Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine lid
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ian Stott
Before I tackle the engine lid I thought I would check to see if there are any pitfalls I don't know about. Thx

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
stugray
You need a helper if you like your paint job.

Loosen one bolt on each side of the lid in the hinge, bolt is inserted upwards (10mm?)?
Have helper hold opposite side and remove both bolts and lift out.
The springs come with the lid/hinges.

Be careful when you re-install it.
If you get it misaligned and slam it shut, you could take a chunk out of your trunk lid.
Ian Stott
I'm a bit concerned about reinstalling it as well, if not lined up properly and won't open after you close it how do you get it open??

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
TheCabinetmaker
There's only a few mm adjustment and thats only fore and aft. Push it all the way forward then tighten bolts. Push it down but not latched and see how it lines up. I do them by myself. Easy. It only takes a small stout screwdriver to release the latch between the engine lid and trunk lid.
Hank914
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ May 9 2015, 04:25 PM) *

There's only a few mm adjustment and thats only fore and aft. Push it all the way forward then tighten bolts. Push it down but not latched and see how it lines up. I do them by myself. Easy. It only takes a small stout screwdriver to release the latch between the engine lid and trunk lid.

agree.gif

Yep, a small screwdriver. Or you could do what I did.... Over fill your tires to 38-40 psi, and drive over a road that has not been paved in a few years (like any road other than brand new pavement), and it'll pop open in less than a mile.
boxstr
If you want you can slot the hinges, to allow you to loosen the 10 mm bolts, but not remove completely, and slide the hood on and off. If you are putting it back on you can then tighten the 10 mm bolts and it will stay in place.
Craig at CAMP
Cuda911
I've found it relatively easy to do by myself... I put a thick towel on the trunk lid to protect it. But, I end up cursing trying to get the bolts back in, which are upside down where I can't see the holes. Anyone got any tips there to make it easier?
TheCabinetmaker
Do what Craig said.
AndyB
agree.gif Mine are slotted as well, this in MHO makes it a one person job. I rarely take the bolts out all the way now. Mine has been like this for years without any issues.

Andy
Mblizzard
Slotted saves you a lot of time.

Click to view attachment
forrestkhaag
QUOTE(Mblizzard @ May 10 2015, 04:35 AM) *

Slotted saves you a lot of time.

Click to view attachment

Agreed as to slots / Also, if you replace the bolts with metric cap screws, the rt-angle hex-tool has a better chance of "hitting" the bolt head as you are holding the lid with your other hand.

I have a very curvy, thin and flexible garage assistant that helps me every time with this task as well (see pix). She hangs upside down from my carport ceiling beam and grabs the lid at the opposite end already loosened / then loosen the side you are out and the lid does not whack your trunk or other painted surfaces.

beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.