Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Plumbing up the oil system /6
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PanelBilly
I wanted to engineer a drain into the lines that run from the engine to the oil tank and what I came up with was a T fitting in the line between the oil cooler and the tank.
Originally the T was going to screw directly to the cooler, but it would dump directly on to the headers. Here's what I came up with. First, I couldn't find a 2-3" straight so I
used another T, (this one faces up), then comes a 45 degree and finely the T. This moves the drain off to the side. My mock up is half done in aluminum and half in steel
(cause that's what I could find locally). Damn, the steel is a lot heavier. I'm trying to find the straight and 45 in the blue aluminum so they match. JEGs has the 45, but
so far no straights. My other option would be a 45 with one side longer than the other, but finding that one looks like a reach. Anybody out there have a better idea?

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
euro911
Every fitting is a source for a potential leak. I'd try to find a shop that could fabricate your design from a single piece of tubing with the minimum number of fittings (the 2 connection points and your drain) confused24.gif
914itis
I have the Same arrangement , with less fittings . The T is between my flex line from the rank and tha hard line from the cooler.
Will post a pic when I have a chance .
t collins
this is my oil line/drain arrangement
Click to view attachment
Krieger
On mine, I drilled and tapped the steele coupler for a drain plug(small bolt). The long coupler on the right of your pic could be good if it was in a different spot. I also safety wire it. My build thread has a couple of pics.
zambezi
Another concern might be the weight of all the fittings if unsupported or vibrating while driving.
rhodyguy
You guys are going to melt the driver's side e-brake cable.
stownsen914
I'd be concerned that a run of fittings that long could break from vibration if it's solid mounted to the cooler ...
PanelBilly
QUOTE(t collins @ May 12 2015, 07:19 AM) *

Click to view attachment

That's what I want to do! Thanks
t collins
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ May 12 2015, 10:44 AM) *

QUOTE(t collins @ May 12 2015, 07:19 AM) *

Click to view attachment

That's what I want to do! Thanks

Billy,
You can't see it in the pic but there is a hook/hanger welded to the frame to help hold the tee in place. Let me know if you want a picture of the hanger.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.