Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rubber Seal Removal / engine bay
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
forrestkhaag
Is there a trick to removal (in tact) of the rubber seal around the engine tin in the engine bay? My vehicle has no rust issues and the rubber is pliable but stuck firmly in the channel or in its fitted position. I would like to reuse these pieces once my engine bay is detailed prior to the new mill bing inserted. Any thoughts? beerchug.gif

thanks
type47
finesse with pulling the seals out, dish washing soap or glycerin for lubrication, wood or plastic tool to help encourage the seal to come out, maybe lever the top of the seal out of the "C" shaped channel then the bottom, patience ....
r_towle
start at the front corner, start pealing it back, it will be fine.

Rich
Mikey914
Putting a new one back in is even more fun.
JamesM
QUOTE(forrestkhaag @ May 8 2015, 07:56 AM) *

Is there a trick to removal (in tact) of the rubber seal around the engine tin in the engine bay? My vehicle has no rust issues and the rubber is pliable but stuck firmly in the channel or in its fitted position. I would like to reuse these pieces once my engine bay is detailed prior to the new mill bing inserted. Any thoughts? beerchug.gif

thanks

If the rubber is fresh just pull. If its old it will tear, get new rubber.
colingreene
Its really not that hard.
forrestkhaag
QUOTE(colingreene @ May 9 2015, 06:58 PM) *

unless they are really hard...........

three out of four came out with the help of this thread's info / the fourth one ( driver's side) ripped mid stream.......... see: WTB Driver's side engine tin seal.... sheeplove.gif mad.gif
euro911
I did it the hard way … by bending open the channel lips a bit (and lots of WD-40). They old ones were a little hard so I just bought new ones from 914rubber.
Mikey914
QUOTE(forrestkhaag @ May 11 2015, 10:22 AM) *

three out of four came out with the help of this thread's info / the fourth one ( driver's side) ripped mid stream.......... see: WTB Driver's side engine tin seal.... sheeplove.gif mad.gif

If they are that hard, they are old and only a matter of time before they get brittle. Heat helps that along nicely.

I have a complete set for not muck more that the single seal other sell.

http://shop.914rubber.com/914-Engine-seal-...l-4-914ESS4.htm

Being softer will make install easier too. biggrin.gif
PanelBilly
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ May 11 2015, 01:44 PM) *

QUOTE(forrestkhaag @ May 11 2015, 10:22 AM) *

If they are that hard, they are old and only a matter of time before they get brittle. Heat helps that along nicely.

I have a complete set for not muck more that the single seal other sell.

http://shop.914rubber.com/914-Engine-seal-...l-4-914ESS4.htm

Being softer will make install easier too. biggrin.gif

I have a difficult time installing it when its soft
euro911
rolleyes.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.