Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Correct brake dust shield for 914-6
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
altitude411
Looking for opinions on which is the correct rear brake dust shields for the 914-6. Pet shows 901.352.801.21 as a vented brake shield on the 6. I placed a WTB in the classified and this debate started that the factory used non-vented shields on sixes.
I have sourced & purchased both kinds of shields, vented and non vented. Some say that vented shields (early 911) were only used on the 914-6 GT as they had vented rotors. Others say vented shields were not necessary on the six as it doesn't have vented rear rotors.
What say you? Vented or non... Just curious and want to educate myself and drink from the knowledge well here on the World.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Sorry for the huge file photo
6freak
no vents in the back smile.gif
altitude411
6Freak, forgive me but I ask because I don't know. Do you say this because you have an original factory six that has non-vented shields?
siverson
I have a very original 1970 914-6 and I also say no vents.

And I think that 6s were cad plated, 4s were painted black.

-Steve
siverson
Here is a good photo:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=2083620

-Steve
altitude411
Steve, are you showing that as an original factory brake shield or something you had replated?
worn
QUOTE(altitude411 @ May 12 2015, 08:15 PM) *

6Freak, forgive me but I ask because I don't know. Do you say this because you have an original factory six that has non-vented shields?

I ended up altering the rear 4 shield to fit the 911 disc. A bit of welding and shaping. No holes. Of course this is for a '72 conversion.
IAA1963
Thank you this Thread. I have hat the same question. My original /6 came with non vented shields. I wanted to change them as they are in very bad shape, but got confused by the two different part numbers in the Porsche cataloge.
altitude411
Your are welcome my friend. I am constantly amazed at the wealth of knowledge and the willingness to share that knowledge that this group of gentleman bring to this site. first.gif

Thanks guys! beerchug.gif
6freak
Click to view attachment

yes
toolguy
Above picture is correct, same as mine. . no vent holes and Yellow cad plated
johnhora
the vented ones are for 911....if I remember correctly ...they don't fit....different hole alignment
altitude411
NOooooo. don't say that. Your crushing my dream dude. I just found and purchase a set of vented shields. headbang.gif I need to PM Eric (PMB). betcha he knows if they fit or not... hands.gif I thought they used them on the GT's? confused24.gif

Mr.242
Not to add salt. But original SIX here with solid shields.

Great info tho on what else is out there and where it all belongs. Someone had to ask...now we all know.
pete000
My six has solid shields in gold cad plating...
altitude411
Wow... gold? bravo.gif
bdstone914
Are the 6 shields larger to accomodare the larger 6 rotors?
914Sixer
For those with inquiring minds the part number for the 914/6 GT rear disc brake shield is 901.352.801.22 . It does not specify if it is vented. The rotor 901.352.041.12 says it is ventilated.
SixerJ
Not super helpful but......various pictures from the factory showing suspension. Taken in 70 I think

The green -6 def has CAD plating on the front which 100% supports others comments, shame you can't see the rear hubs properly

Other shots are just general suspension assembly which doesn't add much to the discussion but interesting none the less from an originality finishes perspective

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
gulf908
Guys

thanks for the correct info on a problem I have with my May '70 914-6.
One of the rear shields has a piece cut out and I erroneously bought a vented shield and it of course didn't fit as I ordered using the parts cd part number.
What is the correct part number for the 'solid gold' shield correct for my car ?
Better still,does anyone have a pair in excellent condition I can buy as both currently on the car are vented ?
These little dandies are not exactly common in these parts .....
I will be in Monterey in September for RR 5.

Cheers
Dennis smile.gif

jkb944t
Interestingly looking through some photos of the 914 GT cars it doesn’t appear that they used any brake shields.

Jeff B
SixerJ
QUOTE(jkb944t @ May 27 2015, 11:52 AM) *

Interestingly looking through some photos of the 914 GT cars it doesn’t appear that they used any brake shields.

Jeff B

How does the old racing saying go, something about the best racing component is the one that's not fitted. Every ounce counts / shields are one less thing to mess about with when servicing etc
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.