Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Adjusting Valves
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Allan
I bought a used impeller fan and used the Pelican article on marking the 27 degree mark. I am trying to adjust my valves and noticed that there is a 0 mark on the fan with a notch (TDC?) about 2 inches away to the left if you looking from the rear on the car forward, which I originally thought was the TDC mark. I never read anything about a 0 on the fan. Is it TDC or is the notch?

Thanks
redshift
Hold on... back up... go re-read the article on the placement of the mark.

I think you are looking at the notch (0_tdc) and the mark (27 btdc) and yes, it's around 2 inches apart.

But, go re-read the article, it describes exactly what you are looking at. and my drugged out mind can't get the direction worked out.... yes, I must be right... maybe.

-screams bloody infection-

M

Allan
I didn't see anything in the article about a 0 actually punched into the fan? I'll re-read it.
redshift
PP seems dead....

OH MY GOD I HOPE THEY DON'T INVADE! laugh.gif

M
Allan
Okay, can't find the 0 in the Pelican article so I'm gonna button it up.
redshift
Figure 8 shows the notch as TDC cyl 1, when the distrib notch lines up.

Carry on...

M
Allan
Okay so we are talking about the notch. I can't find an 0 anywhere so I'm going with the notch.

Can I pet you fur?
r_towle
Notch should be TDC...

Measure from there to make the 27 degree mark.

Double check with the distributor cap off and making sure tha rotor lines up with the notch in the distributor, under where the cap sits.
Allan
QUOTE (r_towle @ Feb 19 2005, 05:02 PM)
Notch should be TDC...

Measure from there to make the 27 degree mark.

Double check with the distributor cap off and making sure tha rotor lines up with the notch in the distributor, under where the cap sits.

Done. Your gonna be there right? wink.gif
kenporacer
notch is tdc

E
DJsRepS
There are only 4 lobes on the whole camshaft. Screw the flywheel mark TDC all that crap. Make life easy and pull both covers. Your looking at 4 valves pr head one lobe pr valve. Start at one end of the motor or the other d/n matter. All exaust valves at both ends. If you turn the motor so one exaust is open left bank go straight across to the right bank and set that exaust valve. Then turn motor till the one you just set is open and the then the one straight across left bank ready to set. Only 4 lobes on the cam 2 exust and 2 intake when the lobe is opening a valve then adj the oppsite valve on that lobe.
Dave_Darling
The '0' mark is 0 degrees--TDC. Or at least is somewhat close. Not all fans are marked that way, but AFAIK all of the ones that have a 0 punched into the edge of the fan have it at TDC.

--DD
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (DJsRepS @ Mar 15 2005, 05:08 AM)
There are only 4 lobes on the whole camshaft. Screw the flywheel mark TDC all that crap. Make life easy and pull both covers. Your looking at 4 valves pr head one lobe pr valve. Start at one end of the motor or the other d/n matter. All exaust valves at both ends. If you turn the motor so one exaust is open left bank go straight across to the right bank and set that exaust valve. Then turn motor till the one you just set is open and the then the one straight across left bank ready to set. Only 4 lobes on the cam 2 exust and 2 intake when the lobe is opening a valve then adj the oppsite valve on that lobe.

agree.gif givemebeer.gif that is how i do it
dmenche914
i have ran into fans with different markings, maybe different years of 914's, or maybe fan from a VW Bus???
At anyrate the Haynes book has a nice drawing of the fan timing marks, just keep in mind the drawing is backwards if you are behind the engine looking over the the top while it is in the car. drawing is right on if you were looking directly at the front of the fan from the firewall
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.