Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New seatbelts & indicator issues
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Briby37
Got a set of new seatbelts from Seatbelt Planet. The original driver's side would only pull out barely far enough to buckle me in, and playing with the spring in the tensioner really wasn't something I wanted to try. The project was an easy bolt-on process. I don't think you could even call it a project. And I love the red. See below for a pictures, and a little video of the start-up.

http://www.motoroso.com/collectionItem/view?id=554ebc4b8d7d6

I also have been having issues with the turn signal clicking until the car warms up - only clicking, not actually triggering the indicators. The lights on the tach only function when the flashers are operating, not when the individual indicators are engaged. I tried a new fuse relay, but that seemed to make it worse (tach lights stayed illuminated the whole time, flashers were weak and too rapid). I don't know if I have the electrical confidence to go further with it. I've done a search and found some info, but nothing I'm comfortable trying until I have some more time to play around with it. But if you have simple recommendations, let me know.
zambezi
What does something like that cost for seatbelt planet to rebuild them?
rjames
QUOTE(zambezi @ May 12 2015, 09:57 AM) *

I don't think they rebuild- they only sell new ones.

I've posted this in at least one other thread in the past, but last I checked
Seatbelt Planet makes two belts that will fit in our cars. One you can get from their web site which worked OK (I bought one but didn't like it) and another model that supposedly works like the OEM retractable belts in that they must be mounted vertically to work correctly. That model wasn't available on their web site when I was looking last year, but I was told you can still order it by contacting them directly (and promising them you will mount it correctly). I haven't had in my hands to test.

Contact info for questions (was current 1+ years ago)

Steve Pekrul
Senior Sales Manger
SeatbeltPlanet.com
Toll Free 877-435-6363
Mon-Fri 8am-4:30 pm Central Time

Briby37, The red belts look great in your car. Did you get the belts that must be mounted vertically, or the other type?
Briby37
QUOTE(rjames @ May 12 2015, 10:28 AM) *

I don't think they rebuild- they only sell new ones.

I've posted this in at least one other thread in the past, but last I checked
Seatbelt Planet makes two belts that will fit in our cars. One you can get from their web site which worked OK (I bought one but didn't like it) and another model that supposedly works like the OEM retractable belts in that they must be mounted vertically to work correctly. That model wasn't available on their web site when I was looking last year, but I was told you can still order it by contacting them directly (and promising them you will mount it correctly). I haven't had in my hands to test.

Contact info for questions (was current 1+ years ago)

Steve Pekrul
Senior Sales Manger
SeatbeltPlanet.com
Toll Free 877-435-6363
Mon-Fri 8am-4:30 pm Central Time

Briby37, The red belts look great in your car. Did you get the belts that must be mounted vertically, or the other type?

Yes, they are the vertically mounted variety. They were readily available on the site. If you click into the link in my original post, you'll see a little yellow marker (it looks like a price tag) on the image atop the driver's side belt. Click that, and it'll have all of the product info.
zambezi
I was under the impression that they would re-web your current assemblies. Guess not.
Briby37

I don't think seatbelt planet rebuilds them. There are a few threads out there about retensioning the spring inside the unit, but it wasn't something I wanted to try.
zambezi

Yes, they are the vertically mounted variety. They were readily available on the site. If you click into the link in my original post, you'll see a little yellow marker (it looks like a price tag) on the image atop the driver's side belt. Click that, and it'll have all of the product info.
[/quote]

240.00 for the pair is a pretty good price, and with the ability to customize the color! Do they fit as well as they should and are they smooth operating? I have heard some are finicky if not mounted EXACTLY vertical.
Briby37
[quote name='zambezi' date='May 12 2015, 10:59 AM' post='2185940']
[/quote]

240.00 for the pair is a pretty good price, and with the ability to customize the color! Do they fit as well as they should and are they smooth operating? I have heard some are finicky if not mounted EXACTLY vertical.
[/quote]

They were a very simple install and work about as smoothly as I would hope a new belt would. It's definitely a huge improvement over what I had, and you're right, the color options are terrific. No trouble in mounting them vertically either.

It might be good to note that I'm not sure if they're work with the seatbelt signal on the dash. Mine never worked, so I didn't need to investigate when our not the wires would hook into the female end of the units.
db9146
Seatbelt Solutions http://www.seatbeltsolutions.com/ can remanufacturer your original belts and change the webbing to anyone of a broad number of colors. When I checked with them just last week, I believe it was about $140 per side to refurbish them and replace the webbing.

If you are open to new belts, I'd try Seatbelts Plus http://www.seatbeltsplus.com/?utm_source=B...%20seat%20belts. They have a wide range of colors and new belts are less that the cost to refurbish.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.