Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT- Picked up the Westy today.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Bleyseng
This is why I didn't nab that 74 for $700, this one runs and only has 120k miles. Needs some work, seals, oil leaks fixed, some paint touch up and all. The price was right! FREE as in GET it off the property!
Drove it home.

Anyone know how to clean off that green slime off the fiberglass roof???

Geoff
Mark Henry
COOL! smilie_pokal.gif

I've had a few in my day. Wish I still had my '78.
rhodyguy
spray bottle with bleach. price out the pop top seals yet? biggrin.gif is the area that holds the propane bottle rotted out?

kevin
Rhodes71/914
I put many miles on a 74 westy. Like to have another some day.
Bleyseng
Yep, seal kit is only $79

Geoff
rhodyguy
canvas curtains? parking will be getting tight.

k
Bleyseng
Its got curtains but the seats need to be redone again. Someone did them in a cheap salt/pepper crap. Looking to get the original green/yellow plaid. Monique loves to sew.

Geoff biggrin.gif
rhodyguy
there was a clean orange/white one i tried to check on about 2 years ago. i was too slow. it had a tow bar too. could never quite understand what they would tow it with. a motor home? biggrin.gif

k
r_towle
Awsome.

I knew I liked you.

Good choice in projects.

I would try to clean the roof with TSP (Tri Sodium Phosphate)

If not, bleach will work, but TSP takes mold and mildew off houses, decks etc...works great.

www.gowesty.com
www.reimo.de or www.riemo.de (german original stuff, fabric is available)

Rich
Bleyseng
I order $250 worth of parts from GoWesty today. Cleaned the bus up and went for a nice drive cuz it is sunny.
Found out:
1. The brakes are freakin shot, pulls all over the place if and when it stops.
2. This is one gutless pos motor so have to check things out to see if it running on more than one cylinder. Heck, maybe Otto built this motor.
3. Do these have a heater??? Pulled the lever and it felt like someone was breathing hot air onto my fingers or I thought that was hot air.. My old bus would cook you out..

hey, bus people wave at ya like teener folk!
Geoff
ThinAir
QUOTE (Bleyseng @ Feb 19 2005, 09:03 PM)
hey, bus people wave at ya like teener folk!

As a fellow bus person, I'm inclined to think that the bus folks actually invented this practice. There's something just so darn friendly about a bus!

Ya know - if you really don't need another project I'll be happy to come up there and take it off your hands. The wife's ride is a 2000 Eurovan Camper, but I still miss our 1969 Bus Camper.
Bleyseng
I just oredered another $100 in door seal parts from West Coast Metric. Maybe that will keep the pathetic heat in and the cold freakin air out! Yikes! Driving home tonight was cold...

nah, got to keep it for awhile as Monique wants to use it this summer and Blair wants to use too.
I'll sell it when its in the way, probably pretty soon to raise cash for the 914 2.4 motor.
Mark Henry
Hey, you have too be cool to be cool dude! smile.gif
Bleyseng
No, it was 37 degrees outside tonight and 37 degrees inside the camper. Thats too cold for this poor old fart. Heater controls don't seem to do much maybe the cables are broke.

Prefect timing as the 914 is in the garage with the motor out now, so I will have to lay on the damn ground to see whats up tomorrow.

Maybe I can install seat heaters! Anyone done that yet?

Geoff rocking nana.gif

Aaron Cox
when does it get a raby motor or a v8??? 3.6 varioram????

can we say nickies???? laugh.gif
GWN7
Here's a link to a kit..
MecGen
Congrattttzzz on the score smilie_pokal.gif
I love working on bugs and Wests. I even look at a couple Waterboxers, uukkk.
Parts for you bus are everywhere, cheap, lots of info and clubs everywhere. Good score, 914 is better wub.gif
WBR
Joe

rock_band.gif
Bleyseng
Hey, good link Bruce.

I do have a friend witha 2.4 six sitting in storage that could fit for cheap.... biggrin.gif

John Walker has a 2.7 in his. zoom, zoom

Geoff
rhodyguy
chairfall.gif chairfall.gif . you're killing me. so you're $350 lighter for a bus, that you've owned for 24 hours, with no heat, no power, and bad brakes.

k
anderssj
REALLY COOL!

A boat store may carry something to clean up the fiberglass.

. . . and while I'm saying "COOL," wife.gov is looking over my shoulder saying "don't get any ideas!"

Bleyseng
Got the heat to work today, re timed the engine, adjusted the clutch(it was slipping), and lubed the seat rails so they adjust. The seats were frozen set up for the 5'6" PO, so my knees were bangin the steering wheel.
Checked the discs in front which were supposed to be new, ha they are paper thin and the pads are gone.

Worked on the 914 engine too, breaking it down some more.
Even had time to go to Dimsum where I talked with the Boss about $$$$.

Geoff
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.