Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Speedo angle drive
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sdoolin
So my speedo quit working a couple of days ago. I have verified that it is not the head unit or the cable itself. Running the tranny end of the cable with an electric drill causes the needle to move.

Looks like it is the "angle drive" unit (to me) that has failed. I have removed this from the tranny and cleaned it up. Spinning the female end of it (that bolts into the nose piece) with a screwdriver only _sometimes_ causes the male end (output to the cable) to turn. It seems very "loose".

I have seen several threads on this (larmo63 has a recent thread) but I cannot tell if the piece is rebuildable and if so, how to do so? Looks like Pelican has replacements but they are $95 and I am too busy spending money on my 911 to go and buy the part from Pelican.

I did search and found great info on how to remove tach to get to speedo to remove speedo cable and trip reset cable, just can't quite find an answer to this specific question.

All help appreciated...
Millerwelds
I bought a used one from BDStone on here. swapped it out and it works fine now. I think I paid $50. Post a WTB and I am sure others will pipe in. beerchug.gif
SirAndy
McMark sells a upgraded version that has two o-rings, send him a PM ...
smile.gif
Java2570
914 Rubber is now selling the ones McMark came up with! I got in on a GB for that one....
sdoolin
This is the piece I am referring to. I don't see this available at 914 Rubber (I may be missing it)...

Click to view attachment

The side of it that bolts into the tranny seems very loose from the side that accepts the cable. Wondering if it is rebuildable.
Bob L.
Yeah, that's the "Speedo angle drive". Bdstone should be able to help you out.
Send him a P.M.
sdoolin
PM does not find a user named "bdstone"?
Larmo63
I never did get mine fixed. I didn't understand what I should do to fix mine. I never got it the part out of the transmission.

I just guess my speed.
stugray
QUOTE(sdoolin @ May 6 2015, 03:04 PM) *

PM does not find a user named "bdstone"?

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showuser=1319

'bdstone914'
bdstone914
Yes i have them. Yes,you should only need the angle drive. The improved upper parts is to fix leaks. Won't make your speedo work
sdoolin
PM sent bdstone914.

This place is great...
Mikey914
Yes the upper is nice to stop leaks. After you get one from Bruce you can sacrifice the old one to see. I have one on my car that someone had removed the end cap and epoxied back together. So, I do believe it can be done. What it takes and how to are still a mystery.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.