Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Looking for a old school 914 2.0 mechanic south of Boston
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
andrewcconti
My new to me completely rebuilt 2.0 with D-Jet starts fine and at highway speeds stumbles / bucks at 3000 - 4000 rpm, once warm it backfires and will not hold idle, and god forbid the car stalls it will not restart when hot.

All this said I am looking for a 914 expert south of Boston. There was a guy named Erik? in the wareham area but I lost his contact information. I am open to any and all recommended shops south of Boston, or in Rhode Island.

Thanks in advance!

Andrew
ChrisFoley
BTW, its D-Jet in a 912E.
r_towle
Go to Chris foley at tangerine racing
He only does these cars, just use him so you are satisfied.
He is in Hartford ct. Ed, his diagnostic genius, will make your car purr.

If it's too far, contact dick shine at shine racing, but he may no longer do our cars.
rhodyguy
Too bad you don't have the original FI.
GregAmy
Um, yeah. See post #2. And he's actually in Manchester CT, just off I-84, so you don't even have to go to/through Hartford to get there. Hour-and-a-half max from downtown Boston (without traffic)?

And by the way, I have a complete 2L FI system that Chris removed from my race car, should you decide you want it.
74ravenna
www.autobahnperformance.com/

If you don't mind a ride to Peabody.
They have a mechanic that has been working on these since they were new and still owns a 74 1.8.

See Autobahn Performance's past and present projects. Step by step ... Centennial Park, Peabody, MA 01960 | (978) 531-0808 - service | (978) 535-0636 - parts

18 Google reviews

· Write a review · Google+ page

3 1st Ave, Peabody, MA 01960
(978) 531-0808
ChrisFoley
Last fall we replaced the broken carbed engine with a used 914 fuel injected 2056 engine sourced by the owner.
Being d-jet, we had quite a bit of custom work to make it run in the 912E.

At the bottom of my invoice I wrote,
"Recommendations: Install Oil Temp and Pressure Gauges; Tune Fuel Injection with Air Fuel Meter; Monitor Injection operation for possible harness flaws."
Specifically, I told Andrew that his harness was in poor condition and a custom Bowlsby harness should be made from his djet wiring harness which we modified for the 912E engine bay.

It ran well before it was picked up, but I didn't spend much time tuning. The performance degraded on the way home.
I told Andrew to continue home as long as the car was drivable - since the work had gone well over his original budget, and winter weather was fast approaching.
Something probably came undone or failed after it left here.
There are a number of possibilities.

I spoke with Erik Madsen, who lives not too far from the car, and did some work on it once before. He says he'll take a look to see if something obvious went awry but he isn't doing work like that in general these days.
AndyB
QUOTE(andrewcconti @ May 11 2015, 08:05 PM) *

My new to me completely rebuilt 2.0 with D-Jet starts fine and at highway speeds stumbles / bucks at 3000 - 4000 rpm, once warm it backfires and will not hold idle, and god forbid the car stalls it will not restart when hot.

All this said I am looking for a 914 expert south of Boston. There was a guy named Erik? in the wareham area but I lost his contact information. I am open to any and all recommended shops south of Boston, or in Rhode Island.

Thanks in advance!

Andrew

Out of curiosity, did you take it back to the shop that installed it. Just MHO.
TheCabinetmaker
Andy, did you read the post above yours
GregAmy
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ May 12 2015, 01:55 PM) *

Last fall we replaced the broken carbed engine with a used 914 fuel injected 2056 engine sourced by the owner.

Ah. Was this the gentlemen I met one Saturday afternoon when he picked it up? Car looks nice...
JeffBowlsby
I built a D-Jet harness for a 912E several years ago. Worked great. Here is the engine bay with the D-jet, before my harness went in.

PS sound like a TPS board is needed re: the bucking issue. Simple fix and the first thing I would look at.
AndyB
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ May 12 2015, 08:33 PM) *

Andy, did you read the post above yours

Curt,

Yes I did. However apparently someone was in a rush and over budget. Happens to me all the time. Perhaps he should go to a 912 forum instead of this one. FYI, I have never had an issue at CFR. If I was in this persons shoes but I am not because I have a 914 not a 912 I would still take it back and let them fix it. I see the OP with one post who didn't tell the whole story just by their heading. Personally I thought it was a 914. But again this is my own personal opinion. The original poster never responded to Racer Chris. This is just bad form. But hey rumor has it that engine hasn't been very reliable to begin with but again that's just me. How's your car Curt?

Andy
ejm
As Chris said the car ran fine when it left Manchester. I'm 99% certain it's an engine that was built by someone here. If so, there's a thread about his first road trip where he had problems with stalling when hot and not restarting which was attributed to vapor lock or a fuel pump problem. At one point he thought the TPS needed adjustment and found that whacking the MPS sometimes made it run better. I think none of this was really resolved before pulling the engine for a conversion project. Yes, it's a freshly rebuilt engine but most of the fuel injection is 40 years old, none of it is new and some of it is worn and tired.

In any case since the FI harness is falling apart and it needed a few mods to make it work in a 912 engine bay and interface with the L-jet relay I would remove it and send it to Bowlsby to replicate. A new TPS board can't hurt, testing the MPS and the CHT hot and cold is probably a good idea. Considering the car sat non-op for some time there's the possibility of sludge or rust in the fuel tank so a new fuel filter would be smart. Chances are it will take more than a single part or adjustment to achieve optimum performance. Just my .02 cents not including taxes, fees and interest.
AndyB
QUOTE(ejm @ May 14 2015, 11:07 PM) *

As Chris said the car ran fine when it left Manchester. I'm 99% certain it's an engine that was built by someone here. If so, there's a thread about his first road trip where he had problems with stalling when hot and not restarting which was attributed to vapor lock or a fuel pump problem. At one point he thought the TPS needed adjustment and found that whacking the MPS sometimes made it run better. I think none of this was really resolved before pulling the engine for a conversion project. Yes, it's a freshly rebuilt engine but most of the fuel injection is 40 years old, none of it is new and some of it is worn and tired.

In any case since the FI harness is falling apart and it needed a few mods to make it work in a 912 engine bay and interface with the L-jet relay I would remove it and send it to Bowlsby to replicate. A new TPS board can't hurt, testing the MPS and the CHT hot and cold is probably a good idea. Considering the car sat non-op for some time there's the possibility of sludge or rust in the fuel tank so a new fuel filter would be smart. Chances are it will take more than a single part or adjustment to achieve optimum performance. Just my .02 cents not including taxes, fees and interest.

Spoken by a real old school 914 guy south of Boston.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.