Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Troubleshooting question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Last930
My '73 2.0 idles beautifully when cold - right at 950-1,000 rpm. Once hot however it idles way to fast - around 2,000-2500 rpm. It runs great other than that. Any suggestions on troubleshooting?
r_towle
Clean your distributor advance plates.
brant
As a test. Unplug one of the large decel valve hoses. Cap it with your finger and see if your decel is bad
toon1
It could be the dizzy( as mentioned)

. It can also be an air leak. Usually the air leak comes from the phenolic spacer between the intake runners and the head.

The way you check is to let the car cool, fire it up and spray carb. Cleaner in that area. If the idle rises after you spray, thats where your leak is.

Spray sparingly so you dont saturate the area .

More than likely the spacer is cracked or the gaskets need to be replaced. Easy job.

r_towle
It idles high when hot.....
Air leaks hot and cold....

brant
QUOTE(r_towle @ May 9 2015, 08:31 PM) *

It idles high when hot.....
Air leaks hot and cold....

Last month on my road trip. My decel failed like this. It worked when cold and even for 20 miles. But hot highway driving caused a high idle after 30 minutes. Rust, diaphragm, heat...
Last930
QUOTE(r_towle @ May 9 2015, 09:22 PM) *

Clean your distributor advance plates.

Distributor was just out ; everything is in good shape there. I'll try testing the decel valve tomorrow.
boxsterfan
Auxilliary Air Regulator sounds stuck open. That also sounds like too low of an idle for a cold start.

Just unplug the AAR hose from the intake plenum and block off the hose with your thumb. If the idle drops, you need a new AAR. They don't make them new anymore, but you can find a good used one here.
Last930
QUOTE(boxsterfan @ May 10 2015, 12:15 AM) *

Auxilliary Air Regulator sounds stuck open. That also sounds like too low of an idle for a cold start.

Just unplug the AAR hose from the intake plenum and block off the hose with your thumb. If the idle drops, you need a new AAR. They don't make them new anymore, but you can find a good used one here.

Can someone direct me to a picture of these parts? My manual doesn't have a clear photo of the decel and aar.

Thanks,
Dave
somd914
Decel valve is on passengers side near the Manifold Pressure Sensor (MPS) towards the wheel arch

Click to view attachment

AAR is on front side of intake plenum more towards driver's side

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Not my photos BTW...

Last930
Warmed the car up well and took it for a 10-15 mile ride; by the time I got home it was idling perfectly stable at 900-1000 rpm. Intermittent glitches like this drive me nuts; I guess I'll drive it as is until the problem crops up continually.

Thanks for all the knowledge and suggestions!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.