Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Member here -- Long held question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
HokeySon
I recently joined this site. Now I can ask the one 914 question that has plagued me for years if not decades: Why do some racers cut the windshield off? There cannot be much weight savings there. So, can someone let me in on the secret or do I have to take a blood oath or something first? thanks.
Racing916
QUOTE(HokeySon @ May 9 2015, 04:03 PM) *

I recently joined this site. Now I can ask the one 914 question that has plagued me for years if not decades: Why do some racers cut the windshield off? There cannot be much weight savings there. So, can someone let me in on the secret or do I have to take a blood oath or something first? thanks.

Lighter is faster. I'm guessing 50 lbs that is high in the air. When you are in a class that is power to weight every little bit matters.
brant
Weight and wind resistance.
But trade offs include safety for track driving

I've seen competing cars lose wheels and bounce under race conditions.
Once had a bolt hit my glass windshield and puncture it (but not make it through) in a club race at 115ish.

About 6-8 teener race cars were built in CO with cut roofs and sloped windshields as a compromise and aero-aid in the 90's

It's some weight but maybe only 20lbs if everything else is done (light roof/lexan/etc)
We still got very light with out cutting it off. Even with the -6

(How ever I own a scca legal smoked screen i considered using.)
HokeySon
Thanks guys. I thought it would have to be a more complicated reason.. But, once again, the obvious answer was the right answer.
914itis
QUOTE(HokeySon @ May 9 2015, 08:03 PM) *

No blood oath here. Just rust /jack stand oath.
J P Stein
OK, so I was a weight losing fanatic.
Converted my 901 to a 2 speed ( W/no reverse).....lost about 20 lbs. A guy don't need all them gears for AX. When ya get serious about weight loss, it's tough to stop.

1706lbs with a 2.7L 6 . I had to balast up to make XP.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.