Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Can poorly adjusted valves cause higher engine temps?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
moneysmarts
Just adjusted the valves on my '74 2.0 FI
Now oil temp gauge is creeping toward the red zone.
I'm never certain how much drag is correct on the feeler gauge, but I think i'm pretty close to .006 intake and .008exhaust. It's not the first time I've done it, but I never feel like I'm 100% dead nuts when I finish.
Could a little deviation result in a hotter engine?
Thanks

Ferg
How was it running temp wise before?
moneysmarts
QUOTE(Ferg @ May 11 2015, 10:11 AM) *

How was it running temp wise before?

Cooler. But I only have the dash gauge, so I can quantify the degrees.
Middle of the gauge, now getting close to the red.
Ferg
I'd start with the basics... timing, dwell ect.

Anything getting close to the red on a "small red zone" gauge is to hot. IIRC needle at the begining of the "m" on the TEMP is 220ish, if it's on the other side of the M getting close to the "P" that's 240-50 ish. So yes, to warm.

If it has been rock steady before, retrace your steps after confirming timing ect.

It's been my experience that nearly all stock 2.0s will run 230 on highway or summer, without a cooler. Buy a lazer temp gauge, it's your best friend unless you have been living in blissful ignorance of how hot the car really runs. Then those lazer pointers are evil and will make u spend money on oil coolers.
moneysmarts
For what it's worth, this is kind of where it's running after 30-40 minutes.
I have an MSD ignition, so timing is pretty simple.
I will recheck it.
Presuming it's ok, are you suggesting that valves would not be suspected and I should look elsewhere?
Click to view attachment
Ferg
I was thinking the small center stack gauge, so my numbers likely not correct for that combo gauge. All the more reason to buy a cheap IR thermometer

euro911
If your valves are adjusted too tight, they don't seat long enough to dissipate the heat. Make sure you're providing enough clearance - and adjusting them stone-cold.
r_towle
Yes, do it again
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.