Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Porsche just had its best month ever in the US, and it's thanks to one car
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JeffBowlsby
I guess if P-car SUV's didn't exist today, Porsche might not either.

With 5,217 cars sold in April, Porsche's US operations had its best month in company history.

According to the automaker, sales were up 28%, compared to the same period in 2014.

Although, 5,000 or so cars sold in a month may not sound all that impressive — especially compared to the the 62,000 F-Series pickups Ford sold — but for a boutique performance manufacturer, Porsche's sales numbers are terrific.

The majority of this growth can be attributed to just one model — the Macan crossover.

In April, the 1,537 Macans that left showrooms represent 29.5% of Porsche sales in the US

15 years ago, Porsche met with significant opposition when it decided to jump into the SUV market.

Many automotive traditionalists were confounded by the prospect of one of the world's great sports-car makers building four-door off-roaders.

But Porsche's decision has been vindicated. The Cayenne SUV is Porsche's bestseller and a veritable cash cow for the company. And the new, smaller Macan crossover is extending that success. Of the 47,000 cars the company sold in the US last year, half were SUVs.

Porsche could improve on that result this year. So far in 2015, 57% of the 16,647 vehicles Porsche sold have been either a Cayenne or a Macan.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/the-macan-c...5#ixzz3ZO873pQZ
screenguy914
Won't be long until PAG starts selling large PU trucks (code name "Panzer"), and at some point should ask itself (or parent VW) what kind of company it wants to be.

Sherwood

QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ May 6 2015, 12:26 PM) *

I guess if P-car SUV's didn't exist today, Porsche might not either.

With 5,217 cars sold in April, Porsche's US operations had its best month in company history.

According to the automaker, sales were up 28%, compared to the same period in 2014.

Although, 5,000 or so cars sold in a month may not sound all that impressive — especially compared to the the 62,000 F-Series pickups Ford sold — but for a boutique performance manufacturer, Porsche's sales numbers are terrific.

The majority of this growth can be attributed to just one model — the Macan crossover.

In April, the 1,537 Macans that left showrooms represent 29.5% of Porsche sales in the US

15 years ago, Porsche met with significant opposition when it decided to jump into the SUV market.

Many automotive traditionalists were confounded by the prospect of one of the world's great sports-car makers building four-door off-roaders.

But Porsche's decision has been vindicated. The Cayenne SUV is Porsche's bestseller and a veritable cash cow for the company. And the new, smaller Macan crossover is extending that success. Of the 47,000 cars the company sold in the US last year, half were SUVs.

Porsche could improve on that result this year. So far in 2015, 57% of the 16,647 vehicles Porsche sold have been either a Cayenne or a Macan.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/the-macan-c...5#ixzz3ZO873pQZ

Elliot Cannon
Porsche wants to be a "successful" company. To do that, they need to make a profit. To do that they will sell what people want. In this case it's a small SUV with a Porsche logo on it.
Rleog
If it takes Macans and Cayennes to keep the development going, hail Zuffenhausen. I have a '87 Carrera that I love, and I have a '73 914 that I have a love/hate relationship with....I love the car and I hate myself that it's still on blocks in the garage.

Other things I love about Porsche: reading about the Cayman GT4 development (find Chris Harris' film clip of his Cayman GT4 test on YouTube), watching the 919 in the WEC, being associated with a brand that has a trademark of striving for excellence.

Cayenne? Heck of a lot more fun than driving a 4Runner. I think Ferry would be proud of seeing what Porsche SUVs have enabled his company to do.
Larmo63
It reminds me of how our beloved 914 mid-engined sports car saved Porsche way back when….
snakemain
My wife loves hers! I do too. It's a rocket, and the kids fit in the back seats.
914Sixer
Porsche is now one of MANY Volkswagen products !!!
Maltese Falcon
SUV, Crossover, Station wagon, whatever;
It's also got a great v8 in it.
With a little Texas engineering, it brings home the bacon too flag.gif
Marty Click to view attachment
Dave_Darling
I still remember the T-shirts at the 2000 Parade in Sac'to: "Screw Le Mans, we're building an SUV!"

--DD
mgp4591
QUOTE(914Sixer @ May 6 2015, 09:01 PM) *

Just like Ferrari is on of Fiats' many products- if you're going to produce cars focused to a very small demographic, you have to have a product that offsets those expenses because they truly are a rarefied product for a specific group. Porsche and its corporate brothers have reached a solution that is profitable and allows its coffers to swell, paving the way for more technological masterpieces like the 918 and expand those heady projects well into the future. It's called capitalism and when it works it can be a good thing!
Plus, the Macan is one hot looking crossover!
bulitt
Tax refund month.

Alphaogre
I don't mind, porsche is quality in engineering above all else, if they apply that to a cross over then so be it. I am far off from buying a 911 or upper range porsche, but if I can get a Meccan as opposed to a q5 or x5 then all the better.
EdwardBlume
Porsche still retains something special that evokes passion for driving.

I look forward to driving a 997 or 991 at some point.
jcd914
QUOTE(914Sixer @ May 6 2015, 09:01 PM) *

OK, so Porsche AG (the car manufacturing business) is now owned by Volkswagen AG, along with Volkswagen, Audi, SEAT, Skoda, Bentley, Bugatti, Lamborghini & Ducati (and some others).

BUT Porsche SE (a holding company) is the majority owner (50.76%?) of Volkswagen AG.

Porsche SE also owns Porsche Engineering & Porsche Design Group.

So maybe all those VW's are really just one of many Porsche Products?

Jim
Mueller
Macan Bacon? smile.gif

I have only seen one Macan so far near my house, it is a sharp looking vehicle....I wouldn't mind test driving one...I really[b] want the motor out of one!

I used to despise the notion of 4 door Porsches and SUV Porsches but I guess they have grown on me and I now accept them.

r_towle
Design a 500HP porsche pickup truck that can mount a plow and tow 7k lbs and I am in.

I have been waiting....
Take the Cayenne/Toureg platform and make a truck...put the diesel in it, and the hybrid....done.

OR, we can continue to buy 15mpg F150 trucks forever.

Rich
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.