvid

David
The oil cooler opening on a GT fiberglass front bumper is 20". That is from a GT racing products bumper.
Dave

As I stated before , there are a few in existence. Someone ought to get ahold of Chris @ Tangerine and find out if the unavailability is temporary or permanent. If it's permanent, then we can look into what our options might be.

db9146
I'm sure we can work out something.
db9146
Update:

I talked with Chris at Tangerine Racing and he only had the one that he sold to 914Dave. He is unsure about being able to contact the person who had them but he'll give it a shot.....may take a while and still may not be successful. He had little to go on.

I suspect that if that doesn't pan out, we may have to look into alternatives. Let's let this one ripen up a bit.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.