Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Too Much Oil?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
marc_hines
I changed to oil in my '75 2.0 teener just before garageing it for the winter.

Today I started it up and drove around the block. Crawled, more like. After Joe (my 911 neighbor who has has a few 914's also) and I looked at what was up, I realised that I have at *least* a quart to much oil in the engine.

Normally, I have Micheal Jordan of Stuttgart Automotive do all my engine work, but I figured I could do an oil change myself just fine. The change - yes. The refill, well, that appears to be another story.

Anyway - has anyone else ever done this? What is the best way to recover from it (other than have it towed it to Stuttgart Automotive and have them fix my mess, which I'll do if I can't correct this myself).

Any one else been here before?

Marc...
rhcb914
I would just put the drain pan back under the car, remove the oil drain plug and count to 5. Put the plug back in and check the level. It's ok to over fill the engines a little. I usually go 4 quarts even and have not had any problems. Stock capacity is 3.5 liters about 3.7 quarts.
seanery
i agree, just dump some and you should be ok.
redshift
I dump 4 in, as per Darling Dave's instruction so long ago.

Oh... was winter oil too huh.... so, you crank the car, run it up to warm, and dump all that, and start over.

Change it again!

You actually fill the filter part way, before mounting it too.

M
Allan
agree.gif Just change the oil again - done. Engine will like you better as well.
DJsRepS
Dump the oil filter 3 times.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.