Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: starter motor issues
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rosenfe
on my 73 ive had problems with starter motor turning engine over.new starter motor,new ignition switch and good battery.when i turn key fuel pump goes on and when i turn further to engage starter it will sometimes engage and start right up and at other times i get a click or very small starter revolutions,as though its binding.engine feels good when running.previous starter did the same thing as does the new starter.
fly wheel is only one year old as previous one had stripped gears.

not sure what to do next.is this an engine binding issue,if so would engine run well.

ive tried to jump starter to get it to spin as well as pushed car in gear thinking it may be a flat spot,but this is a new starter and the old one gave same symptoms

any ideas,maybe a high torque starter?
SLITS
If it is a rebuilt starter, rebuilders use the cheap ass Chinese solenoid. Even if the starter is stated to be a "Robert Bosch Rebuilt", Bosch does not rebuild them in the US. They contract with another entity and trust them to meet their specifications av-943.gif .

Try jumping from the hot battery lead to the starter to the spade terminal. If the starter rotates normally, then it could be the solenoid and old wiring (high resistance). If it doesn't then you are back to a problem with the engine or a cheap ass rebuilt starter.
forrestkhaag
QUOTE(rosenfe @ May 8 2015, 08:20 AM) *

on my 73 ive had problems with starter motor turning engine over.new starter motor,new ignition switch and good battery.when i turn key fuel pump goes on and when i turn further to engage starter it will sometimes engage and start right up and at other times i get a click or very small starter revolutions,as though its binding.engine feels good when running.previous starter did the same thing as does the new starter.
fly wheel is only one year old as previous one had stripped gears.

not sure what to do next.is this an engine binding issue,if so would engine run well.

ive tried to jump starter to get it to spin as well as pushed car in gear thinking it may be a flat spot,but this is a new starter and the old one gave same symptoms

any ideas,maybe a high torque starter?

Bruce Stone advised me to install the starter shown in the attached pic / after my 1.7 exhibited much of the same lagging behavior and intermittent hot-start/no-start.

This starter solved all issues and the engine fires up with instantaneous response.
rosenfe
cant quite read what that starter number is?
Dave_Darling
SR17X. Don't let the parts guys at the Big Box Stores tell you different--their book is wrong.

--DD
rosenfe
any problem if i use a high torque starter
SLITS
I use high torque starters on all my 914s with a "hot start relay" setup.

The correct stater for the 914/911 is called a "VW automatic starter).
Bosch SR17X or Lester 16300
or
Bosch SR68X or Lester 16426***(911 starter = more expensive)

***SR17X is 0.8 HP and the SR68X is 1.5 HP
rosenfe
sr17x and sr68x are direct bolt in without need for shims etc
ripper911
I've gone through 3 of the rebuilt sr17x starters in the past year or so, are the sr68x's any better?

agree.gif
Just because it just came out of a box doesn't mean that it's a good starter.
rosenfe
one indy shop is telling me the bosch sr68x will not fit or work,is this true
Geezer914
Replaced my Bosch with a NAPA rebuilt starter, better warranty. No problems since and it was a lower price.
SLITS
The SR68x will fit. It is a larger case and heavier. Porsche switched back and forth on the SR17x and SR68x. It's just a difference between the HP of the starter.

SR17X - 1970 - 1976 914 & 1965-1971 911
SR68X - 1972 - 1989 911

I have run an SR68X on my /4 914s.

And if the shop is telling you it won't fit / work .... immediately find another shop 'cause they have no clue.
TheCabinetmaker
I just take my starters to a local rebuilder. 50 bucks, no problems. Haven't seen him in 4 years.
r_towle
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ May 8 2015, 06:16 PM) *

I just take my starters to a local rebuilder. 50 bucks, no problems. Haven't seen him in 4 years.

agree

Alternators too.

The available rebuilds out there have gone down hill too much for the risk for me...
rick 918-S
On my third orielly rebuild in two months. dry.gif need to get a Bosch unit
bdstone914

Bruce Stone advised me to install the starter shown in the attached pic / after my 1.7 exhibited much of the same lagging behavior and intermittent hot-start/no-start.

This starter solved all issues and the engine fires up with instantaneous response.
[/quote]

That one is the 911 starter. Have a shop rebuild your used starter or buy a new 911 starter. High torque starters work good also. Stock 914 starters bareky turn over a stock compression 914 engine.
Bruce
rosenfe
I put new starter with no change.if I jump starter terminals with key on starter clicks,but will not turn engine,after a few tries it finally engaged and started engine.engine sounds ok,just seems to be binding.

Any more ideas before I go to my mechanic?
TheCabinetmaker
The clicking is the solenoid engaging the starter, but the starter is not turning. Check voltage at the yellow wire on the starter while someone is operating they key. If voltage is good, remove the starter and bench test it with some jumper cables and a good battery. Like said before, even rebuilt starters out of the box can not work. Especially those units that are rebuilt in mexico. They just replace the broken parts with other used parts. A quality rebuilder will turn the armature, replace brushes, and make new bushings.
rosenfe
So it was a bad battery.a friend suggested I use 2 batteries together with jumper cables and give that a try,that did the trick,stupid me
Geezer914
NAPA Power Supreme 44-4257 rebuilt starter. Listed for 1973 Porsche 1.7L. $51.50 and has a LIMITED LIFETIME WARRANTY! Why spend $129 to $168 for a Bosch. I had a rebuilt SR17X and it lasted less than a year and cost $129. It's the last starter you will have to buy. Again LIMITED LIFETIME WARRANTY!!! WTF.gif
Dave_Darling
Typically those "LIMITED LIFETIME WARRANTY" parts are not worth it. Because they're usually rebuilt by super cheap places, under the assumption that you'll replace them a couple of times and then give up--the "rebuilds" have to be cheap enough to make money operating that way. Usually the hassle of R&Ring the part is enough that most people will give up after the second or third time the cheap part lets go.

This is most especially true for alternators.

Unfortunately, some of the Bosch rebuilds appear to be of similar quality... sad.gif

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.