Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Price the damage estimate!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ferg
Picked up a Mint 1989 Acura Integra less than a week ago. 56k original miles, one owner, grandma car. Time capsule. 5k spent on service in the last 11k miles. Super nice car...

Let my father use it while he was in town. Jackass backed out of a spot on city street, across a lane of traffic and right into my dad.

I'll be dealing with at fault persons insurance, took it to my body guy today. They were slammed so he is emailing me the estimate.

Who wants to wager a guess.

I'm betting I'm going to have to fight to keep it from being totaled. Door will not open, so likely inner rods bend, and possible door jamb tweeked. Door is sprung up top. Luckily it's just the door, quarter panel was spared.
SLITS
$3K
914Mels
3k with a used door
stugray
QUOTE(914Mels @ May 6 2015, 02:11 PM) *

3k with a used door

WTF.gif

used door at a pick-u-part -~ $250
1 hour of labor

Did the 1989 part get missed?

A front FENDER dented WORSE than that on my 89 supra was estimated at $1k.
Ferg
QUOTE(stugray @ May 6 2015, 02:50 PM) *

QUOTE(914Mels @ May 6 2015, 02:11 PM) *

3k with a used door

WTF.gif

used door at a pick-u-part -~ $250
1 hour of labor

Did the 1989 part get missed?

A front FENDER dented WORSE than that on my 89 supra was estimated at $1k.

I think you are missing the "mint" part. 89 or not, this car is one of a kind.

Used door, plus paint, body work, moving perfect interior panel ect, hang the door, blend the paint new rub strip ect ect

still no word. but I'm betting 2k.

not to mention it will never be the same again sad.gif
damesandhotrods
Because of the possibility of door jamb issues I’m going go with the insurance company is going to say total irregardless of repair costs. And you’ll have to worry about buying it back, fixing the door, and getting a branded title…
somd914
A scrape on the door of our MDX, compliments of hotel valet parking, was a $600 repair just for paint work. Amazing how the body shops all wanted the exact same price... Oh well, it was the hotel's money.
Beeliner
If the insurance company wants it totaled, don't put in a claim.

Keep it, get a used door and go forward. driving.gif
Ferg
First I gotta get in touch with the other party dry.gif phone number he supplied was his work. They have not seen him in a few days, and basically told me good luck.

Police report will not be available for a few days, so I have no way to reach his insurance since my Dad failed to get it at time of the accident. It's on the report, but the report is in process.

I have a feeling this won't be straight forward. His work gave me a bad impression, and the cop was a total ass. He bitched and moaned about the report to begin with, and failed to give my aging father the others guy info like I requested. ( I was not there at the time)

On the bright side this was the best possible car in my fleet to have this happen to. SO glad it was not my driver, wife's, or a P car.

stay tuned.
Spoke
My estimate: Starting bodywork at $500. Entire door plus repaint entire side: $1500. Total $2k.
stugray
I did a quick parts search on PartsHotLines component search and found a LH, electric door for a 86 Integra for $353 with 60 seconds of research time.

I saw a couple of Acuras in the pickupart in Aurora last year but they only show a late 90s integra there now.
brant
2200. Low mile car of a collectible model. Tell them it's a 5k show survivor and don't let them total it. I'll buy it from you if they do total it
zambezi
If you don't have some kind of agreed value insurance, good luck in them giving a s@#t about it being low mileage, or a survivor. To them its just an '89. Bluebook tells them what they need to know.
Ferg
I've already started gathering comps. Found one in St Louis with 100k miles for 4k. Another in DC that has a vtec for 9k with 59k miles. Trying to arm myself with my own comps when they lowball me.

Still have not heard from the body shop. They are slammed so no surprise.

Put in the formal request for police report, so I can contact this guys insurance.

Andyrew
Insurance shop doing the repair? 3k sound like on the money...

You doing the repair yourself? 500 tops... That door is just stuck, I doubt the jamb is damaged much at all. You should be able to grab a good door for 75 bucks, the rest is paint/minor labor.
Ferg
Drumroll... $1,670.34

That is before any add on items if door jamb is tweaked. (doubtful to me)

Still no word or the report from Police dept (called this AM) and still no contact with offending party. In limbo at the moment.
brant
Pd up there is so questionable.
Andyrew
Thats actually not half bad. At least that will help keep them from totaling it..

Still no way on earth I would pay that.. smile.gif
euro911
I hate when shit like that happens. Had a guy run into the back of my '67 bus, back in the late 70's. The guy said he didn't have insurance but would pay for the repairs. The dick gave me a bogus address & phone #. A little time looking in the white pages led to his parents' phone #.

Called and spoke with his mom, claiming to be an old high school chum - "I just lost track of where he moved to and his new phone #" (no cell phones or # portability back then).

She told me that he moved a few weeks prior and didn't have a new phone yet, but told me he was still working at a local 76 gas station.

Showed up at his work with two 300# + wrestling friends and told him it would be wise to pay up. Also told him, that he could try to elude me again, and get a new job, but I'd find him again, and if that happened, I'd let my two friends 'play' with him slap.gif

He had the $ for me on Friday aktion035.gif
mbseto
300lbs? Man, hs wrestling in socal must have been very different from ohio...
jim_hoyland
My by-the-seat estimate $2,500; &3K isn't,t that far off. Nice car smile.gif
infraredcalvin
QUOTE(Ferg @ May 11 2015, 03:09 PM) *

Drumroll... $1,670.34

That is before any add on items if door jamb is tweaked. (doubtful to me)

Still no word or the report from Police dept (called this AM) and still no contact with offending party. In limbo at the moment.

Wife got in a crash where the police took all the info. It took 2 weeks before the paperwork was even filed, then another 2 weeks afterwards to finally get a copy of the report.

i ended up going through my insurance co, you bet they tracked down the other guy's insurance (although it was a large claim). It was a little time and hassle, but in the end I was out no cash.

Keep on them, good luck!
euro911
QUOTE(mbseto @ May 12 2015, 05:34 AM) *
300lbs? Man, hs wrestling in socal must have been very different from ohio...
Yep, 6'5" and 300#. These were two big boys, and they were brothers … and they let me date their younger sister too smile.gif
Ferg
Update:

Made contact finally with the offending party, and a claim with his insurance has been started. He was nice enough on the phone, apologized for the lack of contact. He lives in a trailer in the mountains without electricity, water, or phone blink.gif I know the "town" it's pretty much an ex hippie establishment, off the grid. I Mtn bike through it from time to time.

His insurance needed to talk to him again, after they hung up with me, but could not get a hold of him. I hope it does not take another week, we are in Limbo again.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.