Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 engine fires; why..
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
c12croft
why are the 914s seemingly prone to burn? is it endemic of the:

1. air cooled design and higher operating temps?

2. a potential threat always as the result of the way 914ers like to push their cars to the operating limits?

3. potential threat always due to other components of the engine design and installation? smart 914ers always carry an extinguisher.

4. neither of the above, and i should shut up and be shamed off this site!
MecGen

And lets not forget the "lets get drunk and work on my 914" syndrome
beerchug.gif
WBR
Joe
thesey914
I don't think 914s are anymore prone to engine fires that any other manufacture/vehicle.
ws91420
30 YR old rubber on fuel system is a chance to burn on any car.
spare time toys
could be the old gas line aimed at the front of the motor and when (not if) they bust..... gas, hot engine, poof ...fire ball. Ask Clay
Bleyseng
Nope, its caused by the rubber/fabric FI fuel lines with high pressure (30psi) in, around,laying on the engine. High heat makes the fuel line crack spraying gas on a hot engine resulting in a big fire as usually the damn fuel pump keeps running unless the driver quickly turns it off. Once the fire starts it usually has lots of oily greasey grime to keep burning until the magnesium/aluminum stuff catches on fire. Then there is no way to put it out.

Owner maintaince is the real issue! Change out those old hoses and check them for cracks and leaks.
Geoff
davep
I don't know that there is a problem. Yes, there were many fires years ago due to problems with the injector fuel lines. The recall should still be applicable if it has not been done. And why would it not have been done in the last thirty years.

Parts that are 30 years old need to be inspected thoroughly before being used. The fact that so many of these vintage vehicles are being cared for is both a blessing and a curse. Don't go cheap where there is such a risk involved.
dmenche914
I have had no fires in 914's and I have had several. However I have found some near misses

1. The fuel pump in the original location (in back) if not installed right by either the clamp in the wrong position, or mounts moved (maybe cause rust on engine shelf) may rub against the firewall, wearing out the metal housing, and causing a leak, so make sure the pump body is not touching the firewall.

2. Poorly maintained or routed fuel lines. Use the correct high pressure FI lines, the elcheapo cloth wrapped VW Bug type fule lines are not designed to handle FI system pressure. The hoses should be replaced if old, also be aware of rubbing of the hoses so secure them correctly. Use the correct non-sereated hose clamps on all the fittings. do not neglect the hoses under the engine.

3. Old fuel injectors may start to leak at the plastic body. I have seen some so old, that the plastic had cracks in it, and they ozzed fuel, so check them for leaks., just pressurize the system by tuning on the fuel pump a few times after engine is warmed up, adn smell/look for leaks, and replace right away if leaking, do not wait thinking it is only a small leak, it couldf get real big, real fast.

4. The stock plastic tubing that enters the engine bay is prone to deterioration from heat/age, and most of all sulfuric acid. If the tubes as cracking, or have a rough appearance, could be battery acid has started to attack them, so replace them. The acid will make them thin and brittle.

5. Wrong fuel filter used on early cars, or wrong hose to filter. The early filter had small ends, one end wnet to a lared tube, so Porchse has an adaptor hose, big to small, it is pricey, but is the correct hose. without the correct hose, folks end up putting too large a hose on the filter, and compensate by over clamping, not the best thing to do.

6. driver smells gas, but ignores it for a while, then boom!!!

All and all it is aging of the rubber or plastic parts, battery acid damage, or improper installation not paying attention to the above details that cause the fires.

914's are not especially prone to fires, however as in all my cars, I do carry an extingusher
SirAndy
QUOTE (c12croft @ Feb 20 2005, 06:07 AM)
4. neither of the above, and i should shut up and be shamed off this site!

- lack of maintenance/knowledge by owner

- carb conversions that use the stock FI fuel pump and a pressure regulator

- DIY mechanics that use wrong parts (wrong fuel hoses, wrong FI hose clamps)

there's nothing wrong with the design of those engines (in the stock configuration) ...
cool.gif Andy
redshift
wavey.gif

I am a fire survivor. It's the fuel lines, they were old even back when they were kind of new. A hot air cooled motor in the summer with a fresh spray of petrol... MmmMmm...

Transaxles are pretty in the fire. POP! POP!

M
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (redshift @ Feb 20 2005, 12:37 PM)
wavey.gif

I am a fire survivor. It's the fuel lines, they were old even back when they were kind of new. A hot air cooled motor in the summer with a fresh spray of petrol... MmmMmm...

Transaxles are pretty in the fire. POP! POP!

M

you sure it isnt bad gas? laugh.gif laugh.gif
Maltese Falcon
The factory actually realized a dangerous condition existed, could be why I received a "Recall notice" circa 1975, for a FIX. It was a black plastic lid for the battery top. I reckon that the fix was aimed at keeping residual rain/ carwash water & battery acid from eating the fuel lines into/out of the fuel components , at least on that side.
Fires did occur, but also on Fiat X1-9s. A tow truck operator I know, used to refer to the 914 as the "Toaster" . blink.gif
redshift
hahahah Aaron is funny (looking)

M
type47fan
QUOTE (Maltese Falcon @ Feb 20 2005, 12:20 PM)
The factory actually realized a dangerous condition existed, could be why I received a "Recall notice" circa 1975, for a FIX. It was a black plastic lid for the battery top. I reckon that the fix was aimed at keeping residual rain/ carwash water & battery acid  from eating the fuel lines into/out of the fuel components , at least on that side.

agree.gif
OEM fabric covered rubber fuel lines: if you still have them, you're at risk! I had the fuel lines on two 914s I've owned fixed by the dealer under that recall. The recall kit consisted of that battery cover mentioned and replacing the lines with stout rubber fuel hoses.
porschewrench
The fires in 914 are caused by the battery acid (battery in stock location in engine compartment) dripping down,
eating the spark plug wires on that side and the fuel lines.
Thus, the corroded (eaten) spark plug wires give a spark when the fuel lines finally rupture from being eaten by the battery acid. This was a problem in the early '70's.
I saw many a 914 burn because of this. I am a factory trained Porsche mechanic and have worked for the dealer since 1971 and worked on thousands of 914's. Don't be confused with the recalls they had to relocate the fuel pump to the front of the car. This was to keep them from vapor locking in hot environments (we would have new 914's leave the dealership, go up the highway 9 - 11 miles, vapor lock and stop). Paul B.
porschewrench
Concerning the black plastic lid-that was a recall that they later changed to relocating the battery into the middle of the rear trunk in a plastic battery box. Battery cables are stretched across the middle of the engine compartment,
half-inch hole cut into trunk, cable pulled through to battery in plastic box in trunk and then ground cable bolted to rear trunk floor. Paul
porschewrench
For those who didn't catch this early it would eat the metal stock battery holder and go down and eat the suspension console(ear ) that the trailing arm bolts. I have actually seen the right rear rear & trailing arm come off. Paul B.
Maltese Falcon
Paul, what year was the "Battery" relocation ?? I thought that the batteries were moved by the aftermarket guys--not Porsche Audi dealers blink.gif
I remember driving to Palm Springs one hot day , about 110 deg in the shade. Every time it would vapor lock, I'd pull into a gas station or someones driveway and hose off the fuel pump with cold water. that would get me another 20 miles down the road.
I must have really like this "New" car to put up with that ! screwy.gif
Marty
porschewrench
At the time (1971 ) the Porsche dealership was owned by the factory( so was our sister vw dealership) so when problems like this occured the Porsche reps would usually experiment in our shop. So we a leg up on all the recalls' I think it was around 1973 when the plastic battery box (it is a marine (boat) bat box actually) recall came about. The reps came in and figured out how to relocate the fuel pump to the front with as little parts as possible and also told us to go and buy a marine battery box ,then showed us how they wanted it installed. Paul B.
Maltese Falcon
Paul, does Nolan still work in parts dept @ Holbert's Porsche ? I used to sell him exhaust parts back in '70s and 80's ... parts that the factory guys hated to see installed ohmy.gif
marty
DJsRepS
I had new lines and clamps and posted this pic and everyone said loose those clamps and use the oem band style. I went to ricks VW in Sarasota Fl and he had no sorce and said my clamps were ok. A week later I smelled gas and had a clamp loosen on the cold injector near the distributer. Close call. Still dont have the right clamps I just check them more often.
IronHillRestorations
You can get the correct fuel line clamps from your nearest Porsche dealer. They aren't that much more than the worm screw clamps that tear the fuel lines.

The HO recall campaign is still active. If your car was never retro fitted at a dealer, it can still be done. Doubt if anyone still has a 914 that would qualify though.
Bleyseng
Change out those worm and screw clamps asap. They just cut into the hose and make it leak which leads to a fire even on h2O engines those clamps are crap. Lots of places on the net to order them also. ar15.gif

Geoff
TheCabinetmaker
I get em O'Rielly's. Says "fuel injection hose clamps" on the package. rolleyes.gif
Rusty
QUOTE (vsg914 @ Mar 15 2005, 09:53 AM)
I get em O'Rielly's. Says "fuel injection hose clamps" on the package. rolleyes.gif

agree.gif Yeah. Go to your local FLAPS.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.