Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: oil temp
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RonnieJ
I drove to work this morning which is a twelve mile stop and go muliple stop lights drive and my oil temp was 200. By the way the drive takes about 25 minutes. Is that to high for a drive like that?
Last930
QUOTE(RonnieJ @ May 8 2015, 07:56 AM) *

I drove to work this morning which is a twelve mile stop and go muliple stop lights drive and my oil temp was 200. By the way the drive takes about 25 minutes. Is that to high for a drive like that?

The needle on my oil temp gauge barely moves off the peg on a drive like that; I'm not sure if something's not working or it just runs cool. Optimum oil temp should be around 180 in a perfect world. If your drive is stop and go in traffic I'd say 200 is fine.
mrholland2
QUOTE(RonnieJ @ May 8 2015, 05:56 AM) *

I would be concerned that the cooling flaps aren't opening to the cooling position ever. . . or the other guy that responded has cooling flaps that are always in the cooling position. . or both
Ferg
Sounds normal to me.
boxsterfan
200 is pretty normal. Assuming cooling flaps working properly, nothing blocking the fan, no crud/dirt on the stock oil cooler, fins on the heads are fairly clean, timing and valves are in spec then the only other thing to start looking at is the oil pressure relief valve.
Dave_Darling
212F is a perfectly fine temp. 180F is a bit on the cool side; it will take the water in your oil longer to outgas at that temp.

--DD
RonnieJ
Thanks all
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.