Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Question on engine tin
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
daytona
Hi guys,
I apologize in advance if this is posted in the wrong section. I need some help determining the correct color of the engine tin. I am taking the engine from my 1974 2.0 to get powcer coated. I am not sure if it should be painted, semi-gloss, or satin black, or what? Any and all information is welcome. Also, the tin still has the white numbers and letters on the side that looks like "EA370 and 621". Does this need to be protected or not?
Thanks,
Bill.
TheCabinetmaker
I use a 30% gloss paint which translates to a satin finish. Close to factory. If your big on originality, take pics of the stencil and reproduce the font, then restencil. Personally, I would lose the stencil.
daytona
Thanks for the info cabinetmaker. I am still not sure what to do about the stencil.
Bill.
euro911
agree.gif take pix of the factory #s if you plan to do a concours restoration. Someone else recently posted some pix of the #s he reproduced on his restoration. I forgot who it was though dry.gif
Mike Bellis
The correct color is a mix between dirty oil and dirt... poke.gif
Pat Garvey
Plain old Wurth Satin Black.
914runnow
BK-05
JeffBowlsby
QUOTE(daytona @ May 12 2015, 08:50 AM) *

Thanks for the info cabinetmaker. I am still not sure what to do about the stencil.
Bill.

Its really a rubber stamp using paint, not a stencil, if you look closely.
euro911
Hey Pat, did you ever get a stamp made up?
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(euro911 @ Jul 17 2015, 06:20 PM) *

Hey Pat, did you ever get a stamp made up?

No. Lost interest when I had major health problems 16 months ago. But....I MAY be regaining my interest........
nathansnathan
I had a stamp made for the 620 on my 49 state 1.7. I haven't applied it yet though. I'll post pics when I do, but it will be awhile. I believe the font is DIN 1451 Engschrift (Condensed).

The Wurth Flexi Trim Black Satin is the stuff to use, as it won't crack off as easy when adjusting the pieces for fit. I believe it is lacquer. I've done a few pieces and it is really nice how it lays on.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.