Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: removing my relay board cover
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914Next
I know this is so basic but can someone tell me how to remove the relay board cover on my '73? After removing the top nut, I thought it would lift off but it does not. It feels like it would lift off on the side facing the bumper but still seems to be attached on the back side. Don't want to crack or break it by just trying to yank it off.

Steve
Shadowfax
It should lift off easily. Maybe it is getting caught on one of the harness connectors?
cary
Should roll straight back towards the rear of the car.

Kind of depends on what voltage regulator you have. The newer ones create a pretty tight fit against the front portion of the cover.

I would say to remove the voltage regulator. Which makes it a little easier.
But doing so too much can cause issues with the tar on the bottom of the regulator board.
VaccaRabite
I have always pulled the VR. At least on mine it would be VERY tough to get the cover off without the VR being removed.

Zach
914Next
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ May 12 2015, 08:58 AM) *

I have always pulled the VR. At least on mine it would be VERY tough to get the cover off without the VR being removed.

Zach

Thanks guys. Actually, now that I look at it, it seems that it would be almost impossible to lift the relay cover off without removing the voltage regulator. There just isn't enough room to slip the cover between the top of the VR and the engine pad.

I have the original VR on the car. everything is stock.

Is the VR a simple unscrew the two screws and remove?
rhodyguy
Yes.
914Next
thx
cary
Don't push hard putting it back in.
rhodyguy
Clean the ground post forward and below the relay board while you're in there...
michael7810
I have to remove the screw that holds the relay board on the rails and slide the board inward to allow the cover to lift off.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.