Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bay Area CA Lunch For Feb.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
McMark
We had talked about having a club lunch at the new shop, but it's not going to be possible this month. How about something in the Oakland area? I haven't been to any of these places, but here are a couple of possibilities:

Genova's Phone: 652-7401
5095 Telegraph

I've been to the Genova's in Napa and they make great sandwiches.

Barney's Gourmet Hamburger
4162 Piedmont Ave. Oakland
510-655-7180

5819 College Ave. Oakland
510-601-0444

http://www.barneysrestaurant.com/locations.html
The web page above shows pictures, which look like a big enough place.

Just trying to start a dialog here. Get something started. wink.gif
anthony
How about a breakfast around Oakland?
Trekkor
Spenger's Seafood Grotto in Berkeley is one of my favorites.

Big parking lot, too. We could set up an a/x course confused24.gif

KT
chunger
I live right next to Spengers but have never gone. . . smilie_pokal.gif

so lunch and autocross? laugh.gif
McMark
Spengers might be good. What does the South Bay contingent say?

Last time we decided that most people like the Lunch format so that if the get together is in Mountain View, people like me (up in Napa) don't have to get up at 6 am or earlier just to come play.
14Maschine
I speak for the east bay'rs, when I say, "Oakland is much closer then Mtn. View". biggrin.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE (anthony @ Feb 19 2005, 10:49 PM)
How about a breakfast around Oakland?

hey, we could crash the 356 breakfast at EASY and eat all their doughnuts ...

i live in oakland and i know a couple of good breakfast/lunch places, but none of them has decent parking nearby ...

actually, there's one place right around where EASY is that has really good food. and there's lots of parking in front of pixar (on a sat. at least).

http://www.rudyscantfailcafe.com/

well, if we could get a headcount upfront, i could make reservations as they're pretty booked on saturdays ...

sounds like a gud idea?
chowtime.gif Andy
anthony
Count me in! We'll see if anyone from San Jose can drive their car more than 5 miles. :-)

Last time we decided that most people like the Lunch format so that if the get together is in Mountain View,

I thought that was a one time shot to accomodate Britain's wishes. Personally I like the breakfast format so that you're done by 11am and have the rest of the day to get stuff done. I think we should get back to a rotating schedule of breakfasts that was proposed last year but not well implemented We could do a couple north bay, a couple on the penninsula, a couple in the east bay, a few in the south bay, and the rest smack dab in the center of the bay area (oakland/emeryville).

I also like the coffee and donuts format. Shooting the shit, talking and looking at cars with some coffee, donuts, or a McMuffin is a nice change of pace.

We could also co-ordinate breakfasts or lunches around other events (like the Part's Heaven swap for example).

people like me (up in Napa) don't have to get up at 6 am or earlier just to come play.

Hey, I only live 20/25 minutes up the road from Napa and I've made it to at least 20 breakfasts over the last few years. I take it that you are not a morning person.

McMark
Sounds good Andy. I'm in.

It's not that I'm not a morning person, it's that I'm up late (between 12 & 2 usually) working most nights and getting up at 8 is fine, but getting up at 6 really cuts down on the few hours I get to sleep. If I was able to go to bed at 10 pm every night I'd come to every event.

But it's not about me, what's everyone else say? Brunch @ 10 or 10:30 is maybe a good compromise?
ChrisReale
If I get off my ass and swap out a leaky injector hose, Im there... beerchug.gif
JeffBowlsby
I hear 'ya Anthony...

If its in the A.M. I will plan to attend...cuz I have afternoon committments already.

There is merit to all the different ideas posted above...rotating sites, rotating times, teaming up with other groups...what we really need is someone to coordinate them and plan out a schedule several months in advance so its not 'decision by committee'.

I like the idea of EASYs, I need a few parts and that would make it a better trip.
Otmar
It's 1:23 PM and I just stumbled out of bed.
You can proabably guess that my vote is for lunch. biggrin.gif
PatW
Crashing the 356 breakfast at EASY sounds like fun. Tide house had a lot more people that showed up. I remember Rick's Sports Bar in San Leandro use to serve a buffet breakfast. Maybe they still do?. There was plenty of parking there last time I was up there while watching the Daytona 200 motorcycle race.
anthony
Looks good!

http://www.rickys.com/menu/breakfast.cfm

SirAndy
alright, someone has to make up their mind on the venue location ...

NOW

biggrin.gif Andy
ppickerell
I think Spengers works because:
1. Excellent Bloody Marys
2. Decent food
3. Large Parking lot
4. Crash EZ afterward
5. Ability to handle large groups
PatW
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Feb 20 2005, 03:39 PM)
alright, someone has to make up their mind on the venue location ...

NOW

biggrin.gif Andy

You or Anthony call it.. biggrin.gif
neo914-6
smilie_pokal.gif EASY, spank.gif 356, chowtime.gif
jimtab
But, WHAT DAY?
McMark
Spengers, Feb 26. 11 am (that's when they open). I'll call tomorrow and make sure there won't be a problem.
Trekkor
I *always* order the popcorn shrimp and a bowl of New England clam chowder. With a Black and Tan , of course. beer3.gif

Malt vinegar. wink.gif

On my chowder I squeeze lemon and shake Tobasco with black pepper...unstirred. chowtime.gif

KT
Mueller
Is this still on???

mightyohm
Spengers? I'm scared of that place but I think I've been there before. I am scared of any place that has "Fish Grotto" in the name. Sounds fried...

Taking a 914 to a fish grotto? Will it rust by association?

Despite all of this I might be able to make it.

PS. Can't Fail Cafe is awesome (thanks for introducing me to it Andy) but SLAMMED on the weekends around lunch time.
McMark
It's on! I'm there.
ppickerell
Spengers prior to remodel and takeover by McCormick and Kuleto was a typical fried everything place but has been extensively remodeled and most of the fish is very fresh. The old lady still lives upstairs and parks her bedecked cadillac on the side of the building.
Drive over afterwards enmasse to the Berkely Marina for group shots with a bay background, or better yet run up Skyline and down to Chabot. I am full of.....ideas.
ppickerell
Brad's buying. smilie_pokal.gif
ppickerell
QUOTE (trekkor @ Feb 20 2005, 09:53 PM)
I *always* order the popcorn shrimp and a bowl of New England clam chowder. With a Black and Tan , of course. beer3.gif

Malt vinegar. wink.gif

On my chowder I squeeze lemon and shake Tobasco with black pepper...unstirred. chowtime.gif

KT

C'mon trekkor, don't be the rainman. Mix it up and live a little. Order some Blue Balled sea bass or something. Squid parts maybe.
ppickerell
Spengers has the best oyster testicle soup I have aver had the pleasure of eating. I hear it's a bitch to prepare though.
carreraguy
I'm reasonably sure my San Jose car can go that far. Whats the address for Spengers? Is 11am the time?
carreraguy
Bump
McMark
1919 Fourth St.
Berkeley, CA
510-845-7771
by Fourth St.
Shopping District

Cross Street
University

Maybe somebody can put up a MapQuest map. wink.gif
carreraguy
Thanks Mark!

I hate to be anal about this but, is the time still 11am? I'd hate to drive "all that way" to find out it was a breakfast!

Map at:

http://maps.yahoo.com/maps_result?ed=cPbGv...ew=1&name=&qty=

chunger
Don't think they open 'til 11. . . smilie_pokal.gif
Mueller
icon_bump.gif

just a reminder....see you guys there.... beer.gif
McMark
I'm leaving now...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.