Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Distributor question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tom73
Help out a newbe here. I keep seeing references to an "009" and an "094" distributor.

What is the differences and what was used when? I have a '71 1.7, so which should be on it? Are they interchangable, or ???

tom...
914ghost
umm...I think the 094 is a 009 that has been chromed.
Honestly, they have a totally different number just because they're chrome!
Both are pretty crappy. The chrome one is probably worse. ohmy.gif

Bob O
lapuwali
The 009 is something you don't want, just pretend it doesn't exist. It's a crappy distributor on any car.

If you're still running FI on your 1.7, then the only distributor you can run is the stock one. Well, OK, that's not strictly true, there are a few other D-Jet distributors for Type 3s and whatnot, but you're not going to find one that's better than the stock unit.

If you're running carbs, use a Mallory, preferably a Unilite.

Mark Henry
QUOTE (914ghost @ Feb 20 2005, 02:47 AM)
umm...I think the 094 is a 009 that has been chromed.
Honestly, they have a totally different number just because they're chrome!
Both are pretty crappy. The chrome one is probably worse. ohmy.gif

Bob O

It is worse.

They are somewhat OK dizzy's on type 1 engines, not type 4
MecGen
Hey
I don't understand... i've been running a 009 for 12 years without a problem. Maybe I am the lucky one. What goes wrong with these dizzys? what symptoms do they get ?
maybe I should be looking into a Mall, is it pricey ?
Maybe I'll jump over to the GPR site and look around.
If someone can clearify the questions please
Sorry for the highjack but I thought you asked a good question
WBR
Joe

party.gif
davep
The 009 was designed for an industrial engine that runs at a single rpm, not a sports car. The advance curve is all wrong. Just because it fits does not mean it should be used.
Tom73
QUOTE (davep @ Feb 20 2005, 06:52 AM)
The 009 was designed for an industrial engine that runs at a single rpm, not a sports car. The advance curve is all wrong. Just because it fits does not mean it should be used.

What engines was the 009 used on?
root
This thread is great, It's 7AM PT and you guys are discussing dizzy's screwy.gif
Can I join in...

Where is the 009 and 094 number located on dizzy's?

I just went to the garage to check out the one I pulled from a '72 1.7L.
The numbers characters on the side of the dizzy are :

JFUDRX 4 <---
0 231 174 001
039 905 205 F

The last row of characters is the part #, 'wonder what the 'F' means??

What I have noticed is that pre '75's were equipped with a
double action vacumm advance.
Everything after '75 have single action vacuum.

Reallly would like a good source of info 'bout dizzy's, I'm sure it's out there somewhere.. idea.gif idea.gif
MecGen
I am scared to look for a new dizzy out there......
I bet you I would end up with a DIS system....
I am an early bird surfer.....
WBR
Joe

beerchug.gif

SLITS
With the 039 tag, it is a 2 L desigination.

The first number series is the BOSCH OE (manufacturer).

The second number series is the VW/Porsche Part Number.

The "F" desiginates a specific application within the range of cars the part was used on...a revision of the original part.

Most people refer to the dizzy by the last three digits. That is erronous as the numbers do change for an application (Bosch number).

Within the range of dizzys you are concerned with, most of the changes will be the mechanical advance curve that is built in. The addition of a vacuum advance module is more for fuel economy and/or emissions control.

The advance (rate and total) can be changed to fit your application, but it requires a distributor machine and the parts (springs) to do it.
914ghost
The 009 will work, meaning your car will start and drive down the street...but boy would it be an eye opener if you stuck a tight 050 in there or a Mallory.
Hard to describe the difference, but it 'opens' the engine up. My description is: faster response in all gears, slight increase in top end in all gears, smoother idle and better mileage.
Your experience may vary depending on what your engine is set up like. But you'll ALWAYS see an improvement over a 009. Thats why people are paying $150 + for them these days.
Bob O
SGB
I had an 009 and an 050 in my car (back and forth) with permatune for 15 years. Recently bought the Mallory and I do really like it. Here is what I have concluded-
-most (all?) 009 dizzys are cheaply made in Brazil
-some (most?) 050 dizzys are also cheaply made, except really old ones which were made in Germany.
-Neither have a desirable advance curve for a type IV (either incorect advance rate in an 009 or incorrect maximum allowable advance in an 050). Thats why the Mallory is good
-The firing accuracy is imprecise with the Bosch units. I dunno if it is manufactoring tolerences (probably) or just age & wear.
-It is possible to revise the curves on Bosch dizzys if you know how and have the right tools.
The answer is mostly a question of $. If you are like me, I try to fix the broken things before I improve the working things. biggrin.gif
MecGen
[/QUOTE]

Ahmen to that
I hope Quote function worked

"If you are like me, I try to fix the broken things before I improve the working things. "

WBR
Joe
Mall dizzy not too high priced tho, found it only in bug sites, don't know if they are the same for type four ?

beerchug.gif

root
[QUOTE][QUOTE]The "F" desiginates a specific application within the range of cars the part was used on...a revision of the original part.[/QUOTE]

Great- Thanks for the info on the 'F' in the part number.
You jogged my memory now I remember what that extra letter
is for ....

I found a 311 905 205L dizzy spark advance diagram in a fuel injection manual I have.
I'll post it tomorrow when I get to work, if anybody is interested.
I have to scan it and my scanner is at work!

Got to go to Home Depot with the wife, spend some $ for house refurb.....
There goes my Sunday! headbang.gif
root
We're obviously a bunch of ignorant newbies, can't even post a quote! headbang.gif
root
We're obviously a bunch of ignorant newbies, can't even post a quote! headbang.gif
root
YEA! I POSTED A QUOTE! aktion035.gif
Bleyseng
Even with carbs the stock oem FI dizzys are better than the 009 centrifical dizzys. They have a small 17 degree max advance where the stockers have upto 32 degrees of advance. Makes for more smoother power!

Joe, toss it in the ocean and install another unit and see the difference.

Geoff
MecGen
Thanx
Can someone toss me a link to a tryed dizzy. I only found them in type1 stuff
Thanx again

f***k, how do you add quote ?
WBR
Joe

ar15.gif
Mark Henry
I will be stocking a mallory unilite shortly (2-4 weeks) when my e-store goes on-line. Out of province will have no PST.

Get the std unilite (no vac) and Grey/Grey springs.

If you need one right now try.

http://www.aircooledtechnology.com/store/h...ome.php?cat=306

aircooled.net
MecGen
ohmy.gif
Thats pricey, why are type 1 goes for 129$ at CB.
Besides the reworked advance whats the diff?
I saw in the forum some guy that EFI+turbo for 650$ not sure this came with an ignition system, drop the price he payed for the turbo and exhaust, I'm thinking of waiting it out and go that route. We'll hook up again for sure when your store is open.
aktion035.gif
WBR
Joe

drunk.gif
Aaron Cox
centuryperformance has the dizzys 10 bucks cheaper

www.centuryperformance.com
Bleyseng
Go to your flaps and order one from A1
Cardone. When it comes make sure its a 211 or 039 number not the 311 ones. Last time I paid $45

Geoff
Mark Henry
QUOTE (JoeSpark @ Feb 20 2005, 02:22 PM)
ohmy.gif
Thats pricey, why are type 1 goes for 129$ at CB.
Besides the reworked advance whats the diff?
I saw in the forum some guy that EFI+turbo for 650$ not sure this came with an ignition system, drop the price he payed for the turbo and exhaust, I'm thinking of waiting it out and go that route. We'll hook up again for sure when your store is open.
aktion035.gif
WBR
Joe

drunk.gif

I've seen some places have a "Scat/Mallory" for around that price...they have points. icon8.gif
I don't know what the deal is with that...also they don't list a spring kit...you need Grey/Grey springs!

The unilite has an optical pick-up.
MecGen
Sorry
Whos/whats "A1 Cardone." Please reply
If I go to a type one shop and ask for a 039 dizzy,
and ask him to confirm stamping has 211 or 039, but make sure 311 is not on it anywhere, correct ?
Just PMed you
WBR
Joe

ar15.gif
Tom73
....but back to the purpose of the post.

I see tune up parts listed for the 009, the 050, and the 094. So what would I need for a '71 1.7???

tom...
root
Yea! This is way of original post topic but COOL!

Here's a plot of the stock dizzy Spark Advance vs. RPM.

If nothing else it shows how much more advance range there is
for the mechanical advance (as opposed to the vacuum advance).
3 times more advance from mechanical advance.

wink.gif
914werke
QUOTE(SLITS @ Feb 20 2005, 08:58 AM) *

With the 039 tag, it is a 2 L desigination.

The first number series is the BOSCH OE (manufacturer).

The second number series is the VW/Porsche Part Number.

The "F" desiginates a specific application within the range of cars the part was used on...a revision of the original part.

Most people refer to the dizzy by the last three digits. That is erronous as the numbers do change for an application (Bosch number).

Within the range of dizzys you are concerned with, most of the changes will be the mechanical advance curve that is built in. The addition of a vacuum advance module is more for fuel economy and/or emissions control.

The advance (rate and total) can be changed to fit your application, but it requires a distributor machine and the parts (springs) to do it.

OK so there are a BUNCH of variations to a D-Jet dizzy, and common wisdom is that the difference between them is ... mechanical and vacuum advance curves idea.gif
Ron you say "built in" I assume that means the swinging plates weights and springs used? I checked Brads site but while he lists various part # & associates them to yr there is no advance curve info.
That questions may be irrelevant to my situation but once I dig into something I want to understand it fully.

To explain I was trying to resurrect a 2.0L motor & installed D-jet FI.
Something wasnt right & I pulled the Dizzy to find it bound up, upon closer inspection the dizzy body had a bulge & crack in it from the inside out blink.gif
It appears something went WAY wrong and the springs let loose allowing the weight plates to smack the inner body hard enough to crack it, also scoring the full circumference of the housing.

Now I need to replace it or rebuild it since I have to keep it matched to the other d-jet components.
smash.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.