Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Coil Meltdown
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
57lincolnman
I discovered that the coil has expanded at one end and leaked some of its oil out of the case. I suspect this was because it was very hot at some point. I have a Mallory system that replaced the points and changed out the coil to what was recommended for the system. Nothing real fancy here with the ignition system just swapped out the points for this. I hadn't noticed any change in the driving of the car... just surprised to see that happen. Thoughts on why this occurred or what I can do to prevent this from happening again?
TheCabinetmaker
Use gloves to clean it up. That stuff is nasty.
Mueller
It shouldn't happen with the Mallory, but I'm pretty sure back in the day with points if you left your ignition on with the car off there was a chance of over saturation of the coil which would lead to it getting hot.

stugray
QUOTE(Mueller @ May 12 2015, 04:51 PM) *

It shouldn't happen with the Mallory, but I'm pretty sure back in the day with points if you left your ignition on with the car off there was a chance of over saturation of the coil which would lead to it getting hot.

agree.gif If power is left on to the coil it is essentially just a 30 watt heater in a small package. It will get hotter & hotter until the battery runs down.

Was the battery dead after the incident?
Olympic 914
QUOTE(stugray @ May 12 2015, 06:58 PM) *

QUOTE(Mueller @ May 12 2015, 04:51 PM) *

agree.gif If power is left on to the coil it is essentially just a 30 watt heater in a small package. It will get hotter & hotter until the battery runs down.

I used to have a Accel super coil on mine once... left the key on with engine off while tuning it up, and the coil exploded. oil filled coil. big mess in the engine compartment.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.